1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to dvd upgrade

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pete Delaney, May 23, 2003.

1. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes: I have decided to start upgrading my home cinema. Currently I have a Pioneer dv525 and would like a progressive scan player. I have a budget of around £200 to £300 and so far have found a Tosh 520(Multi region£200) and Marants 4300(multi regiion £250). Which would you go for or do you know of a better model out there in internet land? Also, do you think the improvement will be worth the upgrade, my 525 has served me very well. In the future I will be going plasma, at the mo I have a 32" philips crt.

TIA

Pete:smashin:

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If you are only going for plasma at some point in the future, I would not upgrade my dvd player until that time - you will more choice as more manufacturers add ps (including pal ps).
    You won't get a much better picture on your crt than the one from your current player for the money you are thinking of paying .

3. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Marantz DV4300 and I'm very happy with it, although I don't have a Plasma yet to try the progressive scan. There are sumours that it will actually do PAL prog scan as well as NTSC, but it is only officially NTSC prog.

It got a very good review in <insert magazine title I can't remember> this month, although they weren't as impressed with CD playback (which sounds fine to me...)

The Harmon-Kardon HK25 also gets good reviews and can be picked up for under £300, and there are more prog-scan players on the way soon if that's your bag.

I personally bought my Marantz cos it matches my amp :blush: and in case I upgrade to plasma.

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Pete,

As Wilber says, you probably wouldn't see much improvement buying a new player at this time on your current TV. Unless you want extra featires like DVD-Audio or SACD, you should maybe wait until nearer your plasma purchase. Saying that, the upcoming Sony NS930 has PAL progressive scan and is SACD compatible - it will be about £270 in July, but I'm sure there'll be an even better choice later in the year. Hope this helps.

Steve

5. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: Thanks guys, it's good food for thought.

6. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I found the Sony900NV player multiregion for £230 and the sony 705 £155. I bought the sony 900 just over a year ago and i think it is a superb bit of kit.