1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to upgrade? or not?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stretcher, Apr 8, 2003.

1. stretcher

stretcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hope some advice can be offered

I have a Pioneer DV-717, now about 4 years old. Tv is a Loewe 32inch Aconda.

The DVD player works fine, and has been previously chipped with the Techtronics multimod, which I must say has worked perfectly. Ther'es even a simple work around with RCE discs which were introduced after the mod was done..

The question is, has player technology improved so significantly that it will make a similar difference to picture and sound quality?

And if it is worthwhile, what sort of price range should I be looking at for similar quality. The trusty Pioner was £540 when I bought it, plus another £80 for the multimod. Scary how prices have tumbled in recent years!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I might be worth a look if your Leowe can have the Prog scan upgrade, or you dont have compent on the 717 (sorry i dontknow that player) If you fancied maybe SACD or DVD-A then the Pio 656 is a bargain or if you could have PS upgrade i would wait and let prices fall. Theres always DVD recording though but anthing less than a top player is likely to be a backward step in terms of PQ. Maybe get a home demo of an Arcam DV88+ and a Phillips DVDR1000mk11 and see if you can see/hear the difference a £1000 DVd deck makes.

3. stretcher

stretcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks horny!!

Actually, I'm glad you raised the subject of SACD or DVD A - this had crossed my mind and might be something to look into. As far as progressive scan goes, I don't know if the Loewe is upgradeable and what the benefits might be on a 32 set .

The other thing is, do you reckon we're talking about spending as much as a grand? Yes I could stretch to it, but I was kind of expecting to spend somewhat less!

:D

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The Prog scan machines are but a 656 with component outs and DVD-A SACD wityh MR mod should be £400ish big difference. Might be worth you looking at recoerder if you watch alot of TV want high PQ recordings Panny E50 and E30 or Philips 880/890 dont think any will do SACD/ DVD-A though!
    Have a look at www.avland.co.uk they bhave most machines and good spec sheets

5. stretcher

stretcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hmmm

hadn't put a recorder on the list, but I'll certainly examine your suggestions

just found another thread discussing Loewe and prog scan - looks like (to me) there is an upgrade possible, but results in some geometry and picture scaling switching anomalies - maybe its time to think of a projector too for movies (when the kidfs have finally buggered off to bed and the missus has fallen asleep on the settee again!!)

I don't know - maybe have a closer look at DVD-A and SACD ?

:rolleyes: