Timers and Recording - how's it all work?!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by buccaneer, Sep 22, 2007.

1. buccaneer

buccaneer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Heres a nice easy newbie question; I don't have a DVDR so bare with me :rolleyes:. Obviously you can record from an 7-day EPG and do simple one touch real time recording. But for arguments sake; say I wanted to record at 8pm every thurs on a particular channel for a month. Is this possible, regardless of a working EPG, or not? Thanks.

2. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Any machine would do that but for making just 4 recordings you'd have to cancel the timer after a month. It's similar to a video recorder.

The Sony 870 has series link so would do it for you if the series ended. There's bugs and work arounds but I think that is down to freeview and Sony having problems interfacing with it.

3. buccaneer

buccaneer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok thanks. Yeh I been reading all the issues and threads on various machines. I know the problems with EPG's, my digitv card plays up all the time, and I've just given up on it.

It's a shame more people don't post when things go smoothly rather than going tits up. I guess you just have to look for whats NOT on the forums in some cases. The newish EX77 looks a good bet tbh. If there's a unit out there with not many posts its either bloody good because there's no problems, or its bloody awful because nobody wants it :D

I just posted in the PVR section re a toppy. I'm thinking of sending it back and getting a refund (since its damaged; rather than an exchange) and going DVDR. These DVDR's seem to give a proper ball ache to a few people though. Which is a bit worrying.

Digital pfffffffft, more trouble than its worth imho. God knows how non tech savy people cope. I struggle and i've got a 1st degree in electronic engineering :rotfl:

4. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    i have the Pana EX77, the timer recording from the EPG is very very simple. you just press OK on the prog you want to record, and then adjust the start and end times if you want to make sure you get the end of the programme, then select which drive you want to record from (HDD or DVD), then set the quality (you can't do this with the Samsung 853/855, it just records the prog in whatever quality mode it wants to).

you can also set Subtitles to ON, so the prog you recorded will have permanently displayed subtitles.

before the prog starts, you can go back and edit any of these parameters (change quality, start/end time, subtitles on/off, HDD or DVD).

i don't think it does series record though, so if you recorded the same show everyday at the same time, i think you'd just have to set it to record from the EPG every 7 days. i don't record the same thing everyday so don't know much about it.

another thing is that you don't have to switch the machine off to activate the timer recording, you can be watching something you already recorded to HDD, or watch a dvd, and the prog will just record, despite you using the machine. (you have to switch the Samsung off to activate the timer, and it will switch itself off once the recording has finished, even if you're watching something from the hdd or dvd!)

had my EX77 just over a week, it's superb.

5. buccaneer

buccaneer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that MuksC. It certainly sounds like a good peice of kit that EX77. How are the menu's for speed and sluggishness?

I'm just worried about EPG drop outs. Thing i like about the toppy is that you can get EPG data stored on the hard drive and not have it load up each time on start up. Obviously less prone to errors then presumably.

6. mrfreeview

mrfreeview

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being able to set the "Series Link" option against a Timer you have set in the SONY HXD-*70 range of machines is determined by the Broadcaster of the EPG data.

So if the "Series Flag" is not included then I don't believe you can set "Series" against a program.

I Hope my post has been of use
    :)

7. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    yeah not bad, i don't have any quibbles about it.

when you press the Guide button, you get a 7-channel display showing you the programmes between now and the next couple of hours. you can go forward by 24 hours with a press of one of the coloured buttons, and can cycle down through the channels either by continually pressing the South-direction button on the 4-way button, or you can go to thenext 7-channel page by pressing the page down button, to skip through channel faster.

while watching a channel, if you press the info button you can see what is on now, and then press the East direction button to see what's on next. but this is the limit for any 1 channel, you can only see what is on now and next, it's not like Sky where you can see what's on in the next 6 hours.

if you then press the North or South button, you can cycle through the channels and also see what is on Now and Next.

overall it works well, it's pretty quick and i've had no problems using it.

just today i set up my channel order preferences (Profile), sort of like a Favourites list like you get with Sky. i selected only the channels i am interested in, and then ordered them how i wanted (for example ITV 3 and ITV 4 are quite far apart from each other, so i regrouped them next to each other, and also next to ITV2 and ITV2+1).

now when i press the Guide button, i have the channels displayed in the order i want them, and i don't see the unimportant channels anymore, the ones i never watched anyway.