Time to Make a Choice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by wad06, Mar 7, 2004.

1. wad06

wad06

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, I know you veteran users are sick of newbies doing this, but it's a big purchase, so I'm going to try anyway.

As some background, I've been browsing this forum as well as reading reviews on ProjectorCentral for about a month now. My situation is this: I have been looking at buying a projector for quite some time, and I think I am ready to make the plunge. I live in a fairly small house, and will be sitting about 12 feet from the screen. In addition, I don't have any real desire for a viewable screen larger than 92" diagonally, although I am open to suggestion if a larger screen is possible sitting only 12 feet away.

I have never noticed any rainbows on DLP projectors, so that is not a problem I'm real concerned with. My budget is fairly tight right now, but I am a fan of doing things the "right" way. Bear in mind though that I am not enough of a videophile to want to spend a lot of extra money for a marginally better projector.

I think I have decided on getting a 4:3 projector with a large screen and black curtains so I can view 16:9 movies on a fairly large scale. This is because I will be mostly watching TV with it (sports). All that said, for the right price, I'd be happy to get 16:9.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have demo'ed the Sony VPL-HS20 (more than I want to spend, but a good picture), and the Sim2 Domino 20 (way more than I want to spend, and not so much a better picture than the Sony that I would ever buy it).

My question for any of you is this: is there a projector in the sub $2000 (I'm in the USA) range with a picture comparable to the HS20 (DLP or LCD)? Also, is there a projector that you think beats the Sony HS20 hands down for about the same price ($2800).

This is getting too long, so I'll stop here. Any additional suggestions/concerns are welcome. Thank you very much in advance.

Wad

PS: I'm open to getting a used projector if any one suggests a good place to look.

2. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi Wad and welcome to the forum...

As I haven't seen the HS20, I'm not in a position to comment about cheaper PJs with comparable picture quality.

One thing however. Although this is a very friendly forum, open to all, it is pretty UK-oriented. You might also like to try posting at AVSForum which talks much more in dollars!

Cheers,
    Joel