1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to Buy

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by reddragon, Mar 15, 2005.

1. reddragon

reddragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been to comet to see the new LG PX11 on display, It was hooked up to a DVD player via 'Monster' component cables, and i can tell you the picture was EXCELLENT!! so good in fact that i have made up my mind to go for one of these screens.

I was almost there for a Panny but the additional costs of component and scart boards, stand, and speakers would have taken the price upto 2k. With the LG PX11 you get Excellent connectivity, 3 scarts, component video and audio etc and more importantly a picture to rival the P6/P7. all for 1,369 online price (not comet)

Spec:
    5000:1 contrast ratio
    1100 Brightness
    60,000 hour life
    XD Engine

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Hmmmmmmmm yes the LG is good VALUE but you have to go some on boards to get a PW7 to £2k!!!!(and loads of inputs needed means poor system design................. and lower quality) But glad you have demoed and made an informed choice.....

3. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hope it wasn't showing Monsters Inc or other CGI job on which you made the decision. Think you will find the reviews say that it is ok on DVD but not brilliant on TV! I was going for the 42PX11 but changed my mind to the PW6 - largely as a result of the folks on this forum. Go and look at the reviews on http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/

4. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've also gone the same LG route !

I spent over an hour in the shop getting the bloke to move around the DVD player and even get a proper lead from the SKY+ box straight into various plasmas.

My final decision came down to the Samsung PS42 and the LG, but the Samsung lacked in build quality.

One thing I found shocking was if you pay another £500 for a big brand name, you don’t necessarily get a better picture,

I know a lot of people rate the PW* and everybody has personal preferences, but to me the LG seems to have a brighter picture with fresher colours.

I’ve read the reviews, but they tend to change there minds from one month to another.

5. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86

You're right - the site I referred to gave the LG 80% in the latest trials but gave it a right slagging off last year. Perhaps the new firmware update and improved contrast ratio has made a difference.

6. reddragon

reddragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually now you mention it, it was a CGI Job, but i asked the guy to turn the channel over to the footy (BBC1), and it still looked quite impressive on tuner mode. Compared to the Samsung model next to it, the picture i would say was better.

HCC's latest review gave it 80%, 4 stars for picture quality, and they tested a non CGI movie.