Time to upgrade?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by rscott4563, Apr 24, 2004.

1. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Whats the current situation with video cards, is this a good ime to buy or will I be shooting myself in the foot.

I've currently got a Sapphire ATI 9700Pro 128MB and am planning on upgrading my system and using the left overs for the basis of a HTPC, should I get a 9800Pro 128MB and use the 9700 for the HTPC or would it be better to get a more HTPC suited card and keep my 9700Pro for gaming for now??

I'm going to upgrade my P4 2.4GHz (533) to a 3/3.2GHz (800), which would be a better choice, is the 3GHz just as capable as the 3.2GHz if I overclock a little??

Thanks

Ryan :thumbsup:

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I'd say personally your graphics cards is fine for the time being. How much ram do you have? That is often the weak link. Although you have a relatively poor cpu, but again i'd wait a bit longer and see how the newest amd 64bit processors look and commit then.

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Personally i'd stick with it for another few months until the next gen cards have come out and their prices have dropped a bit from their initial hike up. I have a GF4 Ti4400 and my plan is to look at a card somewhere in the mid to top range bracket, of the next gen cards once they have come out.

The 9800 pro is a good card but this next generation of cards is reported to be the largest performance gain for a long time (since the NvIDIA GeForce cards replaced the TNT cards). Whilst you can get them for around £130 now the shelf life of a 9800 will not be that long IMO and you may well find yourself upgrading again in a years time or less!

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    The 9800pro is only about 10% faster than the 9700pro (works out at about 5-10 fps) and is not a worthwhile upgrade imo. I'm in the same boat myself (wanting to upgrade) but I'm gonna wait till the new hardware becomes available with relative reviews before going ahead. There is no mention in your post as to what memory you have if you only have 512MB then upgrading to 1024MB by the addition of another stick would be a good upgrade. A lot of games eat memory these days.

5. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your replies, to answer the questions, I have 2x256MB PC3000 Corsair and I have my processor running at 2.7GHz (150fsb).

I don't think it would be worth my time to upgrade my memory if I didn't upgrade my motherboard and processor. So saying I keep my current 9700pro my upgrade would just be for a motherboard and processor, I want to stick with intel, what would be your recommendation, this would be a gaming PC so performance is important but I don't want to spend a fortune, so no extreme edition P4's!!

Cheers

Ryan

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    For the best performance at the best price then It's AMD all the way for me:)
    They appear to be a lot better at overclocking too but don't listen to me I'm biased:blush:
    I'd hang on a while longer as the new crop of g cards my have pci express which will be a mobo change too. When they become available I'll just shop around to see which gives the best performance at the lowest price at the time(If that's intel- so be it but I'm doubtfull;) )

p.s. That extra memory really would help as you'll have less file access in games leading to smoother running etc. Worth spending £60 getting another 512mb stick imo :smashin:

7. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    9700pro was well ahead of its time

Its DX9 capable - has 8 pipelines (as opposed to 4 which a lot of newer GFX cards still use) and is easily overclockable.

You have no reason to buy a newer card - I would leave it now until PCI express GFX cards and mobos are common 1st half of next year.

8. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    yep, just like everyone says keep the card you have for a while, there isnt a big demand in games for anything "much" better yet

spend the cash on some ram :smashin:
    if you want a gamer pc i recommend AMD ;)

9. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I been wanting to upgrade my PC for a while now (XP 2400, Ti4200 128MB) but am holding off for the new BTX standard with PCI Express, DDR2, SATA, And a socket 939 AMD 64

i just wish they would hurry up with BTX

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    I've always been a big fan of AMD and have found them to provide the best performance for the best price. You can get a 3000 xp Barton for around a ton these days I think which is great value.

11. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all your replies, for once this forum is going to save me money, I'm going to stick with my 9700pro for a while longer.

Anyone give me some expected dates for things like BTX, PCI Express etc.... I know PCI Express is the new universal input architecture, replacing PCI and AGP, but does anyone know if it will be backwards compatible and will it be used in conjunction with PCI and AGP for a while on the first lot of motherboards? I'm assuming BTX is the new AT, ATX, ITX etc....?

Thanks

Ryan

12. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep BTX is going to be the new standard, and it will mean changing EVERYTHING including your PC case as the board is back to front,

I have asked various companies and i am been told 4th quater of this year

AnandTech have a good write up about it

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1876

Basically BTX means, New BTX Case, new motherboard, DDR2 Memory, PCI Express Gfx Card, SATA Hard drives, i will be getting a AMD Athlon 64 as well (Socket 939)

Good news is you get to keep ya Monitor :)

I have the money saved up i am just waiting for it to arrive now

From what i have heard the motherboard will have NO AGP slots they will have 1 x16 PCI express slot for Gfx Card, 2 PCI express x1 Slot and then a couple of 32-Bit PCI slots depending on manufacturer

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Yes I must say that's an interesting article. This change is by far the biggest thing to hit the PC Market since the move away from AT to ATX.

I can see this reducing the size of PC's, making them more efficient and quieter whilst at the same time providing a huge performance level notch up far greater than the what we've seen over the last few years.

To be honest it shouldn't be much more of an upgrade shock than that usually experienced. I personally tend to upgrade processor, mobo, case and memory at the same time with G-Card separate. HD's are only really upgraded ATM when more storage is required or if they fail. For me it would be like a normal upgrade but with a new graphics card and HD thrown in.

I guess the main decision I need to make is whether to go for say an nVidia 5600 AGP or wait until the BTX format has been released and get a PCI Express card then. Tricky one, especially as BTX is due out this year.

14. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep looks very promising, and from what i have been hearing from manufacturers (i sell computer components) prices of the new gear wont be more than 10% more than the current hardware EG DDR2 memory, BTX Motherboards etc this is once it hits mass production you can buy DDR2 memory now from crucial but its very exspensive and will be until mass production starts.

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    That's good news Betamac, looks like the prudent thing is to wait on then until this stuff hit's the mass production stage.

I just hope the wait isn't too long ;)