1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to upgrade - Help required please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Badgerstuta, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Badgerstuta

Badgerstuta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    First post so go easy on me. Apologies upfront I've done a search through various threads here and have just ended up confusing myself and wondered if I could get some tailored advice from some of your wise minds.

I currently have a 42" rear projection Toshiba with a Pioneer DV646-A player connected to (and heres where the system lets itself down..) an old videologic 5.1 set up via optical output. New year so time for a new audio setup methinks. I'm looking at around a £500 budget and would require an amp which needs to have 5.1, DTS (6.1 would be nice to futureproof to a certain degree !) and a seperate speaker set to do it justice. This is for the living room downstairs (approx 14 ft x 10ft). Would also like to hook up the sky plus and maybe the PS2 to this also. Any of you wise old sages have any recommendations ?
    Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance :smashin:

2. Badgerstuta

Badgerstuta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Anyone ?

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Are you averse to getting anything second-hand/ex-dem? I’m just thinking that a budget of £500 for amp & speakers may not stretch you very far. You could either go for an all-in-one package or take the separates route (i.e. separate speakers, amp, dvd player etc.)

If you’re taking the separates route then amps you may want to consider are the Denon 1705, Pioneer 714 or Sony DE597 which all retail around the £200 mark.

Speakers wise, look at the Tannoy range, Mordaunt Short Premiere and Mission M30 cinema (although this may be above your budget).

If you want an all-in-one package then how about the Panasonic XR30 system (~£340) or Sony HT-SL55 (~£300)?

But in my opinion, your best option may be to trawl the classifieds where you should get more bang for your buck. :)

4. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    have to agree with tejstar , 500 is not a realistic budget for seperate amp and speakers , as well as , i suspect , a looming dvd replacement... :)

why don't u concentrate on replacing the amp and dvd now , and in couple of months when the bank balance allow go for the speakers?

suggestions:

amp - Yamaha RXV450 or PIONEER VSXD814 retail for ~200 quid and should accomodate you're needs easily. the Denon 1705 suggested by tejstar is also a possibility but i'm not a denon fan.

dvd - my money would go on a pioneer 575 , one of the best universal players around and for less than 150 quid - an unbelievable bargain!

bare in mind that a decent 5.1 sub\sat package is ~600 quid , so when that's available we can check the options (and there are many around!)

the other way , of course , as suggested below is an "all-in-one" package. 500 quid will probably buy u a nice panasonic or pioneer set. perhaps even one of the new wireless ones.

HTH.

NC.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    If you're looking for a dvd player too, then maybe look at the Denon DHT-500 (£500). I've heard this and came away very impressed, good sound at moderate volumes and relatively beefy sub! The only problem you may find is trying to source speaker stands for the unit.

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Also look at the yamaha av70 pack unbeatable are selling,it is a nice setup and you can upgrade easily if need be in the future.They are out of stock at the moment but should be getting some in and at £280 it would be worth waiting for.
    cheers Gonzo.

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I think the Denon DHT500 would be ideal, fits in budget, and can be upgraded easily as time goes by, can be had for around the £400 mark if you haggle and shop around :).

The sattelites on the Videologic are ok, (If you have the Digitheatre DTS version that is), so the other option would be to get an amp, centre speaker and subwoofer, which should be do-able in £500.

For an overall boost in performance though, the Denon DHT500 is hard to beat.

8. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    You could get an older amp i.e. last years model for cheap £200-500 and some tannoy 5.1 subsat set £100-200 depending where you look and then your done until your next upgrade cycle :)

I recomend the marantz 7400 if you can get it for £400 (peter tyson) and the tannoys if you can get hold of some from richer sounds or something.

You might want to upgrade te speakers in the following year but the amp will be good for a long while, only thing it really lacks is automatic setup. If you get a SPL meter and do it your self the results will be better.

9. Badgerstuta

Badgerstuta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks for your replies so far everyone. Am quite happy with the dvd player at the mo but will upgrade at a later date. What are peoples opinions of the Pioneer VSXD8145S ? Seems like a well specced amp for a good price. In terms of speakers this is where I'm struggling. Is the Tannoy FX5.1 set better than what I have currently with the videologic 5.1 dolby digital (not DTS) ? and if so is it upgradeable by buying a seperate rear sat for 6.1 ? Apologies for all the questions but you really are spoilt for choice when looking at options.

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    The speakers will have nothing to do with DTS i don't think they have a standard like THX does so you needn't worry about that.
    Infact you might be better off sticking wit the ones you have and upgrading your speakers next year, by then new models of everything will have come out and the current stuff will be cheap.

But cheap what impedence and max wattage your speakers take, also i thought they pluged into the sub? Or do they have spring clips on the back of the sats?

11. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I bought the pioneer 814 but was dissapointed, (might be the way I had it set up) I exchanged it and got a Denon 2805, it was a good step for me but will take all your budget.
    But as already said if speakers are ok for now then upgrade these at a later date, Im running Marantz speakers on mine which are same as MS premier and they are good.

12. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    There are always the Mission M2s set. £270
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2053

Good place to start and then upgrade the fronts, centre and subwoofer at a later date

Or more expensive without a sub the Acoustic Energy evo 1 set. £350
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1311

The only problems are you will really need to also buy speaker stands for them. If you could push to £600 then you could get the evo setup, speaker stands and an amp (just)

13. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    you can get the mission m2s from empire direct for £199 +10 delivery.
    Cheers Gonzo.

14. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Badgerstuta - as was mentioned early on 2nd hand a serious option here - I had a look in the classifieds to see what my Denon 3801 (full DTS-ES capable receiver) was worth as I was considering an (other?) upgrade - this receiver goes for less than £200 sh & was £799 a couple of years ago :eek: - if you picked up one of these (or similar) you would have £300 left to buy some speakers - your room size is similar to my own (42" TV must give you the full cinema effect picture wise!) I have Kef "Eggs" & a Quake sub as full size speakers were frowned upon by my "significant other" - a sub & satellite package should fill your room nicely sound wise & there's plenty around for £300 ... HTH ... Paul

15. rufus

rufus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: TRY THIS BADGERSTUTA.http://www.petertyson.co.uk/marantzav4500.shtml
    I'M LOOKING AT SIMILAR BUDGET TO YOU AND A FIRST DELVE INTO SEPERATES .THOUGHT THIS LOOKED A GOOD DEAL IF YOU CAN STRETCH TO THE EXTRA DOSH. I'M NO EXPERT THOUGH, MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE HAS VEIWS ON THIS SET UP ?

16. Badgerstuta

Badgerstuta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks evryone for all your help, much appreciated. After much headscratching I've decided to go for the Denon DHT500 all in one for £400 delivered from empiredirect. Been a bit stupid and not ordered multiregion. Anyone know if there is a muliregion hack for this ?