Time to lose weight? I dont think so!

the whistler

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My wife who is quite slim and weighs a fairly normal 9 stone recently visited hospital to investigate a minor abdominal problem. Thankfully after an MRI scan and other tests was given the all clear.

However much to our surprise we received a letter today from the consultant confirming the satisfactory test results, but advising her to aim to lose some weight.

His recommendation ..... Try to lose 1 stone every 4 to 6 months over the next two years.

Taken to the extreme this would leave her weighing just 3 stone in two years time. She's already quite slim. I cant imagine what she would look like at 3 stones!

Maybe we will on this occasion ignore the doctors advice!

When i went for my “turning 40” NHS health check a podgy nurse told me my BMI put me in the “overweight” category.

Needless to say i ignored her opinion.

Rather than ignore the Consultants' advice the OP should seek clarification. If it was me I would encourage my wife to ask why the consultant has recommended a programme of weight loss and if they they really think it should be as drastic as the OPs' wife has been advised. My first thought was the consultant has written stones when they meant pounds.

When i went for my “turning 40” NHS health check a podgy nurse told me my BMI put me in the “overweight” category.

I don't think that was her opinion, it's the charts.
I personally disagree with BMI. It is a 200 year old formulae back when people didn't live nearly as long as they do today and had completely different diets, lifestyles, etc etc.

I am overweight and have a bodyfat percentage of about 20% (boditrax).
Yet at 80kg I can over head press 65kg, run 5k in under 30 minutes, swim half a mile in 30 minutes, jump rope for 5 minutes at a round, do pull ups in sets of 10 etc etc
I am fitter and stronger than guys at work 15 years + younger than me. Yet I am overweight....

I had exactly this experience. I’ve more or less stayed the same weight my entire adult life, I go to the gym and go running regularly, and I wear medium clothes. I just laughed when the BMI thing at my 40+ check up said I was in the ‘overweight’ category.

I also recall a couple of years ago that a friend was told his son, who was about 9 at the time and a fit skinny lad, was obese. Ridiculous.

Do they still use stones & pounds in the NHS? Would have thought they would have been told to move to Kg by now.

I personally disagree with BMI. It is a 200 year old formulae back when people didn't live nearly as long as they do today and had completely different diets, lifestyles, etc etc.

Yet at 80kg I can over head press 65kg, run 5k in under 30 minutes, swim half a mile in 30 minutes, jump rope for 5 minutes at a round, do pull ups in sets of 10 etc etc
I am fitter and stronger than guys at work 15 years + younger than me. Yet I am overweight....

Well, I'm pretty sure Dwayne Johnson has a BMI over 30. Go figure.

I'm 6.1 19.5 stone and was told I should weigh 13. 14 stone. So I'm morbidly obese.

My doctor, even though we bounce off each other for laughs, talks shit and want's me to take this test and that test and then informs me I am going to die, even though we are the same age and live the same lifestyle is just repeating the bullshit he has to tell me from someone else.

TBH Though he is a fudgeing good laugh and I don't really give a shit.

I was told that I was overweight by a consultant quite recently and it became quite plain that this guy had not troubled himself with my medical history as I had to inform him that I suffered from hypothyroidism which causes weight gain and I am on a strictly controlled wholly liquid diet as prescribed by yet another consultant/dietician.

Well, I'm pretty sure Dwayne Johnson has a BMI over 30. Go figure.
It is well known that BMI does not give correct results for anyone who is very muscly, like the Rock or rugby players. It is a more reasonable guideline for the majority of people who aren't like that.

I'm glad to say my Nurse was right two years ago, I was obese and as per other posts I've made I've dealt with it and when I saw her last month I thanked her for her giving me a kick up the backside, so some times they're right to tell you, whether you take any notice or not is then your choice.

yep, i was in my early 40s and went to a works health check (optional - and was the actual NHS that came around) - and this young patronising nurse said I needed to lose weight too... I was like, what?!?

Reminds me of when I registered at my local Doctors.

I had to go in for a health check, now I walk around 30 mile a week lift umpteen bags @20kg, renovating a house and work so many hours and I'm around 5 10 in height and weigh around 15 stone 48 inch chest . And was told by the very large overweight woman that I needed to loose 3 stone, the picture of the very young lady who was in the room was priceless. Lady was a trainee but well fit:rotfl::rotfl: the other was not do we have a puke emoji

I guess I'm the only criminal in prison who is guilty. My doctor and nurse from the surgery tell me I need to loose weight and they are correct...Just find it so boring...

Anyway, to the OP I would clarify what they actually meant instead of just ignoring the advice given.

The last time I visited the doctor the practise nurse asked me to complete a lifestyle questionnaire. One of the questions was how often do I drink more than 8 units of alcohol in one night. The options were 3+ times a week, 1+ times a week, 1+ times a month, less than once a month or never. I answered less than once a month. She then told me I was a binge drinker.

My wife who is quite slim and weighs a fairly normal 9 stone recently visited hospital to investigate a minor abdominal problem. Thankfully after an MRI scan and other tests was given the all clear.

However much to our surprise we received a letter today from the consultant confirming the satisfactory test results, but advising her to aim to lose some weight.

His recommendation ..... Try to lose 1 stone every 4 to 6 months over the next two years.

Taken to the extreme this would leave her weighing just 3 stone in two years time. She's already quite slim. I cant imagine what she would look like at 3 stones!

Maybe we will on this occasion ignore the doctors advice!

How tall is your wife?
Unless she is really short, she will be in the Healthy BMI range, or possibly just above.

Another (crude, but usually correct) way to see if weight should be lost is to measure waist circumference and height - the waist number in cms measured just above the belly-button should be less than half the height in cms of that person.

Last edited:

The BMI chart is only any good as a guide. If you're happy with your weight it's fine. But I think that from a health pov, it is the amount of exercise that is most important and that all depends on your work. There's an enormous exercise requirement difference between someone stuck in front of an office computer and a postman who's on his feet all day as well as natural differences between people.

If you want to lose weight and have a good rest doing, get this chest infection that’s doing the rounds.

6’2 and 15.5 stone before and lost over half a stone in a week of being in bed (height didn’t change). Zero appetite, no solids and no sugar.

Before I was sideswiped by this virus I was considering cutting sugar out (it takes 10 days to cleanse out but your body goes through severe withdrawals) I may as well continue!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom