Time Machine Question

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by S2K DG, Feb 13, 2009.

1. S2K DG

S2K DG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I currently use time machine to back up my imac.

I have spent 2 months ripping my dvd collection to an ext 1tb drive ready for streaming to appletv. I would like to back this drive up to a 2nd ext drive as I can't face the thought of ripping/converting all those dvd's again.

Is it possibile to use Time Machine to do this without messing with the imac back up? I know SuperDuper is highly recommended.....is that a better option?

Thanks
    David

2. James.1

James.1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    What's your current backup strategy, and how many/what size disks do you have?

A good solution would be to partition the second external disk in two, copy the first external to one partition, and then do a Full-Clone backup of your iMac to the second. What you use to do this depends entirely on preference/budget. SuperDuper! (<-- not free) and Carbon Copy Cloner (<-- add supported donation ware) will both do Full-Clones of Volumes/Partitions and then Sync the data after that so only the new stuff is copied over. Disk Utility (already on your Mac) will do a Full-Clone, but there is no syncing, you have to copy it all every time.

3. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    As James.1 says go with CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) as its free and create an auto update within it to run overnight as often as you wish.

4. S2K DG

S2K DG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have 3 ext drives.

1) 350gb used to back up imac HDD. Has 130 Gb free. I'm happy for this drive to just continue as it is.

2) 1TB drive that holds my itunes library. This has about 150gb free. This currently has no back up.

3) 1TB drive completey empty awaiting to back up itunes library.

I know I could just copy the contents of drive 2 to drive 3 but I would like to be able to do incremental back ups occasionally as my itunes library increases. Can this be handled by time machine?

Thanks for help.

5. S2K DG

S2K DG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks.....I'll check out CCC. :smashin:

6. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    The issue with TM vs CCC (eg) is that you will clone the drive so if the primary went down than you could simply unplug and connect the clone backup, whereas with TM you'd have to restore the content. James will correct me if I'm wrong.

All I know about TM at the moment is it stops my iMac mounting a firewire My Book it uses as a backup though god knows why.

7. James.1

James.1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    You're not wrong.

Time Machine isn't suited for cloning one external disk to another, although it can be done by default TM excludes your external disks so the disk you want to copy would need to be un-excluded. After that, you would then have to mess around excluding your system files, applications and so on. Add on top of that the fact that your files will be in a disk image, which as Tennex points out, isn't directly usable. It also adds another point of failure. So my advise is to forget TM entirely.

Given what you have, I have two suggestions for you.

The first is to just clone one external to the other. Use whatever you want for this (CCC as it's free) and set it up on a schedule every night (or whenever suits you). If you do this, I suggest that you have your entire iTunes folder on the external and not just the music, that way if it all goes tits-up you can just launch iTunes with the Option key held down and point it to your backup disk.

The other option is to use Disk Utility to setup a software raid that mirrors one external to the other. I've never used it so I can't comment on its performance of reliability but given that you have to disks of equal size, it might be worth looking into.