Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Time to upgrade? or not?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stretcher, Apr 8, 2003.

1. stretcher

stretcher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope some advice can be offered

I have a Pioneer DV-717, now about 4 years old. Tv is a Loewe 32inch Aconda.

The DVD player works fine, and has been previously chipped with the Techtronics multimod, which I must say has worked perfectly. Ther'es even a simple work around with RCE discs which were introduced after the mod was done..

The question is, has player technology improved so significantly that it will make a similar difference to picture and sound quality?

And if it is worthwhile, what sort of price range should I be looking at for similar quality. The trusty Pioner was £540 when I bought it, plus another £80 for the multimod. Scary how prices have tumbled in recent years!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I might be worth a look if your Leowe can have the Prog scan upgrade, or you dont have compent on the 717 (sorry i dontknow that player) If you fancied maybe SACD or DVD-A then the Pio 656 is a bargain or if you could have PS upgrade i would wait and let prices fall. Theres always DVD recording though but anthing less than a top player is likely to be a backward step in terms of PQ. Maybe get a home demo of an Arcam DV88+ and a Phillips DVDR1000mk11 and see if you can see/hear the difference a £1000 DVd deck makes.

3. stretcher

stretcher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks horny!!

Actually, I'm glad you raised the subject of SACD or DVD A - this had crossed my mind and might be something to look into. As far as progressive scan goes, I don't know if the Loewe is upgradeable and what the benefits might be on a 32 set .

The other thing is, do you reckon we're talking about spending as much as a grand? Yes I could stretch to it, but I was kind of expecting to spend somewhat less!

:D

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    The Prog scan machines are but a 656 with component outs and DVD-A SACD wityh MR mod should be £400ish big difference. Might be worth you looking at recoerder if you watch alot of TV want high PQ recordings Panny E50 and E30 or Philips 880/890 dont think any will do SACD/ DVD-A though!
    Have a look at www.avland.co.uk they bhave most machines and good spec sheets

5. stretcher

stretcher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm

hadn't put a recorder on the list, but I'll certainly examine your suggestions

just found another thread discussing Loewe and prog scan - looks like (to me) there is an upgrade possible, but results in some geometry and picture scaling switching anomalies - maybe its time to think of a projector too for movies (when the kidfs have finally buggered off to bed and the missus has fallen asleep on the settee again!!)

I don't know - maybe have a closer look at DVD-A and SACD ?

:rolleyes: