Timed recordings and channel changes. Freeview->DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DeadMan3000, Dec 17, 2004.

1. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now got a Pioneer DVR-220-S. I am trying to figure out the best way to record programmes and have the ability to switch channels on my Humax F2-FOX T Freeview box. The Freeview box allows you to schedule channel changes and the Pioneer allows auto timer to respond to a signal from the SCART. The trouble is it looks like when you put the DVD recorder into standby awaiting the signal it immediately restarts and begins recording if the Freeviw box is on as it's detecting the signal right away. If I switch the Freeview box off it will not come back on even though a programme is scheduled. The only other option is to either set the Freeview box 'ON' timer to switch on at the time of the scheduled recording which will set off the DVD recorders auto timer detection or set the timer on the DVD recorder to begin at the same time the schedule is set on the Freeview box and then let the Freeview box do it's scheduled channel changing thing. Kinda annoying as an extra timer step has to be taken other than just setting a schedule on the freeview box and putting the DVD recorder into auto timer standby mode which would have been ideal.

Hmm.

2. brownrog

brownrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure I've understood what is happening here. Are you saying the Humax has to be ON for its timer to work - in other words that its timer won't wake it up from "Standby". I don't know the Humax box but my Thomson DTI1000 can be left in Standby with a set of programmes set up in its timer and the timer will wake it up for each programme and put it back into standby at the end time. The signal on the SCART output isn't generated until it comes on. So I leave my recorder in auto-start (it's a Pio 420 with HDD but otherwise similar to the 220) and it is entirely controlled by the Thomson's timer - works perfectly. If the Humax has to be ON for its timer to work or somehow generates a trigger signal when in standby (unlikely), you would have no choice but to use both timers as you say. The middle bit of your post confuses me as you seem to be saying there that it IS an option to do exactly what you want to do! If the problem is that you want to watch TV when the auto-start timing has been set up then either take the recorder out of auto-start (just turn it on) while you're watching, or spend £40 on a second Freeview box connected directly to the telly! Hope this helps.

3. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Freeview box has a timer on and off setting. It also has a schedule for channel/programme changing that you can set. My ideal would have been that the scheduler acting as the recorders trigger. But if the Freeview box is on then simply by being 'on' it triggers the auto timer on the DVD recorder regardless of what programmes are scheduled and if the Freeview is off it ignores programme schedule and only listens to 'ON' and 'OFF' times.

Does that make any sense? :)

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes. All the 'Auto Start' DVD recorder are the same (Panasonic's is External Link).
    It happens because the trigger signal is on the same scart pin (8) as the WS format signal.

I'm afraid it's a two-timer job until Freeview DVD machines arrive.
    I reckon that will be next spring/summer, just to annoy all the people who've bought in the back half of 2004 :) (me included)

I thought Auto Start would be great, It was one of my reasons for rejecting the Toshiba 32, as its IR transmitter won't cope with Freeview boxes (not mine anyway).

I'm happy with the Pioneer 420, but the Freeview box On problem was too annoying, so I set both timers and leave the F'view box On and it changes channels as required.

Also I wanted to feed the F'view box TV-out RGB through a Pioneer 420 so I could record Freeview and watch and playback all in RGB, and the Freeview TV-out doesn't turn on at all under timer control.

5. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand that last bit. What do you mean the TV out does not turn on under timer control?

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If the Freeview box timer is set, and the the box is turned to standby, then when it turns on (because the timer triggers it), there is no output signal from the TV-out scart, only from the Recorder-out scart (ofted called VCR-out). If this is connected to an Auto Start recorder (including some VCRs) then the recorder starts.

I asked Grundig (my Freeview box) about this and they said it was because a signal from the TV scart turns on a lot of TV which are in standby (true with a Sony TV), or if the TV is already on watching a non-Freeview source, then the TV will change channels to the Freeview box (also true).

This is because the TVs are in a sort of permanent 'Auto Start' mode when the power is on.
    I gather this is true of many freeview boxes.

Obviously the problem doesn't arise if the Freeview box is already switched on. Then the timer just causes it to select the appropriate channel and usually 'lock' so you can't accidentally change channels during a timer event. The TV-out does not turn off.