Timer Setting on Panasonics

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MikeNolan, Mar 31, 2005.

1. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if you can use the Sky+ EPG facility to setup a timer recording on a Panasonic, or do you have to use the conventional date/day/time method like VHS?

2. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes you can.
    If you connect the VCR Scart output of the Sky box to the AV2 input on the Panasonic DVD recorder, then go into Functions, Setup, Connections and change the AV2 setting to External Link 1 then you can use the Sky program planner to control the DVD recorder.

3. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Will this work with a normal sky box or do you need Sky+?

Thanks

4. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is the same on all Sky boxes and works with all Panasonic DVD recorders as they support "External Link 1" for Sky and "External Link 2" for Freeview boxes & IDTVs. You just need to connect them correctly and setup the DVD recorder properly, although this should be explained in the user manual, but who reads them anyway ;-)

5. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    However, would you not get better PQ using the TV scart out on the Sky/+ box as this supports RGB?
    Is the VCR output S-video or composite only?

6. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Hi

Can you clarify things for me

I want to buy the panasonic hard disk dvd recorder but need a nice electronic program guide to select the programs to record

The freeview adapters and sky normal box have nice epg but I need a method to link these to the hard disk recorder

ie record bbc1 at 8.00pm for 1 hour then record bbc2 at 9.00pm for 1 hour

I imagine the panasonic has an analogue tuner with epg that only works for the analogue channels for its tuner

This is a problem as analogue will get switched off in the future and when that happens the nice panasonic epg becomes useless

So if there is a way to link a freeview box of sky normal box to set up recording schedules that can then be fed into the Panasonic, then this would be great

Can you tell me if this can be acheived?

Many thanks

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    AS explained above you can achieve this by using the external link function but this has disadvantages:
    1) You canot record in rgb quality, as the signal has to be in video quality to work.
    2) You will loose at least the first 30 seconds of the recording whilst the machine loads the software and gets ready to go.
    3) Programs often over-run and will loose the end of the program if the epg says it should have finished before it actually has.

AS it is easy to use the sky program link function to set up multiple recordings and the panasonic regular recording set-up, and most programs you will want to record are on each week, why not just set up both, record in rgb, and allow a little overlap in times to ensure you get the whole program. I spend about 15 mins on a saturday and set up both to record everything I want for the whole week, check that timings have not changed, whether there are any series I want to add in, and then leave the machine to do its job. I hardly ever sit down at an advertised time now to watch a program, and this way I can skip all the ads as well.

8. Bouncy Pete

Bouncy Pete
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought. Most companies publish the user manuals on their web sites so you can read up on how a certain recorder should work before you buy.

9. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    garydhooper: I'm not sure what video type the Sky VCR Scart output is. I guess if it's S-Video at best then you have to make your choice.

z5461313: The EPG is not on the DVD recorder itself (except the Freeview models which haven't been released yet). You would use the Program Planner on Sky to select the program that you want to record.