Time to upgrade Pio LXPD5090?

Evil_Stewie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Can I you're opinion on whether I should upgrade my plasma, its the Pioneer PDPLX5090 Kuro, but with all these new LED 3D TVs out, I'm beginning to think if I should sell up and purchase a new Panasonic 3D HD or whatever which are about £2400?? I dont want to wait too long as I may not get much back for mine?? Let me know you're thoughts, thanks.

Regards,
Evil Stew:confused:

Keep your Pioneer mate, unless of course you really want 3D?

You definitely wont be bettering your current picture quality if you "upgrade":)

The only way you can upgrade the Pioneer is to get it ISF calibrated. Don't get caught with anything else. They may be bettered one day but not yet.

I went from Panasonic VT20 to LX5090, the LX5090 was and upgrade is still only bettered by other higher end Pioneer models.

Last edited:
Thats interesting Ragnarok, are you able to give a bit more detail regarding the differences and justify why the PDP bettered the VT20, that would be helpful, thanks.

I agree about calibration, made mine a lot brighter, whilst still looking 'right'. Cheers ********.

Bonkers!:D

You'll kick yourself to death.

Like swapping a Ferarri for a wheel barrow.

Seriously though, please follow the advise of others..

Funniest post ive read for ages, cheers made me laugh out loud. :laugh:

I went from Panasonic VT20 to LX5090, the LX5090 was and upgrade is still only bettered by other higher end Pioneer models.

Aside from the flicker. on the Pioneer the blacks are still only bettered by pioneers krp, the colours are more natural and accurate, you don't have skewed gamma extending the shadow detail falsely, there are far more options available to calibrators to allow a more accurate calibration, the plasma traits like trails etc that would be problems on high motion are handled an awful lot better on the pioneer.

Last but not least the one major less desirable feature of the the pioneer the dithering appears to fix/ease far more problems than the one it creates, it helps with banding helps the panel to produce more colours, helps prevent image retention very effectively.

At the moment 3D is the only reason to upgrade but for me 3D is not something I'd be watching for more than an hour or 2 at a time and it's far more important to me to have a good 2d picture I can watch and enjoy.

Aside from the flicker. on the Pioneer the blacks are still only bettered by pioneers krp, the colours are more natural and accurate, you don't have skewed gamma extending the shadow detail falsely, there are far more options available to calibrators to allow a more accurate calibration, the plasma traits like trails etc that would be problems on high motion are handled an awful lot better on the pioneer.

Last but not least the one major less desirable feature of the the pioneer the dithering appears to fix/ease far more problems than the one it creates, it helps with banding helps the panel to produce more colours, helps prevent image retention very effectively.

At the moment 3D is the only reason to upgrade but for me 3D is not something I'd be watching for more than an hour or 2 at a time and it's far more important to me to have a good 2d picture I can watch and enjoy.

A well worded, and balanced post which I agree with every word of.

It should help the OP make up his mind about what he may be giving up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom