Timelapse of installation of a home charging point for an electric car

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,569
    Our Ioniq is arriving June, so I arranged for Pod Point to come install a 7Kw charge point on the front of our house.
    I recorded it on several cameras and edited together this timelapse so you can see the process involved. It's very straight forward.

Electric Hyundai Ioniq owner's vlog #2:...

The chap from Pod point was very efficient. Had obviously done a ton of installs.
    Did a neat job quickly and left the place tidy. He was very happy to answer my questions as well. If we get a second electric car, I'll have Pod point back for a second charger.
    Electric Car Charging Stations | POD Point

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    Nice work Stuart. Great minds think alike......I just filled in the stuff to get Pod Point to fit one for me...hope to have my own Ioniq in two weeks....can't wait.

3. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,255
    That's useful, I never a knew a Henley block was a thing :thumbsup:. Our installation may be a bit more complex as we converted our garage into a study, so can't just run cables inside it. Conduit on the outside may be an option if not pretty.

4. Markee

Markee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    In the office so didn't have the sound on.

So, he turned off all the circuits in the consumer unit and connected to the consumer side of the consumer fuse live? Did I miss a stage?

5. sparkie1984

sparkie1984
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,953
    Yeah they normally just set it up on it’s own small RCD board.

Some of my colleagues have just been on a course for chargers with interesting points raised like the additional load added to the house supply! So if you’re in a house which sits close to the amperage of the main fuse you may find it being tipped over the edge with a beefy charger installed.

Electricians critique:

- Cable bends look rather naff to say the least!!
    - armoured cable should be terminated via a proper cable gland to ensure earth continuity to the steel wire armouring of the cable. Suppose something pierced the live conductor inside that cable and the steel armouring became live? How will it trip a breaker with no fault path.

That’s just lazy work pure and simple..

It’s a 6/10 from me

6. stiv674

stiv674

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    I agree with your critique, should be glanded at one end at least...

As for the extra load, I presume most charging will be done overnight so shouldn't be an issue.

7. sparkie1984

sparkie1984
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,953
    Yes you are quite correct, you never know though!

Just finished a job where the client has solar roof tiles that charge a Tesla power wall.

What a bit of kit! Only Tesla trained installers allowed to fit their kit though apparently.

8. stiv674

stiv674

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Maybe smarter chargers will be required that read the 'current' demand of the house and regulate the charging output to suit, maybe only on larger properties. I'm doing a fairly large five bed house at the moment, two air source heat pumps and Western power have installed an 80 amp main fuse... :rolleyes:

I hope the power wall is better quality than their cars... where's the running for cover smiley? ;)

9. sparkie1984

sparkie1984
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,953
    80 amp, no car chargers for your client then :D

Don’t think I’ve seen much less than 100Amp go in by UKPN nowadays

The smart meter / charger idea is a very good one!

I hear there’s also talk about creating a standalone earthing system for car chargers also which could be interesting.

10. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,255
    We have 4 32 amp circuits (2 rings, a cooker and a shower), 2 16A circuits and 2 6 amp circuits all running off the 60 amp main fuse. Then there is the car charger at 32A :eek:

That's 208 Amps if my maths is correct. Eeek... Just as well we don't turn everything on at once.

11. stiv674

stiv674

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    He is considering one, 16 amp only possibly! I've told him to contact them and see if they can upgrade it.
    He should have already contacted them with an application form for the heating I think.

12. sparkie1984

sparkie1984
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,953
    @IronGiant

Ahh good old diversity (not the dance group) logic says (hopes) you’ll never be running that all at full whack.

13. stiv674

stiv674

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Haha, yes it's surprising how much it can effect certain things, even a 45 amp range cooker can be rated below 30 amps when allowing for it...

14. stiv674

stiv674

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Yeah I've heard that recently too, belt and braces approach or to keep the charger isolated from the main house earth...

That'll be fun for the installers!

15. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,255
    Looking at the logs, I don't think we have ever gone over 10kW at the same time, but I keep it in mind. Just spent 2 weeks on holiday with the Caravan on a site with a 10A limit, that gets you juggling the induction hob, convection oven/microwave and electric heating carefully :)

16. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,247
    Although we have different ways of doing it out here (older houses from poles and transformers on the house). The infrastructure simply doesn’t let you increase the main fuse ad infinitum :(

Just had an extension and changed gas cooking for 32A induction and two 16A ovens. Added two mains circuits to the two we had (16A each here - not ring final circuits). So 96A added to the previous 80A still there. Allowed roughly double the main fuse which was 60A and is now 80A.

Apparently if I want to add ducted reverse cycle or a car charger (basically anything else beyond one mains circuit) I need to go to three phase :(

I was considering the move to an EV (or two) fairly soon. Of course my house will take several thousands of dollars more than the normal $3,000 (new meter and actual cable pull through and connection) or so plus trenching costs, to change the 20 metres of overhead single phase to the now mandatory underground supply). We are on a rock hill with a light dusting of dirt and the trench need to be 600mm minimum. Down the slope to the 1metre tier then 600mm below that tk the house 1.5 metres away.

Then of course my solar suits single phase at the moment. I might need to rely on public charging! Which in Canberra is rarer than hens teeth (unless I take out another mortgage and get two Teslas) :)