Time to retire the pioneer 737?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fatrich, Nov 5, 2003.

1. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi
    Can anyone one please advise me i have a pioneer 737 at the moment which i think is about 2 possibilly 3 years old now and just recently the picture has started to freeze up and its bugging me, its not all the time but it is becoming more frequent.

So i think it is time to maybe get a new player and this is where you guys in the know come in what to get next?. I have a philips 36 inc crt telly which has RGB and s-video but sadly no component input:( so i need a darn good interlaced player which doesnt cost the earth, i was considering the Toshiba SD900 which i know is about the same age roughly as the pioneer but picture quality is supposed to be a lot better or i have heard good things about the pioneer 565 which is dirt cheap or even the pioneer 656, any one care to comment or recomend any other players?

Thankyou in advance

regards

richard

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Richard,

In my opinion you're really going to have to go some to significantly better you 737, which - IMHO - remains one of the best players around.

The Toshiba SD900E you recommend sounds like something of a sideways step, so I wouldn't recommend it really.

Perhaps another Pioneer? The DV757Ai is going for descent prices these days, http://www.hiwayhifi.co.uk (I think that's the URL?) are selling it for £549. This would be a pretty significant step up.

3. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Dimmy
    thankyou for the reply, bearing in mind the 737 is potentially knackered i am of course looking to improve on the picture quality (who insn't) but i am not after something like the 757, this player is only an occasionall player (my main gear is in the cinema room) i just need to know if the pioneer 656 or the 565 are any better than my knackered 737 with straight interlaced

cheers

richard

4. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    fat rich

The 737 is definitely a great player. I still have in the bedroom.
    However, when I upgraded it earlier this year I looked very hard on what could really improve it. I got the 757 and it is a fantastic machine. The 656 will also be very good if you are not after other features other than picture improvement under the same settings.
    Only the Denon and Philips were coming close to the 757/656. The Toshiba was defilinitely well below the old 737...

5. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Costas
    thankyou very much for your comments, i think i will sent the 737 to the bedroom give the pacific in the bedroom at the moment to the kids and get a 656 or a 565 for the lounge

cheers

guys

regards

richard