Time to replace a Denon 3803

RobDickinson

Well it looks like I have to replace my Denon 3803. Couldnt find a decent bluray player with 6.1 analogue outs so time to move on to something else - with digital. Shocking really as it sounds great still works perfectly too.

Not sure I want something quite as upmarket but.. heres whats plugged in..

Speakers:
Monitor Audio Silver (series2) S6 floorstanders and centre . Rears are Gale 4's but are damaged so will be replaced by something else to match the MA's

Stuff:
Panasonic DMP-BDT220 bluray
Xbox 360 via component and optical.
Sat box - component / analogue 2ch
Panasonic 42" plasma 720p

Would prefer:
A few HDMI inputs,
Analogue ins to hdmi so I only can have single hdmi connection to tv.
Bi-amp ability from a 7.2 to drive the mains with two amps.
DNLA client
Good musical sound.

Was looking at the onkyo 515 or AVR-1912 - probably something 'around' $1000 NZ ( PriceSpy - Shopping Intelligence ).

The 515 looks good until you start reading about it, sounds shocking and I think I will avoid it!

dante01

Distinguished Member
If you are in New Zealand then it may be difficult to come up with suggestions in relation to your budget? I can suggest more recent comparable options to your current amp, but it would be up to you to source a retailer and make price comparisons.

Neither of the amps you mention would be comparable to you current amp and both are considerably lower grade amplifiers than your AVR3803.

You could consider last years Denon AVR3312 which would be a slight step down from your curret amp? THe Marantz SR7005 would be reasonably comparable as would a Yamaha RXA1010. All these amps are last years models and may be cheaper for you to buy in NZ than the models that have replaced them?

Last edited:

RobDickinson

Sorry here is a list of av amps in NZ and prices.

AVR3312 is $1999, RXA1010 is $2500, SR7005 is $4000.

For the use it gets these days ( mp3 streamed, streamed video, some br/dvd) I'm not sure I can justify that much?

Is the AVR3312 an outdated model now?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Sorry here is a list of av amps in NZ and prices.

AVR3312 is $1999, RXA1010 is $2500, SR7005 is $4000.

For the use it gets these days ( mp3 streamed, streamed video, some br/dvd) I'm not sure I can justify that much?

Is the AVR3312 an outdated model now?

The AVR3312 was recently replaced here in the UK by the AVR3313. The AVR3313 costs about £1100 while the older AVR1312 can be picked up for about half that.

If you can't afford the amps I suggested then you will need to consider a lower grade option. Maybe look at the Denon AVR2312, Marantz SR6006, Yamaha RXA810 or a Yamaha RXV771? Again, these are lasts years models and now replaced or about to be replaced by newer models.

RobDickinson

Hah I think they are all current models in NZ! Such a small market hardly any price competition, the year before models look even more expensive.. AV gear here is ridiculous.

I think I'm going to have to spend a lot if I want a specific box or feature else pound some pavement checking sales.

RobDickinson

Hmm looks like I've found a (local) place that will do runout 2312 for $1299 and 3312 for $1650.

Is the 3312 worth more than the 2312 considering I probably wont crank it up and use much of the advanced features it has?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hmm looks like I've found a (local) place that will do runout 2312 for $1299 and 3312 for $1650.

Is the 3312 worth more than the 2312 considering I probably wont crank it up and use much of the advanced features it has?

Either amp will be okay, but the AVR3312 is more inline with your front speakers than the lesser AVR2312.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom