• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Time to replace my Panasonic TH-42PE50B

stevec46

Hi,

I am looking to replace my Panasonic TH-42PE50B, there's nothing wrong with it, but I want to go full HD.

Like a lot of people don't know the difference between LCD-PLASMA-LED, when I bought my plasma @ 6 years ago now I guess Plasma was the way to go, is that still true?

I bought my Panasonic TH-42PE50B from John Lewis, got a good price match from them, we haven't needed to use the 5 yr Warranty, but I believe that JL are good, so would be inclined to go back to them.

I was looking at the Panasonic Viera TX-P42S30B (£499 on JL's site), I haven't looked at any reviews as yet, it's a bit of a mine field, I'm hoping someone else can point me in the right direction.

Also, what is my Panasonic Viera TX-P42S30B worth; it will probably be sold complete with the Stand that has shelves on it for other devices (as opposed to table top stand)

Thanks in advance.

Steve

vickster

Distinguished Member
If you can find the extra £50, I would go for the superior 42ST30 from JL - has 3D, better filter :)

Buy Panasonic Viera TX-P42ST30 Plasma HD 1080p 3D TV, 42 Inch with Built-in Freeview HD online at JohnLewis.com Note this is a national price match price looking at the figure, so may not last forever

Reviews

Panasonic ST30 (TX-P46ST30B) 46 Inch 3D Plasma TV Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

Panasonic S30B (TX-P42S30B) Full HD Plasma TV Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

I wouldn't expect your current TV to be worth much given how much the prices of large screen has fallen in the last 6 years. Give it to your granny for Christmas :)

stevec46

Thanks for that :D

I did look at the 3D, but I don't think I would watch anything in 3D, I wear glasses, I did try some 3D Glasses over the top of mine, but it just didn't feel right.

Thanks for the link to the review, I will print it off and have a good read.

Steve

vickster

Distinguished Member
There is the 42G30 too at around £580...

JonathanAV

[QUOTE

Like a lot of people don't know the difference between LCD-PLASMA-LED, when I bought my plasma @ 6 years ago now I guess Plasma was the way to go, is that still true?

Thanks in advance.

Steve[/QUOTE]

I would stick with Plasma cant go wrong :smashin: Jonny

stevec46

There is the 42G30 too at around £580...

Is there much difference? I think that one is THX, not sure what that is, sound? They do say that the sound on the Panasonic TH-42PE50B is OK, but could do better, not sure I would notice the difference.

Be interesting to see if there are any price drops \ deals, I have seen the PANASONIC TX-P42U30B at less than £400, but that isn't a 'Smart' tv, and I quite like the look of that.
I could do with comparing all 3, to see what the differences are.

Steve

vickster

Distinguished Member
Go to your local independent Panasonic dealer :) Unfortunately, neither JL nor RS have both I think. Sevenoaks Sound & Vision do Panasonic and have demo rooms (not sure they'll have the bottom end U model, not many retailers do it seems)

Where to buy - VIERA 5 Year Warranty Dealer Locator - Panasonic UK & Ireland

The S30 and the G30 aren't 3D, unlike the ST30 (and more costly GT30). The U30 has no filter, fewer inputs, no SMART, no USB, not neoPDP (nor the S30)

Here is a side by side of the 4

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...2ST30B&p=TX-P42G30B&p=TX-P42S30B&p=TX-P42U30B

They all have the same speakers, but some have more Dolby processing stuff. The G30 can record to USB

Last edited:

stevec46

Thanks for that :smashin:

We went into Curry's yesterday to take a look, the TX-P42S30B is pretty good, but then we saw the TX-P42ST30B, OK, it's 3D and we didn't want that, but, you can turn it off and the glasses over our normal glasses are fine (but you do have to ask yourself, how much 3D is there at the moment and how much does it cost, we would need to get a new player for a start, dought if there is much transmitted, they showed us another Very expensive one that had 'Infinite Black', now the TX-P42ST30 does have infinite black, but he didn't show us on that one, but on the one he showed us (cost @ £1000) was amazing.

I did find a Panasonic Dealer near where we live, so I might see what they have in stock and take a look, although I do intend to buy from JL

Steve

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that :smashin:

We went into Curry's yesterday to take a look, the TX-P42S30B is pretty good, but then we saw the TX-P42ST30B, OK, it's 3D and we didn't want that, but, you can turn it off and the glasses over our normal glasses are fine (but you do have to ask yourself, how much 3D is there at the moment and how much does it cost, we would need to get a new player for a start, dought if there is much transmitted, they showed us another Very expensive one that had 'Infinite Black', now the TX-P42ST30 does have infinite black, but he didn't show us on that one, but on the one he showed us (cost @ £1000) was amazing.

I did find a Panasonic Dealer near where we live, so I might see what they have in stock and take a look, although I do intend to buy from JL

Steve

He probably showed you the GT30, black level wise theres not a huge differance especially in a dark room. I think the U30 uses last years screens so Id not bother, G30 or ST30 are the ones to go for. If you do want to go for it though, Sound and vision have the GT30 with bluray player, glasses and Panasonic 5year for 949, the player is worth around 100, think you still get free films too. very good deal for an exceptional set.

To see the basics betwean LCD and plasma, take a look at the top of the plasma section.

stevec46

We had bought a DMP-BD75 from Amazon, were sending that back and probably going for the DMP-110EB (@ an extra £15, but 3D), that along with the ST, should be very nice.

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom