1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to take the plunge?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Synchronicity, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Ok,Ive been lurking here for over 6 months reading your reviews and suggestions trying to figure out which pj Im gonna go for.I was waiting till I had bought a new house but Ive had a feckin nightmare finding a new place,and I cant wait any longer:suicide:

Basically,instead of waiting till I got my new place and having a designated cinema room Im gonna try and incorporate into my crappy little flat:rolleyes:

The room is basically 5m by3.5m,and I am gonna try and have pj,tv,pc,hi fi,etc at one end of the room and the screen(a diy job I plan to construct)at the other end.I can easily flip the seating around depending on what kind of entertainment I want to partake in.I know this isnt ideal,but I cant wait any longer.

Is this sort of set up feasible,or am I being too optimistic?I am a bit concerned about the throw of the pj and what sort of picture Im gonna be getting.Oh,and I was planning on going for the z2 as soon as its available.Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.

2. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  3. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    hmmm,yeah,I looked at that site earlier today,and if I am working it out correctly,Im gonna need 1 big ass screen,which is gonna pretty much fill the width of the room:clap: ,Ive got no problem with that,but is the picture quality going to deteriorate when the picture is projected so large?

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi and welcome to the forums......

10.5 ft wide screen ??? Wouldn't recommend it, even with the 1280x720 resolution of the Z2......................... Why does it have to be that size, just move the projector nearer the screen - most people's problems come form not being able to move the projector far enough away from the screen......

Being your first projector, the "Wow" factor would probably get you over the first weeks/days with a 10ft+ screen - but I reckon you'd begin to see flaws in the image quickly enough (not necessarily from the PJ - but from the quality of dvds - we won't even begin to talk about TV stuff.......................). An 8ft wide image is a practical max, imo, if you're sitting 12+ ft away from an image that size from a 1280x720 pj, I reckon you'd be happy enough.

Make sure to see before you buy.......................

Sean G.

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    agree with theritz.

Also, don't forget that if the screen is too big, it'll actually be uncomfortable to watch for prolonged periods.

viewing distance = 1.5x screen width is a good basic guide which works well. You don't need a big screen to get the cinema experience - you just need the viewing angle to be right.

6. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    True enough, it's all relative I guess. Something far away looks smaller then when you're stood right next to it. :)

7. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Thanks folks,thats pretty much what I was expecting,I just needed it confirmed by some1 who knows what they are talking about;)

The only reason it was going to be that distance from pj to screen was the pj could have sat nicely on top of my pc cabinet thingy.I suppose it wont be a problem to have a small table handy which I can utilise when I need to set up the pj:smoke:

Unfortunately Im gonna have to do without the new sound gear for now,I dont think my present neighbours would be to pleased with the sub rattling through the floor,theyd end up like that bird off eastenders:suicide:

Is it worth scouting round for any local suppliers or is it ok to order over phone/internet?Going on what has been posted here,it seems it would be handy to be able to return the pj to base in person"when"it goes wrong.
    Cheers
    J

8. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would depend entirley who your local supplier is :)

9. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    hmmm,indeed:blush: does anyone know any good suppliers in South Wales?Im not lazy honest,just value your advice:smashin: