• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Time to buy a steering wheel, any ideas?

DaveRetroLondon

Prominent Member
Hi all,

Finally I have my triple screen set up and sat in front of them I feel the likes of Forza etc need a steering wheel.

Does anyone have any recommendations at all? never had one before, also have a PS4 pro and I see some that are PC and PS4, which would be good!

Any experiences and help will be great!

Thanks

Dave

DaveRetroLondon

Prominent Member
I have a Thrustmaster T300RS which works with both of and PS4 and I really like.
I have this fitted to a Playseat Challenge which is also excellent and can be folded up if needed.

Now that sounds great, I'll have a look at that model, thanks.

I won't need the Playseat, as the desk the 3 monitors span is very large so I'll attach to that.....I am presuming the wheel can be clipped on or something?

welshy

Established Member
I have a Thrustmaster T500RS and it hasn't missed a beat in the last 5 years. It's built like a tank with a solid construction and precise in use. Careful not to have your hands on it when you first switch on your PC otherwise you might break your wrist, the wheel rotates fully a few times and it is that strong.

DaveRetroLondon

Prominent Member
I have a Thrustmaster T500RS and it hasn't missed a beat in the last 5 years. It's built like a tank with a solid construction and precise in use. Careful not to have your hands on it when you first switch on your PC otherwise you might break your wrist, the wheel rotates fully a few times and it is that strong.

Sounds fun! they're expensive, but I can see from reviews, well worth it! and good to know you've had it for 5 years with no issues! reading about the T300 there seem to be quite a few failures on relatively new wheels.

stument

Distinguished Member

lscolman

Prominent Member
I've had a lot of racing wheel bases now, so will give you my thoughts:-

Logitech G25/27: fun for a bit, but noisy, being mostly plastic and you can do a lot better for the same money. Lots of upgrades available for the pedal set.

Fanatec Porsche GT2: (I have one for sale in outstanding condition): great feel and feedback for little money now. I'd compare this with the T300, without the ability to change rims. Combine with a set of Fanatec Clubsport Pedals and this would serve you very well.

Thrustmaster T300/TX: (I have a couple of these for sale, albeit both are not in the best condition, having been repaired) Great force feedback, good bang for the buck. Nice selection of interchangeable rim's.

Fanatec Clubsport v1: Fanastic all round. Interchangeable rims are great quality.

Fanatec Clubsport v2: A little better than the v1, but not really discernible to the average sim driver.

You need to consider where you will do the majority of your sim racing, i.e. desk mounted hardware is fun for a couple of days, but nothing compares to a dedicated rig. I have mine in the loft. In my opinion Playseat is an OK starter, but the centre shaft that holds the wheelbase is not located in the best place (between your legs), and for that reason I use a GT Omega Pro rig. I run triple 32" monitors, and the realism is great.

VR is a consideration too. I have an Oculus Rift DK2, and the compatibility with Project Cars on PC is good fun. I would recommend trying one before purchase, as it can make me feel sick as a dog at times. I rarely use it now.

You also need to consider what sim racing you are likely to want to do, as that influences which wheel to go for, as the above and other wheelbases are compatible with different hardware (PC, Xbox, PS4).

PC sim racing is by far the best, in that you can run games like iracing (subscription racing), run triple monitors for realism, and utilise custom displays and button boxes to allow you to build a dashboard. PC driving games can be bought for very little money and added to your steam account. I think must have bought all of them over the last year or so. Xbox One gaming is best done on Forza (I have all five of those titles), and each one is great fun. I feel that Assetto Corsa runs very nice on Xbox One. PS4, I have Project Cars and Dirt Rally, and they are both great games.

mozza54

Prominent Member
What you get will ultimately depend on your budget, Ive got friends who are well into their racing games and swear by the Fanatec wheels. The two wheels, I've used recently are the Thrustmaster T150 and G29, both are pretty solid wheels with good compatibility with PC and PS4 for the price.

Assuming your not looking to break the bank, If your not in a rush, keep an eye out for a deal on a Logitech G29/G920 as its always coming up for the £150 mark with shifter.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom