Question Time to upgrade from a 450D, but what should I get ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by DJM1976, Jun 21, 2015.

1. DJM1976

DJM1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi all,

I got given a Canon 450D a couple of years ago and have loved using it, but now I feel it is the time to upgrade to something that is better for low light shots. My main love of photography is Zoos & wildlife, but in areas say where you are trying to get Owls or other animals in darker enclosures, the 450D struggles badly & the noise in the ISO is really noticeable at it's maximum 1600 setting, there also isn't much difference in changing the exposure bracketing.

I am also really interested in getting into band photography and have already been given permission by a few venues to take pictures of the bands but once again use of flash wouldn't be allowed and in a dark venue on test shots, the 450D shows it's limitations, even when using my 50mm prime lens at 2.8, my 18-55mm is deemed pretty useless in low light situations.

As said I have really loved using the 450D over the last couple of years & have given it some pretty good use at around 2000 shots, but now I feel in order to progress with low light shots, I really should upgrade. I am unfortunately unable to afford FF or even a new crop sensor, but have got some money saved to get used & can also trade in my 450D as well to help cover the cost. I really want to progress with this hobby, but can only keep it as a hobby due to life long illness stopping me from becoming professional.

My current lenses are

18-55mm USM
    50mm - 1.8
    10-18 STM
    70-300 IS (borrowed from a relative as he borrowed my 55-250 due to him suffering camera shake with the 70-300)
    Various filters
    Jessops Speedlite.

Can anyone here advise on what my next DSLR should be ?, I would prefer sticking to Canon due to already investing in lenses.

Many Thanks

DJM

2. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,842
    First question is your budget ?

3. DJM1976

DJM1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes sorry forgot to mention that vital information, well including trading in my 450D Body, I will have about £350 to spend, so was considering something like a used 60D or 7D which can be bought from around that mark from my local photographic shop, or if there is another model which I am missing, then I would consider that as well. Ideally I would like to get it asap as then I can get some decent band shots, which could then lead onto doing portraits for people once I get known more. I have also been asked to do a wedding in 2017, so really want to get as many people shots done as possible between now & then.

4. newbie1

newbie1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,852
    Sorry to hear you are ill, hope you are getting good treatment for that.

Regarding your question I'm wondering whether there is more you can do with your current kit before upgrading. I started out with the 350d and I know what you mean about the 18-55 kit lens that was a big disappointment for anything indoors with low light.

However you have the nifty fifty which opens up to f1.8 how do you find that performs at 1.8?

5. DJM1976

DJM1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thank you for the well wishes, I have Arnold Chiari Malformation, further brain surgery is the only treatment unfortunately & isn't currently an option due to government cutbacks, so just live life the best I can on a day by day basis :).

The nifty fifty has been a gem of a lens to use, but even at 1.8 on the 450D, the pictures are sharp but still extremely dark, even on a 1600 setting in a dark venue, it was then that I was advised to get another body that handles low light better.

6. newbie1

newbie1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,852
    On such a tight budget I think you might be disappointed - good performance in low light is pretty challenging. One more question, how does post processing improve your photos? For example can you recover with Lightroom ?

7. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,842
    I had a 40d for a while , wish I still had it :)

8. DJM1976

DJM1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I understand that I am very limited with such a low budget, my local supplier WEX has quite a large used selection within that budget like the 40D, 50D, 60D, 650D, 700D, 7D, all in various condition, so just a matter of deciding which one would be best for my needs & future possible needs :). Yes I use Lightroom for post processing but of course when adding exposure you also add noise.

My Dad has the 50D which seems quite a nice camera, he lives in another part of the UK to me tho, so don't get to see him often enough to give his 50D a decent try. :)

9. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,842
    There is a 7D on the classifieds that may interest you ;)

10. newbie1

newbie1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,852
  11. DJM1976

DJM1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Now that is a good offer, especially considering shutter count, if I am able to get cash for my 450D, then that 7D is a possibility as the ones at WEX have a higher shutter count.

Thanks for that, I have been using that site quite a bit recently but for comparing say 7D vs 60D etc, rather than comparing what I have to all the different ones.

12. newbie1

newbie1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,852
    Maybe check out the exposure value table here to get an idea of what you will need Ultimate Exposure Computer

Assuming low light indoor event is an exposure value of 0, and that a shutter speed of 1/125th is needed to avoid being blurry then the table shows that your current setup would only get you to EV of 4 with ISO 1600. Assuming you can't use flash then this indicates you need a camera with usable ISO of 25600 to get satisfactory pictures in these conditions. If the light better or the shutter speed can be slower then the requirement is not so much.

13. DJM1976

DJM1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Wow thank you very much for that information, it is really useful :). To give you an idea of the test shots I done in a venue a few weeks ago, here is one of the shots taken with my 450D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/17902104348/in/album-72157651106590354/

Unfortunately flashes are not normally allowed in gig photography, but a little noise can make the pictures of a band look better.

14. newbie1

newbie1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,852
  15. DJM1976

DJM1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  16. newbie1

newbie1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,852
    Most of the shots seem to be at f2.8 and 1/320th which is not using your full aperture and probably quicker shutter speed than necessary. I would experiment more in Manual mode at f1.8 with slower shutter speeds before deciding how to spend your cash as you have kit that can produce the example pictures in the link above :)

17. DJM1976

DJM1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I will give that a go :), another thing that was bothering me was that when I took my 450D around to a friends place who is a professional Nikon user, we both set up our cameras with the same lenses and settings, he then claimed that my 450D lost focus quicker in low light than his crop sensor Nikon, upon seeing the results and then me using his Nikon, it seems that he was correct in what he was saying. But by all means I will give the manual shoot a go at 1.8 :)