Time to change energy provider? (Solar + EV)

niceguy1966

Distinguished Member
I've been on the variable rate of my small energy provider for about a year (since my last fixed rate expired and the capped variable was lower than the fixed rates offered). Amazingly, my small provider hasn't gone bankrupt (OutfoxTheMarket).

In January I had solar panels with battery fitted. This week I ordered an electric car that will be delivered in the summer (fingers crossed), so I think it's time for a review and probably a change.

I'm thinking I should probably switch to a plan with cheap night rate electricity for charging the car (and solar battery in the winter). And in the summer I would like to be paid for the power I'm putting back into the grid (my very old smart meter doesn't allow this at the moment). I'll need a car charging point too, but that could be bought from a 3rd party.

Does anyone have any advice about which providers offer good plans for people both solar and EVs? I've heard Octopus is good, but I don't know which plan, or how quick they are to fit a new smart meter/EV charger.

All help appreciated!

ih8mondays

Not sure about EV chargers, but they are taking a while to fit smart meters at this time - guess everyone wants one now.

You might be better off getting one fitted with your current supplier - as long as it's a smets2 you'll be fine, and I think the older ones can be upgraded to V2 standards these days too.

neilball

Octopus Go is the preferred supplier & tariff for a lot of EV drivers, but you need a SMETS2 meter to transfer over.

MaryWhitehouse

but they are taking a while to fit smart meters at this time

No appointments with SSE at the moment and I believe many others are the same. Keep hassling me to get one mind!

niceguy1966

Distinguished Member
Not sure about EV chargers, but they are taking a while to fit smart meters at this time - guess everyone wants one now.

You might be better off getting one fitted with your current supplier - as long as it's a smets2 you'll be fine, and I think the older ones can be upgraded to V2 standards these days too.
You're 100% right.

Octopus suggested I get my current supplier to fit a new smart meter because they have a long waiting list. My current supplier is being very slow even getting their smart meter department to contact me (one week ago they promised to call me back).

I think I'll be donating excess electricity to the grid for free this summer.

niceguy1966

Distinguished Member
An additional question relating to solar and EV charging...

Had anyone researched solar aware EV chargers?

Zappi seems to really focus on their solar compatibility, with an eco and eco+ mode. The latter using only the power that would have gone to the grid and no more for a free trickle charge.

INDRA Smart PRO claims to support solar charging, but had virtually no details on their website.

Has anyone done any in-depth research into solar charging?

WolfCarnage77

Take a look on YouTube at a guy called EV Puzzle and another called Spectrum Geek, loads of useful real experience of the Zappi and other units.

niceguy1966

Distinguished Member
Take a look on YouTube at a guy called EV Puzzle and another called Spectrum Geek, loads of useful real experience of the Zappi and other units.
I spoke to an installer that provided several different ev charge points, and for my set up, he recommended the zappi.

Hopefully he's a good guy as I've ordered one and it will be installed next week.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom