Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Time to upgrade my first ever system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by KestonRP, Sep 21, 2005.

1. KestonRP

KestonRP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Guys,

My current separates/speakers are in need of an upgrade as they are seven years old, and were my first entry into the world of separates. I want to replace one item at a time (preferably), but am not sure where the weakest link in the current system is, so am not sure what to replace first.

I want to end up with a balanced system (once all upgraded) perhaps with each component costing about £250-£300.

Would appreciate some suggestions for first item to replace:

Amp: Denon PMA-250 SE
    CD-Player: Technics SLPG490
    Mini-Disc: Pioneer MJ - D707 [Although won't replace this!]
    Speakers: Gale Mini-Monitor (I reckon this is the weakest link to replace
    first!)

Thanks for help.

2. nirmal

nirmal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    You can either go backwards from the speakers, as you are planning, or start at the source; the choice is yours. Try a DAC with your existing CD player. You might like the sound of it, and it could save you a tidy sum.
    I would suggest that you buy the best you can afford, even if it takes longer than ideal to complete the system. It works out cheaper in the long run, as the urge to upgrade is less. Dont overlook the secondhand market either. There are bargains to be had! Sorry to keep singing the same song again and again :( , but high prices and good magazine reviews do not always mean good quality! If you are not too bothered about appearances and brand names, research products designed for non mainstream markets. There are some absolute gems available that many people completely overlook.

Cheers,
    Nirmal :)

3. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I got my first set of floorstanders form Richer Sounds, can take your amp and source in and have a good old listen to various speakers.

Or visit a local stereo shop and go and have a listen although the prices can jump up quite a bit if you start getting carried away, I visited Audio-T the misses was expecting me back with an all sing all dancing complete hi-fi system for my budget, but came back with a pre-amp and power-amp as it sounded fab with budget gone so be aware.

Saying that have you played with cables ? I still do not understand how different bits of cabling can make such a difference.

Another option for a source - if you like the idea of stored digital music, ie all your cds stored on pc and accessed via remote, have a look at :
    http://www.slimdevices.com/index.html
    There has just been a firmware update which permits it to be pluged straight into a power amp - Nice simple system.

Have fun, if your spending a reasonable amount always see if you can try it out to see if you will like it.

Enjoy your shopping.