Time to upgrade the screen?

Deano@Dublin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I’ve been through a few projectors over the years and currently have a Sony VPL-HW40ES but I still have my original screen. It’s 14 years old and it was a pretty cheap electric 106” glass bead screen. I’m wondering if I’d notice an improvement with a new screen? I can definitely notice some wear on it.

Just taking a look at the RS website, there are a couple of 120 inch models there-

Do you think either of these would be good for my PJ (anything specific for SXRD)? Or anything in a similar price range?

Thanks!!

A bit more expensive but a tab tension screen would be better if you can stretch the extra.

Do they really make a difference? I’ve never had an issue with the standard one just being weighted with the bar? I guess I’d have to see it to tell...

I can only speak of my own experiences but my last electric roll down was a cheap one costing £250 and it had waves and curled at the edges. Maybe more expensive ones don’t suffer this issue but when I look at the number of brands that make tab tension ones I reckon it must still be an issue.

It was the reason I switched to fixed frame but of course this isn’t always an option.

Hi. I’ve been through a few projectors over the years and currently have a Sony VPL-HW40ES but I still have my original screen. It’s 14 years old and it was a pretty cheap electric 106” glass bead screen. I’m wondering if I’d notice an improvement with a new screen? I can definitely notice some wear on it.

Just taking a look at the RS website, there are a couple of 120 inch models there-

Do you think either of these would be good for my PJ (anything specific for SXRD)? Or anything in a similar price range?

Thanks!!
Hi Deano,

From a few miles up the road in North of Ireland.... did you ever get a new screen sorted as I am thinking along the same lines myself?

ColinB NI

Hi Deano,

From a few miles up the road in North of Ireland.... did you ever get a new screen sorted as I am thinking along the same lines myself?

ColinB NI
Both of you two should check out DiverseScreens from @Rickyj at Kalibrate, I bought one and what is screen, this is a solidly build product.

I’m in the North too.

Both of you two should check out DiverseScreens from @Rickyj at Kalibrate, I bought one and what is screen, this is a solidly build product.

I’m in the North too.
Hi Luminated67,

Nice to see NI people online.... and thanks for such a quick reply!... I will look into this as I have to admit to being out 'of the loop' for a long while with regard to Home Cinema etc.... Have you a link to the screen you bought or a review etc? (again sorry if it's obvious but not been on this forum for a loooong time!

Hi Luminated67,

Nice to see NI people online.... and thanks for such a quick reply!... I will look into this as I have to admit to being out 'of the loop' for a long while with regard to Home Cinema etc.... Have you a link to the screen you bought or a review etc? (again sorry if it's obvious but not been on this forum for a loooong time!
Not sure if there are any reviews but Ricky is a member on here and it’s his own brand. Quality is truly beyond its price point.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom