time scale on sky hd install

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jonathan raines, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Member 354643

Member 354643
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    shame you are so far away i could install you next week for the same price as sky try an independant around your area :D

2. Bluefold

Bluefold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Sunderland and have just been given a 3 Month Wait, Hoping that it might be a placeholder and the actual date might be a lot sooner.

3. jon_burrows

jon_burrows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I live in South Shields and had my 3 month notice for a copule of weeks now. Hoping it will change soon.

4. Member 354643

Member 354643
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I know thats Terrible, I suppose its because most people when they think of sky they presume only sky can install it for them i suppose i have just booked in 2 customers today both for an upgrade to HD for Wednesday next week :thumbsup:

5. Bluefold

Bluefold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking online for an independent that Covers the area but can not find any.

Out of interest What do you charge for your installs? is it on par with Sky or would I have to pau a lot more for an independent

6. Member 354643

Member 354643
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    To be honest i dont know what the independents in your area would charge, We are generally on par with sky and are well known for this in our area :thumbsup:

7. LeeDicko

LeeDicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    I registered 2 days ago to upgrade to sky+ hd (currently have sky+)

Got a txt saying to check the website about my order, got really excited about the thought of having an install date, got greated with this...

You have successfully registered to upgrade. We expect you should be able to complete your order in around 3 months.

That's just laughable, i understand that it's a rough guess but if the time wait doesnt change within a week i'll be cancelling my upgrade as there are plenty other things i could buy with £90 which doesn't require a 3 month time wait!

8. runningsamevans

runningsamevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've just took the plunge and registered for SKY+ HD this morning mostly for like everyone says the PQ on SD channels is better and I love The Discovery 'Whales and Hitler' Channel, so why not catch it in HD and at £49 as existing customer and six months half price l8ine rental a bargain.

It states in my prgress a couple of weeks - is this the stock answer after registering before a date is agreed?

9. runningsamevans

runningsamevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just checked this morning, hoping for a suprise - and got AROUND THREE MONTHS.....:thumbsdow

10. Member 354643

Member 354643
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo for SKY!!!!!!! :thumbsdow

11. Squirrel NZ

Squirrel NZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    new money will win all the time. At the moment they are already recieving revinue from existing costomers. Leaving new customers waiting looses them money.

Also it has alot to do with supply in the area your in. If they arent getting many orders in Cornwall, they're not gonnaa ship the sky guys to Nottingham to fulful over subscription areas.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  12. Rabfan8

Rabfan8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Upgrade to HD request registered 22/03. Tracking my registration has now shown:-

Ist Update - 10 to 12 weeks
    2nd Update - 7 to 10 weeks
    3rd Update - 2 Months ??
    4th Update - 4 to 7 weeks

Ho hum !:boring:

13. Int3rceptor

Int3rceptor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    I had been given a 3 month waiting time so I emailed Sky to complain. I pointed out the I pay almost £90 a month and asked if they would like me to take my business else where.

I received a phone call the next day and got my box installed 2 days later.

The email address I used is '[email protected]'

14. XDaveyboyX

XDaveyboyX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Booked my HD+ last wednesday from a guy on a little sky booth in the shopping centre near here and it was installed on monday afternoon.

The biggest problem i'm having is getting my phone and broadband installed - looks like another month before that's all settled (fortnight or so for the phone plus another 10 days line testing for the broadband).

15. Bluefold

Bluefold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Just done this after reading your Post. If nothing else at least I got to vent a little at Sky.

16. richpont

richpont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm looking to upgrade from Sky + to HD and have received the usual 3-4 month wait notice but I told them I didn't need an install as it was a simple case of swapping the boxes over. The CS guy agreed and said he'd put it through as a replacement box and not an install so I'm only due to pay for the box itself (£49).

I was just wondering though, having read the last few comments, if independent installers can install straight away and have boxes, is there any other way for me to get hold of the HD box without waiting months for an installation that I don't need? :cool:

Cheers :D

17. Bluefold

Bluefold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it depends on where you are. Some Independets offer existing customers the same Sky offer and install within a week or so. All the ones i have contacted in the North East have told me that they can only offer the Sky offer to New customers as sky have stopped them from selling discounted to Existing customers.

18. richpont

richpont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes, I suppose that makes sense. Sky don't benefit much from letting the boxes go cheaply. Thanks for your response.

19. runningsamevans

runningsamevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Emailed Customer Services today to say that I am deploying overseas (I am honestly):thumbsdow and to see if they could budge with the THREE month wait so I could try some of my expensice outlay before I go away for six months...... and I got the Generic NATO standard computer reply that you get when you register. Even the forces dont get any perks....:(

20. Bluefold

Bluefold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick update after sending the email to '[email protected]' as mentioned by Int3rceptor I received a phone call the next day from a very polite woman who informed me that the reason for the wait is due to high demand etc but she had access to book people in on cancellation spots and I am now getting it installed this coming Wednesday. They even waived the install fee because I have Multi-room.

21. mark1080p

mark1080p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +602
    Got an update:

3 months to 7-12 Weeks - so erm pretty much the same, just months expressed in weeks....

22. drsuave

drsuave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    mine took about 6 weeks from order to installation.

23. TUT

TUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I am a long existing Sky+ customer , phoned on Wednesday to upgrade to Sky+HD , got it for £49 with Free installation and 2 month free HD Pack , they give me installation date at the beginning of June , phoned today (Friday) and asked if there is any cancellation as i would like to have it installed sooner and they said i can have it installed as early as next Tuesday so i booked it and i am getting it installed next week. :thumbsup:
    So from the order day to the installation day is only a week .. result :D :D

One question : if i get the choice , which HD box i should ask the installer for (please give me 1st choice and 2nd choice just in case)

24. dtobin

dtobin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +521
    My friend rang up today and ordered sky+ hd.

Getting installed on Tuesday - very impressed.:smashin:

I get the £50 of vouchers for recommending him too! :clap:

25. Member 354643

Member 354643
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Because he is such a good friend your going to split it with him yeah? lol:D

26. dtobin

dtobin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +521
    No need - he get's £50 of them too for joining sky.:smashin:

27. runningsamevans

runningsamevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    whom did you speak to at SKY, when I spoke to a nice lady - she did the old plumbers trick of sucking the lips and saying oooohhhh you havent been waiting very long have you - and I said is there any cancelllation and she just flanned the conversation and said well we will have to send you a letter saying your orders ready before we can book you a date. Me thinks she was mugging me off:nono:

28. RostokMcSpoons

RostokMcSpoons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I ordered HD a week or two ago, and then got the dreaded '3 months' email. I immediately tried to coerce a customer service guy into doing something by saying how disappointed I was to have to wait so long and that I'd like to cancel. But he said:

"Well, it's just a pre-order, you will probably get an earlier date, so just let it run and if it's too late and you don't want to procede you can just ignore it when we ask you to confirm the installation date."

Damn! :rolleyes: Difficult to argue against!

I think I'm going to give it another try, because I'd love to get HD in time for the Champions League final... there seem to be a few different avenues, which do you guys think would be most effective?

1) Phone up and ask if there any cancellations available

2) Phone up and say I already have Sky+, and just need a box swap and I'm quite happy to do this myself (I'd actually love an engineer to come around and tweak my dish alignment as I can't receive some channels - the Military channel is always 'no signal' now... but I'll sacrifice that for a quick installation)

3) Phone up and 'go off on one' - rant about how I'm a long-standing loyal customer (10+ years) and demand to be treated better. (Actually I might set my wife on 'em, she's scary when she gets going :rotfl:) Or send an email to that Jeremy Darroch... is he a customer service manager or someone even higher? Anyone know?

4) Phone up and say I'd like to cancel the Sky HD AND the Movies because I'm going Blu Ray + LoveFilm instead (which I could do... except I'd miss out on HD Sports :suicide:).

5) Phone up and say I'll take Multi-room as well, as long as they do a quick installation. (I'd actually quite like multi-room, but didn't want to spend the extra £10 per month, as I've already got a freeview card for the other room... I'd only really use it to watch the occasional footy matches)

Obviously I could mix-and-match a few of those different options. Or try them each in turn (I guess there might be a bit of a credibility gap if they do a good job of tracking the gist of every conversation we have with them!)

Waddya reckon?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  29. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I had a none Sky engineer round last Sunday to fix a knackered Sky+ box...

Had the usual chat with him over a cuppa as he was working... Suggested he must be crackers busy with all the new HD installs and the analogue switch-off getting going. Surprisingly, he told me he wasn't far off having to close his business due to a lack of calls from Sky! He claimed to have a warehouse stacked with HD boxes and lots of spare slots during his week but Sky were still sticking to this crackers 3month wait...

He had no explanation for it and I sure as hell cannot figure out what Sky are playing at, assuming it is true.

Now I've got my existing Sky+ working I've registered for HD and also got the 3 month wait line. Going to phone this week to suggest I know an installer who could do it tomorrow and seeing as it's a straight swap, I'm not paying the £30 install to see how I get on.

Would love to know why Sky appear to be creating this artificial lead time on the installs...

30. runningsamevans

runningsamevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Rostock, I myself have tried some - not all of the above and there are certain credability issues! It ended up sounding like "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me sky HD I will do anything!:lease: I think the 3 months is a guide. when i spoke to the woman she just said wait, out.