• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Time to upgrade the screen?

[email protected]

Hi. I’ve been through a few projectors over the years and currently have a Sony VPL-HW40ES but I still have my original screen. It’s 14 years old and it was a pretty cheap electric 106” glass bead screen. I’m wondering if I’d notice an improvement with a new screen? I can definitely notice some wear on it.

Just taking a look at the RS website, there are a couple of 120 inch models there-

Do you think either of these would be good for my PJ (anything specific for SXRD)? Or anything in a similar price range?

Thanks!!

Luminated67

Distinguished Member

[email protected]

A bit more expensive but a tab tension screen would be better if you can stretch the extra.

Do they really make a difference? I’ve never had an issue with the standard one just being weighted with the bar? I guess I’d have to see it to tell...

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I can only speak of my own experiences but my last electric roll down was a cheap one costing £250 and it had waves and curled at the edges. Maybe more expensive ones don’t suffer this issue but when I look at the number of brands that make tab tension ones I reckon it must still be an issue.

It was the reason I switched to fixed frame but of course this isn’t always an option.

ColinB_NI

Hi. I’ve been through a few projectors over the years and currently have a Sony VPL-HW40ES but I still have my original screen. It’s 14 years old and it was a pretty cheap electric 106” glass bead screen. I’m wondering if I’d notice an improvement with a new screen? I can definitely notice some wear on it.

Just taking a look at the RS website, there are a couple of 120 inch models there-

Do you think either of these would be good for my PJ (anything specific for SXRD)? Or anything in a similar price range?

Thanks!!
Hi Deano,

From a few miles up the road in North of Ireland.... did you ever get a new screen sorted as I am thinking along the same lines myself?

ColinB NI

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Hi Deano,

From a few miles up the road in North of Ireland.... did you ever get a new screen sorted as I am thinking along the same lines myself?

ColinB NI
Both of you two should check out DiverseScreens from @Rickyj at Kalibrate, I bought one and what is screen, this is a solidly build product.

I’m in the North too.

ColinB_NI

Both of you two should check out DiverseScreens from @Rickyj at Kalibrate, I bought one and what is screen, this is a solidly build product.

I’m in the North too.
Hi Luminated67,

Nice to see NI people online.... and thanks for such a quick reply!... I will look into this as I have to admit to being out 'of the loop' for a long while with regard to Home Cinema etc.... Have you a link to the screen you bought or a review etc? (again sorry if it's obvious but not been on this forum for a loooong time!

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Hi Luminated67,

Nice to see NI people online.... and thanks for such a quick reply!... I will look into this as I have to admit to being out 'of the loop' for a long while with regard to Home Cinema etc.... Have you a link to the screen you bought or a review etc? (again sorry if it's obvious but not been on this forum for a loooong time!
Not sure if there are any reviews but Ricky is a member on here and it’s his own brand. Quality is truly beyond its price point.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom