Time to get an Elite?

TheMightyJag

Established Member
Reaction score
My existing 20GB hard drive is down to 1.9GB again, and there's not much left on there I can remove. Seems like a fairly good excuse to buy an Elite, especially as there are some darn good deals around just now. I just need a wee bit more persuasion - does installing games make that much difference, and are there any other benefits I've overlooked? Come on guys, twist my arm :rotfl:

Cheers :smashin:

owen20starsky2020hutch2eo6.jpg

:D

Installing games makes it run quieter and a little bit quicker on loads.
You can download all the DLC you want with a nice big HDD.
You can install your CD's to rock out while gaming
beavisandbutthead.gif

Its called an Elite so it will make you an Elite Gamer and your gaming will improve atleast 10x....FACT :D

Your friends will be super jealous and chicks will find you irresistible :smashin:

Deftones

The biggest Pro is that installing will save on the gradual disc drive wear and tear on Lasers etc. Its dependant on the game as to whether you will notice a big difference in load times or general smoot running. The big plus for me on drive space now is all the DLC and Arcade games are starting to stack up. You think the average owner will have had their XBOX for atleast a couple of years now and will have ammassed a fair bit of content. With the Super Elite just around the corner its definitely a great time to be considering an upgrade.

My existing 20GB hard drive is down to 1.9GB again, and there's not much left on there I can remove. Seems like a fairly good excuse to buy an Elite, especially as there are some darn good deals around just now. I just need a wee bit more persuasion - does installing games make that much difference, and are there any other benefits I've overlooked? Come on guys, twist my arm :rotfl:

Cheers :smashin:

Installing games to the hard drive does make some difference for some games (load times reduced slightly and disc drive is no as noisy). I noticed an improvement for Fable 2, Bully: Scholarship Edition, Lost Odyssey and Fallout 3.

Halo 3 for example will run worse when installed to the HDD as it's been optimised to run from the disc.

There's a good post on this forums with some info - http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360/854738-nxe-installation-sizes.html

There is also some good info here:
Cheap Ass Gamer - View Single Post - Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes & Loading Times - 446 Games and Counting!
NeoGAF - View Single Post - Official Xbox 360 Game Installs thread

As for the bigger HDD, I bought a 120GB HDD about about a year ago and now I am down to my last 4GB (over the time I've had it I started downloading loads of DLC). I think it depends on how much stuff you download. I download a lot of Rock Band, Lips and Guitar Hero DLC so my hard drive space gets smaller very quickly and I'm now waiting on the 250GB hard drive to be sold separately.

Also I'm not sure how old your 360 is but if you look around you might be able to get a hold of a Jasper unit which should have lower power consumption and quieter to run (in theory - less power = less heat = less fan noise....).

Plus there are some good bundles out now but I'm not sure if you might see some holiday/Christmas bundles soon or if your interested in the 250GB bundles.

Last edited:
Its called an Elite so it will make you an Elite Gamer and your gaming will improve atleast 10x....FACT :D

Sold :D

I download a lot of Rock Band, Lips and Guitar Hero DLC so my hard drive space gets smaller very quickly and I'm now waiting on the 250GB hard drive to be sold separately.

Also I'm not sure how old your 360 is but if you look around you might be able to get a hold of a Jasper unit which should have lower power consumption and quieter to run (in theory - less power = less heat = less fan noise....).

It's Fallout that takes most of my space, HD install + DLC's is massive! I have a few GH songs and noticed they're fairly large.

My 360 is just under 3 years old so if I can get hold of a Jasper I'd expect an improvement in power/heat terms. Just need to hope that Game have one!

Don't, its a waste of money. The hard drive you can either buy separately or make your own for a fraction of the price. The internals are exactly the same inside an Elite and an Arcade, apart from the arcade has 512mb flash memory included, so the arcade is technically higher spec. IMO either stick with your current 360 or get a Jasper 360 Arcade and make your own HDD.

Don't, its a waste of money. The hard drive you can either buy separately or make your own for a fraction of the price. The internals are exactly the same inside an Elite and an Arcade, apart from the arcade has 512mb flash memory included, so the arcade is technically higher spec. IMO either stick with your current 360 or get a Jasper 360 Arcade and make your own HDD.

Hmm yeah, a bit pointless though considering the Arcade is £150 and the Elite is £199 with 2 games that you could trade in or sell on here or ebay for about £60. So you get a brand new Elite with an Official 120Gig HDD for about £140 :rolleyes:

Deftones

Hmm yeah, a bit pointless though considering the Arcade is £150 and the Elite is £199 with 2 games that you could trade in or sell on here or ebay for about £60. So you get a brand new Elite with an Official 120Gig HDD for about £140 :rolleyes:

Deftones

Wow yeah, I just saw the current deals. Still, I can't stand the elites finish, but judging from the current deals (looks like most of the offers end tomorrow) nows the time to get an elite if you want one.

Even the Super Elite Bundle would be a good value purchase.
Elite with 250Gig HDD, 2 Black Wireless Controllers & Modern Warfare 2 Game included for £249 :eek:
The game alone is £55 RRP and the extra controller :thumbsup:
Some great deals around at the moment so shop around.

I'm even tempted in purchasing a new Elite come Xmas

Deftones

Nice to see somebody standing firm in their views. :D

;)

Lol, I didn't know of the current deals at the time of my original post. Better to admit I was wrong than to ignore it.

Considering you've only played 36 games (according to xbox.com) what the hell have you put on there to fill it up?

I notice the Orange Box on your card too - each of the 5 games on there has a 22mb savegame BTW, so there's 110mb you could retrieve if you ditch those...

Do you have lots of game demo's?

Considering you've only played 36 games (according to xbox.com) what the hell have you put on there to fill it up?

I notice the Orange Box on your card too - each of the 5 games on there has a 22mb savegame BTW, so there's 110mb you could retrieve if you ditch those...

Do you have lots of game demo's?

At the moment I've got the Fifa and Forza demos which are about 1GB each. Fallout is installed to the HD and I've got 4 of the DLC's, so that plus save games takes up about 6GB I think. I could probably survive with the 20GB, it's just a pain deleting stuff every couple of weeks if I want to try a demo or install a game.

Hold out for a Month and get the fantastic MW2 Super Elite bundle. Great value for money.

slightly OT, but anyone confirm the Forza and MW2 super elite bundles are jaspers? got 60gb jasper and want to upgrade but like to know before i jump in!

for me the clincher was the colour, after getting a nice black surround sound receiver and sky hd, white just didn't look right. ok my hard drive was pretty much full too and i wanted hdmi (not that it was much different from vga).

My mind is now made up, I'm getting one :D just need to pick my bundle - either Amazon, or Game/Gamestation if I'm in town over the weekend :thumbsup:

May I ask if you are getting COD 6?

Because I would recommend waiting for the Call of Duty console which is priced at £250. It's pretty good value considering you get the game which is £45, a 250 gb hdd where as normal 120gb hdd retail at £80 and an extra controller.

Had to go into town on an unrelated errand, so paid a visit to Gamestation and picked up a shiny new Elite :thumbsup: got it with Fifa 10 and NFS Shift for £200, and was able to swap Fifa for the PS3 version. Cheers Gamestation!

New elite... nice :thumbsup:

Although don't forget if your drive does start to fill up again you can delete some of your DLC for the older games or older arcade games, you can always download them again later on for free if needed.

Is the Elite available in white, or are there any plans to release it in white? Wouldn't mind trading in my old machine for a new Elite, but if a black 360 suddenly appeared the wife would notice. If it's the same colour as the old she'll never know the difference!

Is the Elite available in white, or are there any plans to release it in white? Wouldn't mind trading in my old machine for a new Elite, but if a black 360 suddenly appeared the wife would notice. If it's the same colour as the old she'll never know the difference!

Only black....

Why not get a 120GB HDD and put that in your machine?

It isn't only the bigger HD that I'd get it for. Mine's an old machine now, I can see it in its coffin sometime soon!, Newer, quieter chipset & HDMI would also be nice. Unless there's a place doing 120Gb drives cheap then the cost of an elite, with my machine traded in, wouldn't be that much more than the bigger HD alone.

im a bit out of the loop, so please excuse me if this is a newb question :)

i have a very, very dead, beyond repair :eek:(don't ask) 360 (original 20gb) that now has a 120gb in it - tomorrow i'm planning on either getting a black elite with MW2+ extra game hopefully thrown in - or just buy an arcade machine on its own.

If i buy the elite then i'll give the 120gb that it comes with to my boy (he's got my old 20gb atm)

But the question is are the arcades and the elites both definately got the new Jasper chipsets in them?

Like i said im outta the loop

cheers fellas :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom