Time to replace my AVR390. Anthem debate...

DeadEye

Hi All

Looking at a new receiver and i think I'm finally going to move away from Arcam.

I've designed and built my own front floorstanding speakers which have very big balls - they are not hard to drive, 91dB sensitivity, they are built to handle a lot of power with bean-can sized capacitors and even bigger inductors. They have a very flat impedence curve just above 4ohms.

I think I'm favouring the Anthem 1140 or 740 with the 3-channel power amplifier. I'm running 5.1.4 so only need 9 channels (another Arcam annoyance as they only have 7 amps).

I understand all the channels on the Anthem can be re-assigned. The debate in my head is do I go for the 1140 bi-amping the front l/r or the 740 with the 3-channel power amp. My head says a one-box solution should be better as there are less connections but... the pwoer amp will have it''s own dedicated power supply... Not sure I'll ever have 2 subs but I may built my own at some point.

Interested in your opinons on the above or if there are any other high-end receivers with big power I should consider.

I was considering the Lexicon and/or JBL but they all seem to basically be AVR850s inside so i assume the same software. I downloaded the Lexicon iPhone app and it's the same app as the Arcam...

Cheers.

DeadEye

Oh also best place for a deal on Anthem!?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I believe some member just returned either model, but there is the noisy fan issue lot of people are talking. I would want to make sure that is being handled or you can return the unit if it bothers you. Check the owners thread or 740 review comment thread, not sure where it was.

1140 has support for DTS:X Pro if you go larger system in future as it has 15.2 processing, where as 740 has 11.2 . With this hobby never say never so better to have extra future proof if you change your mind.

One thing to notice only MRX1140 supports this:

• Two Independent sub outputs on MRX 1140, allow ARC Genesis to correct multiple subs individually for frequency response and phase alignment.

DeadEye

I believe some member just returned either model, but there is the noisy fan issue lot of people are talking. I would want to make sure that is being handled or you can return the unit if it bothers you. Check the owners thread or 740 review comment thread, not sure where it was.

1140 has support for DTS:X Pro if you go larger system in future as it has 15.2 processing, where as 740 has 11.2 . With this hobby never say never so better to have extra future proof if you change your mind.

One thing to notice only MRX1140 supports this:

• Two Independent sub outputs on MRX 1140, allow ARC Genesis to correct multiple subs individually for frequency response and phase alignment.

Thanks. If it’s fan noise then that’s not a problem as everything is in a cupboard behind the living room including the pj.

I have since read the 1140 has a toroidal transformer.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom