Time to Replace My Sony DVPS-735?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gbdavisd, Jul 27, 2004.

1. gbdavisd

gbdavisd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Guys, as the wisest in the land at all things AV i need some advice.

Apologies if this has been answered elswhere, but i am struggling to get a definitive answer.

I have a Panny TH42PWD6 with scart and dual slot component board.

As a source I have a Sony DVPS-735 Multiregion DVD Player - Techtronics modded.

My question is, now i have moved to a nice detailed display, will i benefit by moving to a progressive output dvd player at a cheaper price point? or will i not see any benefit over the Sony?

Would look to spend no more than £200 - any player suggestions? Pioneer 575?

Cheers
    Damo :)

2. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Not too sure how much improvement you'd see, if I remember right doesn't the Panny do the progressive scanning itself? I could be wrong but if the panny does progressive scanning itself then you may not notice much difference as the sony is still quite a good player.

3. gbdavisd

gbdavisd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i believe the panel is progressive, but thought that by sending it a progressive signal, less processing would be performed and a more solid picture would be achieved. Is this right?

Reading a What hifi review it seems that there is a sub £150 player that has DVI-D connectivity! is this the way to go chaps ? Think it is a Samsung, but don't have a review to refer to....

Added: found a useful link to HI DEF DVD Players, DVI,HDMI and upscaling etc.. apologies if already posted elsewhere!

http://www.digiupdate.com/251_HD_DVD_Players.html