Time machine question

aerodynamic18

Distinguished Member
guys when i plug in my external drive i get asked do i want it to become a time machine. I have used this drive to back up my windows pc but now everything is transferred to the mac so i don't need it for that. If i set up time machine will i still be able to use this drive to transfer files as well as being a time machine? Will this then update time machine every time i plug the drive into the mac then?

Rottie

guys when i plug in my external drive i get asked do i want it to become a time machine. I have used this drive to back up my windows pc but now everything is transferred to the mac so i don't need it for that. If i set up time machine will i still be able to use this drive to transfer files as well as being a time machine? Will this then update time machine every time i plug the drive into the mac then?
Hi there,

Here's what you need to do:
Open Disk Utility (Found in "Utilities" folder, inside "Applications folder" - OR just hit cmd-shift U from a Finder window)
When you have Disk Utility open, mount your External drive if it's not already mounted erase any data you don't need.
Next, make 2 partitions; one which will act as your Time Machine disk and the other, which will be a basic disk for storage. :)
(I've included a screenshot of my setup, where I have 3 partitions, as a graphic example of what I mean)
When you make the partitions mentioned above, you will be asked what type of partition you want, so I would suggest that you make the TM one "Mac OS Extended" and the other partition either Mac OS Extended as well, or if you intend to move data between Mac and Windows, then it should be ExFat. :)

To Enable Time Machine, all you need to do is plug the drive in and the OS will ask you to select which partition you want to use for your TM disk. :) Just make sure you go to System preferences > Time Machine and click on the check box that says "Show Time Machine status in menu bar" and then, when you want to back up manually, simply click on the little TM icon and select "Back Up Now". :)

I hope this info helps. :D

Attachments

aerodynamic18

Distinguished Member
thats it brill thanks :D. when it updates itself when i plug it in again will it copy everything again or just the changes?

Rottie

Hi again,

From what I understand, TM will only back up the files that have changed since your last backup. :)
I'm no expert by any means on this subject, but I'm sure someone else can confirm this for you. :)

I hope this info helps. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom