Time to lift the lockdown?

D

Deleted member 849701

I think it should be lifted but London should be extended a little longer. I have to go to work as my retail shop is still open and people have to observe social distance. I think for this reason other stores and restaurants should open with social distancing. Doesn’t matter when they lift it a second wave could come in the winter anyway. We can’t forever stay in lockdown and if say we don’t get a vaccine we have to live with this like other diseases. If they don’t open it things soon jobs will be lost forever. I was supportive of the lockdown at first but it’s been a while and even America and France people are getting tired of it and protesting.

(Searches for the “disagree” button....)
Perhaps we should level up and go straight to a Strongly Disagree button.

Absolutely classic though and exactly as predicted. Wanted a lockdown and now want it to be finished. It was barely a lockdown. I’d say it’s way too early to go back to normal. And yes many jobs and businesses will be gone forever. Other opportunities will arise.

I have to go to work as my retail shop is still open and people have to observe social distance. I think for this reason other stores and restaurants should open with social distancing. Doesn’t matter when they lift it a second wave could come in the winter anyway. We can’t forever stay in lockdown and if say we don’t get a vaccine we have to live with this like other diseases. If they don’t open it things soon jobs will be lost forever. I was supportive of the lockdown at first but it’s been a while and even America and France people are getting tired of it and protesting.
Petition Nicola for lifting the lock down in rural? Scotland.
Let rUK keep it as necessary.

Sweeden has no lockdown. Scotland is very similar much lower cases so tell me why Scotland can’t choose a different path?

In a less glib answer, I think there's room to discuss how/when the lockdown should lift as clearly there are differences of opinion on this.

But there's a whole heap of detail to get through before we get there. Several questions I would need answering would be (leaving aside "when" for the moment):
  • How do we open? We can't turn everything on overnight, it has to be a phased approach. What opens first/last etc.
  • How will social distancing work (we'll assume this has to be in place). This is an enormous question, as the answer shifts dramatically for different industries.
  • How will the testing/tracing programme shift for this next stage.
  • Are there measures to help us check the success of a phased lockdown lift? What kind of numbers are we looking at?
  • What will this mean to govt economic support - and how will that ensure that companies can open again (stock issues for restaurants are a big question here).
That's just a few off the top of my head. It's why I welcome Starmer pushing for answers on this - it's a huge topic and needs discussion/feedback from all industries, sooner rather than later.

Personally, I think regional re-opening should be discouraged. There were problems in Ireland when the south/north lockdowns were out of sync. That would be duplicated in Scotland/England/Wales if one area lifted first. So that should be avoided, IMO (but still up for debate).

In a less glib answer, I think there's room to discuss how/when the lockdown should lift as clearly there are differences of opinion on this.

But there's a whole heap of detail to get through before we get there. Several questions I would need answering would be (leaving aside "when" for the moment):
  • How do we open? We can't turn everything on overnight, it has to be a phased approach. What opens first/last etc.
  • How will social distancing work (we'll assume this has to be in place). This is an enormous question, as the answer shifts dramatically for different industries.
  • How will the testing/tracing programme shift for this next stage.
  • Are there measures to help us check the success of a phased lockdown lift? What kind of numbers are we looking at?
  • What will this mean to govt economic support - and how will that ensure that companies can open again (stock issues for restaurants are a big question here).
That's just a few off the top of my head. It's why I welcome Starmer pushing for answers on this - it's a huge topic and needs discussion/feedback from all industries.
And the UK government won’t tell us. Atleast the SNP plan to I don’t usually vote for them however Sturgeon has handled this much better.

I think it should be lifted but London should be extended a little longer. I have to go to work as my retail shop is still open and people have to observe social distance. I think for this reason other stores and restaurants should open with social distancing. Doesn’t matter when they lift it a second wave could come in the winter anyway. We can’t forever stay in lockdown and if say we don’t get a vaccine we have to live with this like other diseases. If they don’t open it things soon jobs will be lost forever. I was supportive of the lockdown at first but it’s been a while and even America and France people are getting tired of it and protesting.
I think your internet connection caused you to post the thread before completing your post?

There is no mention of how customers, staff and delivery drivers maintain social distancing in a restaurant (most restaurants that I know have a single kitchen, a single main entrance, limited store rooms, limited fire escapes, single routes to and from the kitchen and the bog)

There's no mention how a restaurant and "other places" compares to your place of work and what that is

Not expressing an opinion on whether to keep going or lift the restrictions. Just super happy to see a thread about logistics, an underrated topic

If the lockdown is lifted to early or indeed even restrictions lifted before certain robust measures are put in place. Well then we may actually do more harm than good to the economy and indeed lives.

Until our goverment can ramp up C19 testing and tracing to have a certain limiting aspect or measure.

If they can get this aspect right , up and running them maybe we have a chance in a phased reduction of the lockdown .

It's easy to put up with ongoing lockdown and continue to champion it without scrutiny or question when you are being paid, either by your company or the government to stay home. I wonder how many of you would be so happy to carry on if you have had zero income for 4 weeks and facing an uncertain timescale for this to end? I actually heard someone on the radio today (clearly very comfortable) saying that she is starting to enjoy it and hopes it carries on for a good while longer so she can keep feeing safe. Some people really have no idea.

I am fortunate to still be working and getting paid but I know a lot of people who are getting desperate and just a few more weeks of this will cause them serious problems. Almost all of them have told me they would rather take their chances on the very unlikely probability that they will catch it (and most likely fully recover) and prefer to go back to work

Last edited:
It's easy to put up with ongoing lockdown and continue to champion it without scrutiny or question when you are being paid, either by your company or the government to stay home. I wonder how many of you would be so happy to carry on if you have had zero income for 4 weeks and facing an uncertain timescale for this to end? I actually heard someone on the radio today (clearly very comfortable) saying that she is starting to enjoy it and hopes it carries on for a good while longer so she can keep feeing safe. Some people really have no idea.

I am fortunate to still be getting paid but I know a lot of people who are getting desperate and just a few more weeks of this will cause them serious problems. Almost all of them have told me theybwould rather take their chances on the very unlikely probability that they will catch it (and most likely fully recover) and prefer to go back to work

Try having to work mate all through this lockdown , try to social distance when social distance is unavalable working in a team when it can't be done , try works procedures on the fly without adequate PPE to get around it . Try feeling the stress involved knowing that you will proberly bring this home to your family through work interactions . Try writing out risk assements during a pandemic to keep your shift safe . It's impossible with all the variables involved . I would not mind a bit time away TBH as in 36+ years,of working this is like nothing I've ever seen.

Try having to work mate all through this lockdown , try to social distance when social distance is unavalable working in a team when it can't be done , try works procedures on the fly without adequate PPE to get around it . Try feeling the stress involved knowing that you will proberly bring this home to your family through work interactions . Try writing out risk assements during a pandemic to keep your shift safe . It's impossible with all the variables involved . I would not mind a bit time away TBH as in 36+ years,of working this is like nothing I've ever seen.

Sounds like you could do with a well deserved break! I have been fortunate to be able to keep working. I guess the point is that for some people it's quickly becoming a choice between stay home and move into poverty, possibly lose their house, watch there family go without or take the risk that you might catch the virus (unlikely) and get seriously ill (even more unlikely). Guess you have to be in that position to go though that thought process

Even if the lockdown is eased, I will be staying home as much as I can, because my partner has one of those "underlying health problems" they mention when talking about people who have died from COVID-19. If schools open earlier than we feel is safe, then we are going to have a difficult decision what to do about our 5 year old. Fortunately, the school do seem to be reasonable. so I think we would be able to have a sensible discussion with them about what we do.

You say people are protesting,from i can see it's mainly in the US,so ?

download.jpg

The fact that Scotland has much fewer cases I would have thought was a strong reason not to lift the lockdown. An opportunity that can't be squandered.

Sounds like you could do with a well deserved break! I have been fortunate to be able to keep working. I guess the point is that for some people it's quickly becoming a choice between stay home and move into poverty, possibly lose their house, watch there family go without or take the risk that you might catch the virus (unlikely) and get seriously ill (even more unlikely). Guess you have to be in that position to go though that thought process

The lockdown is widely supported given the polls and goverment furloughd programme widely accepted by employers judging by today figures . Now we all accept this cannot go on indefinitely and and difficult choices will have to be made but many are protected by staying in lockdown as it stands.

I certainly ain't gonna push for more people to go out to work on minimum wage during this Pandemic as these are the folks keeping the country ticking over as is.

I stopped using public transport before the lockdown came in. I also stopped going into 'a office' for just an ordinary day to sit there before the lockdown came in. I will continue doing the same for a while thereafter once it gets lifted. But aren't in no rush for it to get lifted, that was always going to be the case. We got to be strong and patient now as otherwise, it was all for nothing.

by the time this lock down is lifted the economy maybe irrevocably damaged and the long term consequences for the country and its health will be far worse than this virus.

eventually like in all things you have to weigh up the costs vs risks and i think that point may have already passed....

I'm betting the lockdown stays in position until the graphs of infection/deaths show a clearer downward trend. Then we could open business/smaller gatherings, wait for the reincubation period to be over and see if the NHS still copes. Review what next then.
Larger gatherings reinstated last of all. Schools/Football/Theatres/Cruise Ships (????).
In the meantime we maintain what we can for susceptible people.
Tough game to play, but unless a vaccine suddenly appears, I don't see we have much choice.

I'm betting the lockdown stays in position until the graphs of infection/deaths show a clearer downward trend. Then we could open business/smaller gatherings, wait for the reincubation period to be over and see if the NHS still copes. Review what next then.
Larger gatherings reinstated last of all. Schools/Football/Theatres/Cruise Ships (????).
In the meantime we maintain what we can for susceptible people.
Tough game to play, but unless a vaccine suddenly appears, I don't see we have much choice.
i have never been on a cruise and now i never will!

i think large events like football, concerts, Cinema etc will be hard hit until a vaccine is produced if it ever actually is

Still protests in America

Like the debates about logistics etc. However, what about when the NHS staff burnout from the volume off ill. Caused by those who feel medically experienced enough to override science and logic, with gut feeling and chance?

The lockdown absolutely can not be lifted.

Does everyone have a vaccine for this virus? Are there zero cases of COVID-19 in the UK?
No is the answer.

Just because it looks like it is easing (which it isn't really), we can not lift the lock down yet.
There are too many idiots who will resume their daily lives with groups of people making contact and all of a sudden you will see a return to large numbers of cases and deaths.

It was hard enough to get people to follow the lockdown instructions as it is. If it's lifted the morons will think it is all over and go back to whatever it is they were doing.

The protests in the USA are hilarious. Have you seen the cross section of society that is shown on the photos, plus the banners they are holding? Anti vaxxer nut jobs. Darwinism at work.

What lockdown?
went out shopping for the first time in 4 weeks to my local town which was a huge guilt trip and it was as if nothing is wrong
also noticed far more joggers on the main road

The lockdown absolutely can not be lifted.

Does everyone have a vaccine for this virus? Are there zero cases of COVID-19 in the UK?
No is the answer.

Just because it looks like it is easing (which it isn't really), we can not lift the lock down yet.
There are too many idiots who will resume their daily lives with groups of people making contact and all of a sudden you will see a return to large numbers of cases and deaths.

It was hard enough to get people to follow the lockdown instructions as it is. If it's lifted the morons will think it is all over and go back to whatever it is they were doing.

The protests in the USA are hilarious. Have you seen the cross section of society that is shown on the photos, plus the banners they are holding? Anti vaxxer nut jobs. Darwinism at work.
The death count from years of poverty, mental health issues and reduced NHS treatment for non-covid19 serious health issues could be far more than Covid19 deaths if this lockdown continues much longer. We could end up with millions upon millions unemployed yet no resources left to pay anything to these people. Tax rates will have to rise substantially and benefits and pensions slashed to the minimum

There is an argument that all a lockdown does is delay the inevitable and will barely affect the outcome in mortality yet will cripple the country financially for generations.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom