1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to upgrade my ageing 5.1 system....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by groove, Feb 27, 2005.

1. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi all , after spending weeks on the Plasma forums deciding on a screen ( which ive 90% settled on the Panny ) its time to moce my focus to the sd side of things.

I currently have
    Marantz SR4200 receiver/processor
    Mission 732's for the fronts
    Jamo Center 100
    Bose Model 100's at the rear
    Yamaha YST-SW150

As you can see other than the amp all getting on a bit now. It was all supplied by a local dealer after a burglary and to be honest ive never really been blown away by the sound , was originally couple to a Technics pro logic receiver but replaced that last year for the Marantz. Cant quite put my finger on it but it has never had that wow factor, and as nothing matches looks a bit pants as well.

So im ditching the lot ( i think ) and looking at replacing the Marantz with a Denon AVR2805 from unbeatable (£522.99 cheapest ive found ) to allow component switching for the plasma and hopefuly get a better sound.

So onto the speakers I am really lost here at the moment and dont know where to start. Assumng i get that amp ill have a budget of about £800 to play with for all the speakers.

One thing that i cant quite get my head round is these small speakers ala the Kef Eggs and such like. What is the sound really like from speakers this size compared to what i call a full size set for the equivalent money ?
    My brain cant comprehend that they can sound as good due to their size. They will mainly be used 80% of the time for DVD , TV and XBOX the remainder for music.

So can anybody give me some ideas where to start looking and whether i should go for something like the KEF's or a full size solution.

Cheers guys

2. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hmmmm

Maybe I should look at Canton's.....

3. missionman

missionman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As no-one else has responded, here goes (from one of the manufacturers of mini-size spkrs).

Even with full size speakers the AV processor manages bass by, usually, putting everything below 80Hz to the sub. The reason for this is to remove the lowest frequencies from the main speakers, improving their clarity in the midrange, and giving the LF to the sub which should be designed to handle it.

When you start using smaller speakers the crossover frequency has to go up as the lowest frequencies the smaller satellites can handle is restricted.

This can be done in two ways.

1. With a satellite speaker as large as the KEF 'Egg' you should raise the AV amplifier's crossover to 150Hz in the setup menu.

2. With tiny satellites such as the Mission Cubes the crossover is handled within the speakers and subwoofer themselves. All you have to do is wire the amp output to the sub and then link the satellites into the sub.

As the crossover is higher in both of these scenarios two compromises appear. Firstly the sub has to do a lot more work and should be designed to give good subjective results at the higher bass frequencies. Secondly the position of the sub is a bit more obvious as the output of higher bass frequencies makes it a little easier for the ear to locate. As most people put their sub near the front main speakers the latter isn't usually a problem.

I think most people would agree that if you put your emphasis on playing stereo from CD your main interest should be on a decent pair of floorstanding speakers for the main left and right plus matching centre, sats and sub for AV. (blatant plug - for example the Mission m3 and Elegante systems are meant for that class of enthusiast).

However for those who don't want to give up their living room space to floorstanding speakers the mini-speakers are obviously attractive. We designed the Mission M-CUBE system so it would sound good on both stereo and AV, and it is obviously aimed at the person who wants good sound but doesn't want to fill their room with five larger speakers.

The great thing about buying hi-fi is you can go and listen to it first! Get yourself to a retailer and have a listen - you might be surprised.

Mr Mission

4. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    If you've got the space for full-size speakers I'd go for those.

5. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For £800 you MIGHT be able to get a Monitor Audio radius speaker package. 7oaks in Weybridge are showing a package ex-demo at £729.
    They are about £1000 new, but I am sure you could find an ex-demo package.

They are very good irrespective of there size. When you factor in the ssize they are brilliant.