Time Lapse/Low light, any recommendations

GaryHiggins

Standard Member
Hi All.

I require either a SMALL digital camera which will perform time lapse photography OR a video camera which will do the same.
I really want to take one photo every hour until the memory card is full or the batteries run out whcihever comes sooner.
Do the digital camera's with this function "power down" during this operation or are the lenses constantly focusing etc therby reducing battery life?
I need to be able to take pictures (black and white will suffice) pretty much in the dark with very little ambient light.

Many thanks if anyone can help me. loads of time "googling" without too much to show for it.

kenlynch

Standard Member
You need to get hold of some remote capture software. Breeze Systems do some for Canon DSLRs and Canon PowerShot cameras. There may be other software available which supports other cameras.

This software allows you to control the camera from a PC or laptop via USB.

AFAIK, this is the only way to do it digitally, there are no cameras I know of with time-lapse built in.

sorbiegunner

Standard Member
The Olympus SP500 can do the time lapse bit,
Interval shooting 2-99 frames with interval between the shots from 1 to 60 min.
spec here
You could set the focus to manual and adjust it to your subject, that would solve one problem, the low light wouldn't be a problem if you don't mind a long exposure.

GaryHiggins

Standard Member
Thanks for your replys. Much appreciated. After a bit more surfing I found exactly what I was looking for.

Not sure of the rules about commercial links, but search for "trail camera" and you'll find plenty of options. There appears to be quite a few ways available to control pretty much any digital camera/video to perfom time lapse.

Those crafty Americans; although they like to kill things they do come up with some devilishly clever items :clap:

expat

GaryHiggins said:
Those crafty Americans; although they like to kill things they do come up with some devilishly clever items :clap:
:offtopic: (I'm an expat from Washington, D.C. :rolleyes: )

Trending threads

Top Bottom