Time for EV Number 8 !!!

PRESSTOG

You need a bit more than commando socket, else you will be powering the hole street.:(

Yeah it's being wired in the same way an off grid solar array inverter would be wired in. Just that the inverter is un the car rather than the house

ashenfie

Yeah it's being wired in the same way an off grid solar array inverter would be wired in. Just that the inverter is un the car rather than the house
Yeah basically you need an A/C transfer switch which can be automatic or manual as you like. They're not very expensive either.

IronGiant

Ours Solar Inverter diverts any excess power to the grid, if the grid "fails" ie a power cut it turns off completely. Presumably you are setting up some sort of switch to isolate you from the grid in a similar way while still having the battery active? That must be how standard back up batteries work?

PRESSTOG

Ours Solar Inverter diverts any excess power to the grid, if the grid "fails" ie a power cut it turns off completely. Presumably you are setting up some sort of switch to isolate you from the grid in a similar way while still having the battery active? That must be how standard back up batteries work?

Yep grid will isolate when car is plugged in. Limits us to 3.5kw but being honest don't have a high household load so should not be a problem

IronGiant

If there's a powercut of unknown length I'd imagine you'd be turning anything not essential off, rather than trying to impress the neighbours by turning all your lights on and firing up the hot tub :)

PRESSTOG

If there's a powercut of unknown length I'd imagine you'd be turning anything not essential off, rather than trying to impress the neighbours by turning all your lights on and firing up the hot tub :)

We have a few recently whee one side of street went off for a day and other side not affected. Bit of a wartime spirit with extension leads running from one side of street to other to keep each other going

If we have a streetwise outage I can see my car becoming the Nespresso Dispense point fpr the street :)

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
the fast charging speed 0-80% in 17mins
Are they actually claiming this? Don't see how this is possible at all.

My ID3 has 125kW capability but the specific conditions to actually get that are quite complex and reduce sharpish.

Wouldn't this require a rate of about 200kW average throughout the charge?

Edit, this site seems to think no, but not far off it.

PS it's a stunning car. Blows the Ioniq 5 out of the water IMO. I'd love one but I only got my 77kWh ID3 in August so it'll be 2024 before I change.

Congrats on the new wheels.

Last edited:

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
EV database say 10-80% in 17 mins, it has a peak charge rate of 233 kW

PRESSTOG

Are they actually claiming this? Don't see how this is possible at all.

My ID3 has 125kW capability but the specific conditions to actually get that are quite complex and reduce sharpish.

Wouldn't this require a rate of about 200kW average throughout the charge?

Edit, this site seems to think no, but not far off it.

PS it's a stunning car. Blows the Ioniq 5 out of the water IMO. I'd love one but I only got my 77kWh ID3 in August so it'll be 2024 before I change.

Congrats on the new wheels.

Yes its 230kw charge from 0-55% then 180kw to 70% then 77kw to 90%.. Have tested it myself and as long as the battery is warm enough (This is the biggie) then it meets the speeds claimed.

The 800v battery system in it is brilliant, even on a 50kw polar charger it pegs the charger at full 50kw form 0% to 90% even if the battery is 5c. On a 150kw charger it pegs it at 140kw form 0-70% as long as the battery is 15c.

On a 350kw charger its best but again temps are critical

Getting the battery to the required temps is the thing
Battery must be 5c to get 70kw
Battery must be 10c to get 100kw
Battery must be 15c to get 180kw
Battery must be 20c to get 200kw
Battery must be 25c to get 230kw

So with no preheating of the battery on the way to a charger the only issue is getting the battery warm enough in cold weather to charge at full speed.

And thanks to Kia including Ionity 350kw charging at 25p a kw its almost viable to pay for ultra fast rapid charging now.

Last edited:

raymondo77

So with no preheating of the battery on the way to a charger the only issue is getting the battery warm enough in cold weather to charge at full speed.

Over on the Ioniq 5 forums someone posted an article where Hyundai Norway have confirmed an update is coming that will enable pre-heating when a charger is selected in the sat nav. Due some time next year.

So if your EV6 has the heat pump, I would imagine it'll roll out on the Kia side as well.

Here's the original article (you'll probably need to translate): Ioniq 5 får etterlengtet nyhet

Ideally they would also add a button for those who use Android Auto/Apple Carplay for navigation, but it's better than the current situation.

ashenfie

Thats the best part of 1000amp

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom