Time for upgrade from lg55b7

djstevie

Ok so my Jan 2018 bought LG 55B7 oled has some screen burn despite me being careful with static images. The Netflix logo is burnt into bottom right and the sky sports news ticker on the left. Not overly noticeable on normal content but it's there.

Im after a 65 this time so debating whether to go oled again (I'm assuming burn in is less of an issue on the newer models?). Was eyeing up the 65 inch B1 at Costco for £1400 but some reviews state it's quite dull.

I watch normal TV mainly, have a series X which I game on a few days a week. I need proper HDR and 120hz panel. Motion for football has to be spot on. I wouldn't be against LCD with it's not so black blacks but things like bad panel uniformity, DSE, and flashlighting are a no no.

Last edited:

pastrybloke19

New OLEDs are better at resisting burn in, but I would say it is marginal gains each year. Given you have experienced burn in, I would aim for LCD. Also 65” lcd tend to be better value than OLED.

Best value TVs are from 2020, but can be hard to find: XH9505 is high end and often recommended, cracking for HDR and one of the best for motion, but doesn’t have hdmi2.1 tho. If Hdmi2.1 is important (I.e for gameing), then see if you can find a Q90T/Q95T around.

@Dodgexander guide is worth a read, plus search for some threads with similar needs.

If you can’t find any 2020 TVs, then 2021s are around but very pricey and I would wait if you can; Black Friday is when @Dodgexander new guide comes out, and is pretty much the Holy Bible of buying a tv…..🤣

Cheers

djstevie

New OLEDs are better at resisting burn in, but I would say it is marginal gains each year. Given you have experienced burn in, I would aim for LCD. Also 65” lcd tend to be better value than OLED.

Best value TVs are from 2020, but can be hard to find: XH9505 is high end and often recommended, cracking for HDR and one of the best for motion, but doesn’t have hdmi2.1 tho. If Hdmi2.1 is important (I.e for gameing), then see if you can find a Q90T/Q95T around.

@Dodgexander guide is worth a read, plus search for some threads with similar needs.

If you can’t find any 2020 TVs, then 2021s are around but very pricey and I would wait if you can; Black Friday is when @Dodgexander new guide comes out, and is pretty much the Holy Bible of buying a tv…..🤣

Cheers
Thanks for the reply. I did have a nosey at dodgexander guide, in fact I'm sure that's what led me to the b7 in the first place. Been happy with it until I noticed this screen burn.

Buying a new tv is always a minefield 😉

pastrybloke19

Thanks for the reply. I did have a nosey at dodgexander guide, in fact I'm sure that's what led me to the b7 in the first place. Been happy with it until I noticed this screen burn.

Buying a new tv is always a minefield 😉
It is indeed, think I spent months looking and then ended up going for the first one I was tempted with at the start!!! 🤣

Be worth having a look at them in person, going from OLED to LCD might mean you notice some issues, I.e OLED blacks are way better. But overall they each have advantages/disadvantages.

I highly rate my current OLED tv, but I think if I had the choice again I would go for a LCD: mainly as my missus is forever leaving static images on…! 😱

Dodgexander

LG knocked the brightness down on their B lineup in 2020. The B1 can only reach around 300-400 nits of peak brightness which makes for a poorer HDR picture. This was different in 2017-19 where the TVs we're practically indistinguishable from the C line.

I'd avoid 2021 models, and try to get a 2020 one at a discount instead.

If you do want a 2021 model, for example you want to invest in the new panel tech found on models like the Sony A80J or LG G1, then its best to wait to purchase at a later date when prices are more reasonable. Buying a 2021 model now will mean you'll spend more, for less of a TV.

djstevie

LG knocked the brightness down on their B lineup in 2020. The B1 can only reach around 300-400 nits of peak brightness which makes for a poorer HDR picture. This was different in 2017-19 where the TVs we're practically indistinguishable from the C line.

I'd avoid 2021 models, and try to get a 2020 one at a discount instead.

If you do want a 2021 model, for example you want to invest in the new panel tech found on models like the Sony A80J or LG G1, then its best to wait to purchase at a later date when prices are more reasonable. Buying a 2021 model now will mean you'll spend more, for less of a TV.
So HDR on the newer b1 would be worse than my current b7? I did click on the link above but it said oops the thread doesn't exist for some reason.

I'll hold off for now then until I see something like the G1 at a more affordable price.

Dodgexander

Sorry, the link I meant to post is this one:

But to answer your question, yes HDR will be worse on the new B1 compared to your current TV.

Right now you should be able to find some 2020 stock at a discount like the Philips OLED705 or Panasonic HZ980. These will match your old TV.

djstevie

Sorry, the link I meant to post is this one:

But to answer your question, yes HDR will be worse on the new B1 compared to your current TV.

Right now you should be able to find some 2020 stock at a discount like the Philips OLED705 or Panasonic HZ980. These will match your old TV.
Thank you. I really like the look of the G1, I'm in no rush so I'll hold off for a price drop on that.

I do like the look of the Phillips you've suggested above but it doesn't have full 2.1 hdmi support and I'd be kicking myself if i upgraded without it.

Last edited:

djstevie

Right so I'd narrowed my search down to either the 65C1 or the Philips 806, couldn't justify the 65G1 price, anyway went to Curry's today just to see them in the flesh. I know shop floors are the worst to check on viewing etc.

Came away even more confused as I really like the look of Samsung's 65qn95a. It looked superb in HDR mode. Genuinely can't make my mind up.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
The Samsung looked good as the shop environment would be bright lights, so an LED is superior under those conditions.

An OLED is a better TV for picture quality, but it's not better for everyone. If you're putting it in a bright room you can't dim to get the bright light off the screen or don't want to, you'd probably be better with an LCD panel.

However, if you don't need a new TV now, it's the worst time to buy as these are all new TVs, just launched and at near their highest prices. They'll start getting discounted at Black Friday and by next June/July they'll be at their cheapest, some up to 50% of the price they are now, as the new 2022 models are being released.

As to the OLEDs, also have a look at the Sony A80J.

djstevie

Cheers. I love OLED I really do but with the b7 having screen burn, I don't want to be in the same place with a C1 in 3 years time. Feel bad telling the kids to get Nickelodeon off 😂

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I'd say things have moved on in the last 4-5 years with regarding screen burn. LG has put more into mitigating it and a few sites have done test such as RTINGS.com.

John Lewis does additional insurance for £140, this covers accidental damage and screen burn.

djstevie

Yeah I've read that things should be better. I do remember reading though, the same things about the B6 when I bought the B7. Truth is we won't know for sure until 3 or 4 years down the line.

Everytime I think right that's the 1 I change my mind. Drives me mental 😂

Reading up on that qled Samsung Ive seen a few members have panels with bad DSE, now I remember why I hated that technology and went Oled.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I've got* a 65" Sony LCD I've been very happy with. Blooming was minimal and HDR looked excellent on it, it handles motion well, it had no DSE. It's not as good as an OLED though and the room it's used in is mainly dull or dark.

It went phut last week so I'm looking to replace it with a 77" OLED but I don't really want to pay near launch prices, so I'm trying to hold off for a couple of months until Black Friday at least and make do with a 49" from another room for the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom