1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to upgrade my speakers, help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BrianC, Jan 21, 2003.

1. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I currently have:

output:
    Yamaha 630 RDS
    Mission 70 (5 bookshelf & 1 active sub)

input:
    xbox*
    sky+

Basicly I'm looking to replace the Missions with a 6.1 setup, and as I can bi-wire with the 630 I would like the front speakers to be compatible.

I have a budget of £1500 all in (I already have decent speaker wire & interconnects), but I'm not sure what to get, (room size is 400 sq), any ideas?

*currently acting as my dvd player until I get a new progressive one, when I finally get round to getting my plasma

2. Browner

Browner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BrianC

what did you have in mind? I'm sure if you narrow the question a few more members will offer opinions.

For 1500 there is a lot out there. Personally I have the mission 782s 78c and 78ds, IMO there fantastic. Stlye, slim and sound is excellent. All bi-wireable.

My brother has 5 M&K sats which also sounds superb. At a push you might get 6.

Are you looking for floorstanders , bookshelf, Eggs etc etc For a 6.1 setup need more expert advice than me i'm afriad, ie what to have as the back centre.

Good luck in your quest. :)

3. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm assuming you got the Mission Cinema 6-pack (as I started with) which has the 5 Mission 70's (not M70's though).

I suggest getting a decent sub, along with new front and centers, and using 3 of the Mission 70's for the 3 rear speakers.

I've progressed to M74's for the fronts, M7C1 for the center (looking for an M7C2 though), 70's for the rears, and a Velodyne CHT-15 for the sub.

M74's, M7C2, and a CHT-15 would cost just over £1000.

Depending on your preference, you could also add M7DS Bi-pole's for two (or more) of the rear speakers.

4. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    You've plenty of options.
    Keeping the 70s for rears and putting 78series upfront seems logical. I have an all 75series system that impresses me at least!

A couple of off the wall ideas, if you're willing to sacrifice bi-wiring...

6 Gallos and its sub, comes in around you're budget. I've recently upgraded my family room front side from 702e and an M7c1 with three Gallos the improvement has been staggering.

You don't mention what sub you use...perhaps just add another 70, and underpin them with a better model. It's hard to appreciate the difference a decent, well set up, sub can make, until you actually experience it.

spence