Time to upgrade / update my sub - help!?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Anton2015, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,589
    Hi all.

I currently have a 5.1.2 set up.

Speakers are all B&W M1's

Existing sub is an M&K VX100 (this is a very compact DF 8inch sub) never had any issues, still works perfectly but I've updated the rest of my system and I'm wondering if it's now time to update this!!

My room is around 17ft x 10ft

I sit around. 6 feet away from the sub. Which is located next to the tv on the right. Will put a pic below.

The VX100 sub always had a reputation on punching above a is weight, and being fast too.

I watch movies 80% of the time. Music & games 10% each.

I'm probably going to try and source a used sub rather than new to get better value.

Been looking at the BK 200/400 and the SVS 1000

Does anyone have any recommend sub that would not only sound great but be an upgrade. ?

When my sub was new it was £800 but tech has come down in price since the. So I don't know if some of these new subs that retails for around £400-500 would still be on par wil quality wise or not as clearly I wouldn't want to take a step back.

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

2. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,589
    ImageUploadedByAVForums1460129024.062303.jpg

As you can see very small sub currently on the right of tv.

3. droidlike

droidlike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    ported subs are your best bet since you watch movies much more then listening music

so to start

BK Monolith-FF
    yamaha yst ns-sw300 (it has even a switch in the back for movie or music !)
    svs pb100
    other ported sub

4. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,589

Ahhh thanks so much! Really good advice.

That helps narrow it down.

I really like the idea of front firing rather than down firing as I have now (no idea if that's better or not just like the way they look )

May I ask if you have heard any of those 3 and if so which impressed?

5. droidlike

droidlike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I do have the yamaha ns-sw300 and the sealed sb13-ultra (3600 watts peak , ouch , 460hz max)

yamaha is terrific with both movies and music but
    it does NOT deep as low and as loud as the really beast-monster sub svs sb13-u

FF vs DF
    it depends on the feeling you do prefer / like
    while hearing low frequencies

so
    if you like to feel your body/room trembles
    then go for DF

you like the pressure of low bass in your face/skin go for FF

DF may be useful if you do have childrens or pets in your home
    and
    DF can be hidden more easly with your furniture
    and it can even be used as an additional seat !

please have a look at Arendal Sound Handbook

Arendal Sound Handbook 2016-1 - Yumpu.com

at the very end of it you'll find a ton of explanation about ported/vented versus sealed sub

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  6. boxer dog

boxer dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    If the monolith is too big, check out its smaller brother the 400. Great subs both of them.

7. droidlike

droidlike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    400 is a sealed sub which means that it is especially good/fantastic for music, but
    a ported sub model like the bk monolith or yamaha ns-sw300 or svs pb-1000/2000
    is the best bet for Anton2015
    since he is mainly
    watching movies

isn't it ?

8. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,589
    Thanks both!

That SB ultra is a beast!!!!! I actually think it would bring my house down lol

Never bought of looking at Yamaha for subs!? Though I've just bought their new(ish) Aventage A1050 AV amp so could also be a good match.

Does seem like ported will be the way forward for me as movies is my main priority and whilst I do listen to music sometimes, I'm no where near as critical and usually have it running on 7 channel just to fill the room and often sound out in to the garden (summer if we ever gave one)

I'll have a look at that handbook also.

Last question, without perhaps you ever hearing my existing M&K VX100, these newer subs you are recommending, you'd think they would be a good improvement? I know on paper they may have a bigger driver or power but it doesn't always mean everything.

As I will sell the VX100 ( or part X) and out those funds towards the new one :)

9. droidlike

droidlike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    m&k vx-100 is a 8" cone ported sub, 100w amp, 37 x33 x28cm, age late 1990 $2599 .

M&K VX-100 – AudioEnz

we are now in the third millenium and sub are now a little bit different
    but not so much
    and newer sub can do not much more than your current ported 8" 100w sub

if you do really need to test them
    then go for svs at L-Sound pb-1000 or pb-2000
    and they 'll give you 45 days buy & try

SVS PB-1000 Black Ash

L-Sound is the Svs reseller in Europe from 2005
    and last year after 10 years it founded its own company, that is ,
    Arendal Sound with its wonderful handbook

10. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,589
    Thanks again droidlike - lots for me to read up on. That Yamaha can be bought for just £220 brand new which seems such a low amount of money. I think that's why I'm partly concerned lol

The try and buy scenario really does appeal as I'd hate to purchase something that whilst on paper suggests it's bigger and better yet in the real world it's not!

Will check out the handbook and thank you again.

A.

11. Marshall Mike

Marshall Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Don't discount sealed subs just yet, I believe if your room is 3000 cubic feet or less then sealed may be preferable and I suspect your room is. The Arendal subs mentioned above for example are mostly sealed with the exception of their biggest model, the sub 3 which is huge! A lot of members are favouring the sub 2 though, which is sealed.

12. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,589
    Thanks Marshall. I have been having a look at the handbook and whilst Arendal seems to be way out of my price range for sub - it does have a lot if info :)

You are righty room I wouldn't I is far less that 3000 cubic feet. Placement of the sub also needs to remain to the right of the tv as it is now.

I like the idea of perhaps getting a test in my own home to really get a sense if my existing sub is now lacking compared to the ones on my shortlist.

Decisions decisions lol

13. droidlike

droidlike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Anton2015, beaware that going to much bigger the sub will work closely with you room
    that is , in low freq and hi power your room became an integral part of your bigger sub
    that's why if you go 10" 12" or bigger you do need to room equilise with the Dspeaker and alike

that's why in soundbars and low end ht the sub is around 7",
    going with bigger sub is
    search for trouble
    to match it with your room

if you happen to try bigger subs
    don't forget to order

SVS SoundPath Isolation System 4 Kit

decouples and isolates the subwoofer from the flooring, resulting in tighter and cleaner sounding bass, less buzz/rattle in the room, and fewer complaints from adjacent neighbors in apartments and townhouses. It’s the next best thing to sound-proofing!

The SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System works with any brand of subwoofer which accepts screw-in feet. Developed with extensive accelerometer and acoustic measurements, this system features optimized durometer elastomer feet which significantly reduce floor vibration.

For $50, the SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System is a no-brainer… bass performance was subtly but noticeably improved...rest assured the neighbors will love it!Big Picture Big Sound, Review by Greg Robinson, 12/18/2013. Read Review

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  14. Marshall Mike

Marshall Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    I was going to ask about placement, you might get away with repositioning your existing sub. Did you ever do a sub crawl or is there really no option but to put it there? REW room sim could give you a good idea on better placement too. I hope you aren't sitting in a null…

And that £250 Yamaha isn't the sub you are looking for, that will be a big step down I would think, you want to take a step up.

You have plenty of options and you probably won't be disappointed with whatever road you end up taking. As well as the BK 400 mentioned also look at the SVS SB-2000. From the same family as the PB-2000 except it's in a sealed enclosure.

And if you want to go second hand also keep an eye on the movierooms, Dan has some great deals and would be happy to exchange your existing sub I'm sure. Worth checking out anyway! He also does home demos but I'm not sure if that's for new stuff only.

15. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,589
    Thanks you both so much.

Certainly don't intend to go too large. Maybe just to 10inch. Though I noticed SB version sometimes have a slightly larger driver.

Looking at the various subs I think I prefer DF as it goes as I'm not keen on the cloth grills on the front of FF.

So again this narrows down my search even more.

SB / PB
    DF
    Black

Will also check out both the Rell software and the site movie rooms.

Thank you!!!

16. lgans316

lgans316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    Besides BK, most of the subs like SVS, Arendal, PSA etc. have to be imported from Europe paying in EUR.

In the past 4 months, £ has weakened by 15% against the € and around 17% against the $.

So importing could be expensive and may soon become impossible for the average folks if UK is out of the EU.

17. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,589

Hi Marshall.

I should probably say I do get good base now. Often have to turn it down. Just thinking as I've updated everything else and technology has improved, maybe there's an opportunity to improve upon what I've got for little cost. That said, it's quite possible that this isn't the case! Lol

I've just left Dan a voicemail to see what he has that may be a good fit and also see how much they would part ex mine for.

I have set up my sub correctly, I think. Using test tones and a radio Shake spl (analog) and the only annoyance is sometimes the base is still quite strong even in parts of tv / movies that you wouldn't thinking it's needed, but you don't want to turn it down necessarily as you want that 'punch' when it is required.

It doesn't really sound boomy at all, it's not in a corner etc. I may even me over thinking this trying to tell myself I need need need a new sub which I do often do lol

I originally bought the M&K sub as part of a full M&K set up and it did always work extremely well. Not I don't have any M&K speakers just wasn't sure if I should stay with it or look at something newer.

18. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,589
    Thanks for all your help people.

I've had a really good conversation with Dan at the movie rooms. He was extremely helpful.

He thinks for me to hear a considerable improvement over my existing sub I really need to be looking at a higher grade of subs such as velodyne in the £1000-1500 range.

He would be far too concerned I could be spending £500-700 on an sub and it wouldn't be an upgrade at all.

Whilst the VX100 is a very small sub, it really does punch above is weight and I could be disappointed if I am not careful.

Whilst AV has come along way over the last X years - this has been more in relation to the picture and audio side rather than subwoofer it seems.

Thank you to all for your help, thoughts and advice.

Really helpful and will re visit when I am in a position to increase the budget considerably.

19. Marshall Mike

Marshall Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Yeah that's what I was trying to alude above, you want a step up, not to the side or down.

I've heard the Velodynes in action at Dans, very nice they were too. You did say you would go second hand and the prices he gave will be new? Although you will still need to save more even for a used one.

You should read and demo as much as possible though while you save up. Let your ears decide.