Time Machine 'aliases'??

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by simon12, Jun 20, 2015.

1. simon12

simon12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I am backing up my MBA onto an external drive via my AEBS. I am also backing up another external drive to the same target by attaching it to my MBA when I need to perform a backup.

With the TM Backup disk mounted via the AEBS, I can go into it and see what has been backed up. However, when I start to delve into the folders on my MBA's backups I see all the folders have the small arrow in the corner showing that these are shortcuts. I can't get into the folders. However when I physically plug the drive in to my MBA, all the folders act as normal. Why is this?

Also, I cannot seem to backup to the TM drive without plugging it in directly, although I have managed to backup to it before wirelessly.

2. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    The official line from Apple is that Time Machine backups to a HDD connected to an AEBS are not supported.

It *sometimes* works, for a while, or it may appear to work, but the backups may be corrupted.

I would either just continue using the HDD connected directly to your MBA, or purchase a Time Capsule or a NAS supporting Time Machine.

3. simon12

simon12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Well, the backups are definitely there because when I connect the HDD it shows them up fine. All very strange though. I managed to get the MBA to do an incremental backup wirelessly. I think it had something to do with the TM thinking the backup disk was a 'new' one as it was not connected the same way. But as far as the shortcuts go, I simply don't get it.

4. mikelj

mikelj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    ^Because officially it's not supported, so anything could happen.