Time to upgrade Onkyo tx-sr605?

Steve00

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have the Onkyo tx-sr605 amp with the Jamo 102 HCS5 speaker package (Sub has been replaced with the BK XLS200 MK2). I am about to purchase the Samsung QN95A 4k screen. I know this amp will not passthrough 4k, so will connect all sources to TV, then optical out to AMP for audio.

Is it worth upgrading the amp or speakers, if so at what price point do you think I would hear improvements? The speakers are already wired into wall so not interested in going above 5.1 at moment. Used mainly for streaming movies (Netflix/prime) and PS4.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I would say speakers for sure, at least front three as those Jamos are very tiny fist sized sats and if you would have space for bookshelf speakers & normal size centre let´s say example Monitor Audio Bronze 50 and Bronze C150 then you would get quite dramatic change. Move the XLS200 to front corner (furthest from any opening) to get the best performance out from it. However the speaker choice really depends of your room / order / space you have available there what is possible. Post photos or room plan with tv/couch and dimensions so we can get better idea of your situation.

The issue if you use optical cable is you don´t get Dolby Digital Plus for streaming and not either the HD audio Dolby TrueHD / DTS HD MA which all require hdmi connection. You will be stuck with lower quality audio.

If you were to upgrade av-receiver then something like Denon X2700H / Yamaha RX-V6A would be similar level what you have now so roughly 600£ class. It`s darn expensive and you could also look some used few year older unit at classifieds.

I would say speakers for sure, at least front three as those Jamos are very tiny fist sized sats and if you would have space for bookshelf speakers & normal size centre let´s say example Monitor Audio Bronze 50 and Bronze C150 then you would get quite dramatic change. Move the XLS200 to front corner (furthest from any opening) to get the best performance out from it. However the speaker choice really depends of your room / order / space you have available there what is possible. Post photos or room plan with tv/couch and dimensions so we can get better idea of your situation.

The issue if you use optical cable is you don´t get Dolby Digital Plus for streaming and not either the HD audio Dolby TrueHD / DTS HD MA which all require hdmi connection. You will be stuck with lower quality audio.

If you were to upgrade av-receiver then something like Denon X2700H / Yamaha RX-V6A would be similar level what you have now so roughly 600£ class. It`s darn expensive and you could also look some used few year older unit at classifieds.
@Gasp3621 thank you first of all for replying with some sound advice (no pun intended). I did not realise DD+ would not work over optical. First obvious question, on the equipment I currently have will I even notice a difference between standard DD and +/or even the HD ones you mention?

Ideally not looking to spend too much on audio, but upgrading the three speakers as a starting point does make sense. Ideally I would like to keep satellite speakers as they are currently placed at the top corners of the room. But understand bookshelf or even floor standers would give better sound. The monster audios you recommend have excellent reviews so looking more into those. Seems like I'll need around £480 for the 3 speakers, which is reasonable.

I attach a diagram of my room (not to scale). Worth noting that we may move TV to above the fireplace.

Is it worth considering a sounbar (I am already in the Sonos ecosystem) or are they still a step back compared to tech we are discussing.

Thank you.

20210825_222322~2.jpg

I wouldn´t really hesitate regarding some good hifi speakers with 5x4 room and you sit quite far back which is not ideal either now. The change will be dramatic also for music listening with good speakers. You might not do that now much, but it can change cause everything just sounds so much better. There is lot of options regarding speakers, but you will now have good idea of budget. Your front main speakers shouldn`t go to corners (subwoofer is ok in corner), bringing them bit closer and leaving 10-20cm space behind with the new ones would be ideal. If you buy bookshelf speakers you would then buy speaker stands (60£/pair) aswell so you get them on correct height and can move them freely, unless of course if wall mounting but they are lot bigger so will look "bulky" and i feel many does then compromise to mount them so that they look good (too narrow and low in line with tv etc), not where they should go to sound best. Check below link:

If you swap the room order for tv on top of fireplace is there still place for center channel under it and which height you would be able to have it? The optimal would be naturally at seated ear height, same as front mains (tweeters), the main thing would be that it ain´t too low shooting your knees. This channel covers 60-70% of movies soundtrack so optimize this speaker placement and everything will sound much better! Bronze C150 is sealed by design so can go close to wall / wall mounted just leave some space for wires/terminals.

Passive soundbar is option as you bought quality sub already, but seriously i don´t see any point for that if you can purchase separate cinema system. You can go listen speakers to local Richer Sounds, Audio-T, SSAV etc. which ever hifi shops you have near by. Demoing doesn´t cost anything and you aren´t required to buy anything either so check store near you, make a list of main speakers that intrests you (2-4 models) and then call to that shop (RicherSounds has likely best availability of different speakers) book demo time with the models you want to hear. They usually ask you which receiver to partner with, Denon X2700H/Yamaha RX-V6A would be ideal probably using either one already there.

You will hear the difference from streamed movie (dd+) vs. bluray with lossless audio with good system. For receiver upgrade this is sadly the worst time to buy anything as the prices are sky high, availability is poor. You can get 2019 Denon X1600H for 439£ which is not cheap either. And it doesn´t have new 2.1 connection so perhaps you will wait until christmas / early next year to see if better deals will be available.

Really appreciate the detailed advice. Yes I read the point about hdmi 2.1 (elsewhere here) so will hold off buying a new amp for now (will be in same boat if 8k ever takes off also!) but as you say can go a demo new amps for free to get an idea of quality. Interesting point about the center speaker being the most used (if I read that right) so I may invest in that as first step.

Thanks again, lots of information for me to work with.

Really appreciate the detailed advice. Yes I read the point about hdmi 2.1 (elsewhere here) so will hold off buying a new amp for now (will be in same boat if 8k ever takes off also!) but as you say can go a demo new amps for free to get an idea of quality. Interesting point about the center speaker being the most used (if I read that right) so I may invest in that as first step.

Thanks again, lots of information for me to work with.
It will take very long time for the 8K to come the new norm. The most benefits are for gamers now so if you opt for the new PS5 / Xbox gaming consoles. However i usually tend to think people would keep their gear long time so buying something with old tech isn´t ideal then. If you don´t have issue swapping gear when needed then no issue. Concentrate more on speakers than receivers though! There is not many to choose from with receivers and they have identical features etc.

The mismatch with new full size centre + tiny Jamo would be rather big that i wouldn´t recommend doing that. You could get discount for the speakers and there is also finance option with most dealers if you want to pay X amount right away and then take the rest with finance. So there is ways to get the gear right away.

Makes complete sense, will look at the front 3 speakers as 'one' upgrade. And i thought I could stop once I got my new 4k TV!

What is your opinion on the Monitor Audio monitor 200 floorstanders (i noticed these are the ones in the av forum recorded package form exceptional AV -(Monitor Audio Monitor Speaker Review) are they comparable to the Bronze 50? I ask as these are half the price of the bronze 200.

If I don't move the TV, floorstanders may work better, if I do, the bronze 50 will be perfect.

What is your opinion on the Monitor Audio monitor 200 floorstanders (i noticed these are the ones in the av forum recorded package form exceptional AV -(Monitor Audio Monitor Speaker Review) are they comparable to the Bronze 50? I ask as these are half the price of the bronze 200.

If I don't move the TV, floorstanders may work better, if I do, the bronze 50 will be perfect.

They are one range below the earlier gen Bronzes. I would call the shop if you are intrested cause i have heard they keep stuff on site even if sold out. There is also newer Monitor serie out with black drivers. I would still aim to leave about half a meter to side walls what ever you decide so not pushing them to corners. So little bit closer each other and pushed forward some, goes for both. As i said with Bronze 50s you need 60cm stands which adds that extra 60£. There is black/white matte and gloss available. Click on the green at right side up "view to see 3more options". This models top plate is ideal for B50. But if you prefer the floorstanders more then by all means...

They are one range below the earlier gen Bronzes. I would call the shop if you are intrested cause i have heard they keep stuff on site even if sold out. There is also newer Monitor serie out with black drivers. I would still aim to leave about half a meter to side walls what ever you decide so not pushing them to corners. So little bit closer each other and pushed forward some, goes for both. As i said with Bronze 50s you need 60cm stands which adds that extra 60£. There is black/white matte and gloss available. Click on the green at right side up "view to see 3more options". This models top plate is ideal for B50. But if you prefer the floorstanders more then by all means...
Have noted your points on speaker positions and understand this will make a difference. The Monitor Audio monitor 200 (orange colour) are currently available for £299 so trying to work out £/quality if this is better than the latest bronze 50 gen at £285. The newer black drivers 200 are £440.

Have noted your points on speaker positions and understand this will make a difference. The Monitor Audio monitor 200 (orange colour) are currently available for £299 so trying to work out £/quality if this is better than the latest bronze 50 gen at £285. The newer black drivers 200 are £440.

The new B50s are better speakers including the new Bronze C150, but you also need stands so the total cost comes at big higher. But if you like the special look (do they have black or white) and also want floorstanders then by all means go forward. Some people just don´t like the bookshelf + stand combination which is understandable. Performance wise i don´t think there is much between these two as you have XLS200 dealing the low end. The Bronze might sound bit better on certain things as there is many things changed from the earlier gen. And this Monitor range used the earlier gen Bronze tweeter. The rest of components, drivers, cabinet is cheaper to bring the cost down. My money would be always on best speakers you can afford, but the feedback has been also great from owners of Monitor range. Not suprising as there is good company behind the product. I had the older Bronze range and yeah they have always been one of the best in class for movies/music. Fun listen and won´t leave you cold. Read example the below few reviews to get more idea of MA sound:

Below is members Monitor 300 based system with BK Monolith sub he bought later on. So the 200 will be slightly smaller.

20210123_223259-jpg.1447339

The links are appreciated but recommending larger companies, popular online retailers and national chains is killing local small family businesses.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom