Time to move on - new job

smallclanger

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've been in the same job now for almost 19 years - well its changed a bit I started as a software support dev and now am a senior developer/team leader.

But for lots of reasons I am no longer enjoying working here, the worker is getting less enjoyable all the time because we have a lot of technical debt (legacy product held back by fundamental design decisions that were good 15 years ago!). Plus lots of good people have left and there is a lot of politics and back stabbing here.

Last time I looked for a job there were no online recruitment agencies or linkedin as there was barely a web (1997) so it is a bit of a culture shock for me.

Are there any software engineers/recruitment experts out there with any tips/advice? I have had experience with recruitment over the last few years from the other side as I have hired a few devs - so I hope I should know lots of dos and donts.

I've been in the same job now for almost 19 years - well its changed a bit I started as a software support dev and now am a senior developer/team leader.

But for lots of reasons I am no longer enjoying working here, the worker is getting less enjoyable all the time because we have a lot of technical debt (legacy product held back by fundamental design decisions that were good 15 years ago!). Plus lots of good people have left and there is a lot of politics and back stabbing here.

Last time I looked for a job there were no online recruitment agencies or linkedin as there was barely a web (1997) so it is a bit of a culture shock for me.

Are there any software engineers/recruitment experts out there with any tips/advice? I have had experience with recruitment over the last few years from the other side as I have hired a few devs - so I hope I should know lots of dos and donts.

Hi,

For a quick 'gain', if you aren't already on LinkedIn spend a couple of hours getting your profile on there, or updated and adding connections en masse. Don't worry about the Premium paid for service,

It's a quick and dirty way of extending your network across your specific field and into the realms Recruitment Consultants (shudder).

I agree about LinkedIn for these types of skills and if you are happy with some of the agencies you have dealt with in recent years then talk top one or two - bearing in mind they have their own agendas of course.
See if people you got on with who have left are on LinkedIn, adding good connections helps your profile.

Forgot to add, four years ago I resigned from a similar situation where managers could never be wrong and never had to learn.
They coped with basic project stuff but if things went wrong it was automatically the fault of the person at the bottom and they screwed up a project for three years before I couldn't stomach it any more.
One day I was checking by bank account and found it was into five figures. I couldn't care less so the next day handed in my notice. The 'engineer' who had been made my manager had screwed up the project had done the same before and got some poor sod sacked.
Got three months garden out of guilt, nice summer holiday.
Next job was at a startup acquired by Nvidia - total opposite. Lots of challenges, pushed to learn and achievements recognised, best job ever.

Forgot to add, four years ago I resigned from a similar situation where managers could never be wrong and never had to learn.
They coped with basic project stuff but if things went wrong it was automatically the fault of the person at the bottom and they screwed up a project for three years before I couldn't stomach it any more.
One day I was checking by bank account and found it was into five figures. I couldn't care less so the next day handed in my notice. The 'engineer' who had been made my manager had screwed up the project had done the same before and got some poor sod sacked.
Got three months garden out of guilt, nice summer holiday.
Next job was at a startup acquired by Nvidia - total opposite. Lots of challenges, pushed to learn and achievements recognised, best job ever.
That sounds like the ideal job.

Our place is a large company but the software bit is a very small part of it and those at the top don't really understand us. We have to put up with poor network, low spec PCs, not enough resources in terms of VMWare infrastructure etc and the company squeezes us for everything they can get out of us.
Had an opportunity (no interview yet) for a defence company that has its own gym, proper flexi time and the office space looks amazing.

Unfortunately after less than three years the site closed (hence new job and moving to Poole) but it was the best job I have had, amazing people to work with and the chance to do some great work.
It was very intense so the new job isn't a bad thing and a lovely part of the country (Purbeck and New Forest a short drive away), don't need to go abroad for a holiday.

Added a lot of recruiters on linkedIn - connections up to 150 - is that a lot or do I have some way to go yet?

Plenty, look for people you have known, especially ex colleagues.
BTW, this is a good agency and may well suit your skills: https://www.evolutionjobs.co.uk/
They spend a lot of time on particular candidates rather than the KFC approach.

Plenty, look for people you have known, especially ex colleagues.
BTW, this is a good agency and may well suit your skills: https://www.evolutionjobs.co.uk/
They spend a lot of time on particular candidates rather than the KFC approach.
Thanks I have dropped them a line also. Getting a lot of first contact calls from recruiters so hopefully some will bear fruit soon, no urgent rush but if the right opportunity came up I will jump on it.

:smashin:

Added a lot of recruiters on linkedIn - connections up to 150 - is that a lot or do I have some way to go yet?
I'm on about 1300, not that this a measure of anything but having been in my market for 20 years and I generally only add people I've met or with 1 degree of separation.

And cull frequently, I actually don't like LinkedIn anymore.

I'm on about 1300, not that this a measure of anything but having been in my market for 20 years and I generally only add people I've met or with 1 degree of separation.

Add cull frequently, I actually don't like LinkedIn anymore.

Pet peeve of mine right there - recruiters who just add me for no reason, or by using a generic / clearly unsuitable job. I'm not highly elitist or anything, but I'd like to at least keep it relevant.

Pet peeve of mine right there - recruiters who just add me for no reason, or by using a generic / clearly unsuitable job. I'm not highly elitist or anything, but I'd like to at least keep it relevant.

I just decline their invitations, as it purely for their gain not mine.

I had a purge recently - all recruiters got the chop without exception :)

LinkedIn connections up to 218 - most new additions are recruiters so will have to have a cull if I find a new position.

Had a lot of phone calls with recruiters touching base, and some promising sounding opportunities, now to see what comes up in the way of interviews - challenge is fitting into some smart clothes, the dress code here has relaxed a lot in the last few years and I have put a bit of weight on :-(

Quick update:

Now up to 672 connections on linked in - mostly recruitment. Have spoken to a lot of recruiters and had some promising conversations talking about roles with promises to get phone interviews setup then you hear nothing.

Had a C# code test, just waiting to hear back if they want to interview.

Had 1 phone interview with a R&D company which will require DV clearance and they have asked me to come in for an interview so things are starting to happen.

Quick update:

Now up to 672 connections on linked in - mostly recruitment. Have spoken to a lot of recruiters and had some promising conversations talking about roles with promises to get phone interviews setup then you hear nothing.

Had a C# code test, just waiting to hear back if they want to interview.

Had 1 phone interview with a R&D company which will require DV clearance and they have asked me to come in for an interview so things are starting to happen.
Once you are settled in your new, exciting role I'd perhaps delete a lot of the RC from your network as they will be bothering you in 6 months time or whatever your probation period is, if you have one that is.

They are in the Sales game after all.

I don't envy the OP back in 2014 I left a job of 14 years and spent 4 months on the dole. I find that being out of work 2 months is OK then you start to go a little insane. The problem is I think they see you as institutionalised. Prefer doing contracting now, much prefer it to stifling permanent roles.

Had thought about contracting but not had any experience. Also with our fixed rate mortgate ending next year, a permanent job seems the only option.

Had thought about contracting but not had any experience. Also with our fixed rate mortgate ending next year, a permanent job seems the only option.

You can get contractor mortgages - Halifax do them - and some (including them IIRC) will treat your gross revenue as salary (madly). Risk-wise though you need a large enough 'war chest' to allow for any downtimes you might have to keep you afloat.

You can get contractor mortgages - Halifax do them - and some (including them IIRC) will treat your gross revenue as salary (madly). Risk-wise though you need a large enough 'war chest' to allow for any downtimes you might have to keep you afloat.
I might look at that when we have paid more off the mortgage and other loans.

I might look at that when we have paid more off the mortgage and other loans.

Do the temping/contracting as a part-time add-on, I've just started myself (after asking advice on here) I now do about 30 hours for my previous company, and do some day-2-day contracting on smaller projects, just to test the water, and im liking it more and more.

But, I've focused myself on older web/development tech, as everyone seems to always go for the new stuff, so my company heavily rely on classic ASP, ASP.net skills, VBA, VBA Macros, Excel and MySQL programming, which seem to be lacking nowadays, and I'm filling that gap.

Do the temping/contracting as a part-time add-on, I've just started myself (after asking advice on here) I now do about 30 hours for my previous company, and do some day-2-day contracting on smaller projects, just to test the water, and im liking it more and more.

But, I've focused myself on older web/development tech, as everyone seems to always go for the new stuff, so my company heavily rely on classic ASP, ASP.net skills, VBA, VBA Macros, Excel and MySQL programming, which seem to be lacking nowadays, and I'm filling that gap.

I did do a one off piece of work for someone n my own time, got some decent pocket money for that. How do you find the small projects?

I did do a one off piece of work for someone n my own time, got some decent pocket money for that. How do you find the small projects?

I decided to focus on education, schools etc doing performance reporting, automation, and data collation, and really rely on that, as I said nothing too major for now, as I'm still like you 'testing the waters'

I just started contacting them direct, set up a website, and some examples and it went from there.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom