Time for EV Number 8 !!!

PRESSTOG

Well its EV number 8 (Since 2015)

No1 BMW i3 Rex (15) Traded in
No2 BMW i3 BEV (65) Traded in
No3 Renault Zoe 41kw (17) Traded in
No4 Hyundai Kona 64kw (68) Failed at 18 Months 70k miles Swapped by Hyundai to
No5 Hyundai Kona 64kw (70) Traded in for Tesla (Big Mistake!)
No6 Telsa Model 3 SR+ (70) Traded in after just 5 months Hated it..
No7 Hyundai Kona 64kw (70) Failed at 5 months 21k miles Refunded by Hyundal

Total EV Miles covered so far 260k since 2015.

Time for No8. Kia EV6 77kw RWD

Looking forward to this one, the fast charging speed 0-80% in 17mins, and being a bigger car that others we have had recently. Only downside to that is parking it in Westminster, P&D Bays are tiny,

After having 2 Konas fail in 2 years, first lasted 18months then had a failed cooling system they could not fix so swapped us into a new car, then the Tesla disaster, Mrs hated it with a passion and I was not a fan, then onto the 3rd Kona which popped its clogs while on a rapid charger in Aug2021. It went away for a new battery never to be seen again, and eventually after some stressful negotiations and horrible service from Hyundai Head Office eventually got it refunded.

Would have bought the Hyundai Ioniq5 but the poor HO service tainted us against that, so with the current shortage of new cars and long delays managed to find a Kia EV6 available for immediate delivery.

Hoping this will be good for at least a year or 18 months till new car deals hopefully start to settle back down.

So off we go on our 50k a year EV adventure again.

260544050_10223504174607500_6075210778397708894_n.jpeg

Last edited:

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Wow that's a lot of EVs and I love the look of the EV6.
We're just sorting our second EV, an MG ZS EV Long Range to go with our Jag I-Pace, but would have much prefered to have gone for an EV6, but too much +£250 P/M extra, maybe when the other car goes back..

PRESSTOG

Wow that's a lot of EVs and I love the look of the EV6.
We're just sorting our second EV, an MG ZS EV Long Range to go with our Jag I-Pace, but would have much prefered to have gone for an EV6, but too much +£250 P/M extra, maybe when the other car goes back..

We were going to get the new LR MG ZS. As it looks a really good car value to range etc

Just this EV6 popped up available now and fell in exactly with the refund from Hyundai and the need to return the loan car.

But will be watching the MG with interest

IronGiant

scurries off to look at the LR MG :)

Edit: 273 miles range is that right?

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
The wife is doing it through her SalSac scheme at work, but half of it was also to do with how quick we could get and as you say it does represent gvfm

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member

PRESSTOG

First rapid charge on the EV6

Didn't find a high speed charger only a janky old 50k unit

But even that speed was amazing. Plugged I. At 15% and it Pegged the charger at 50kw output all the way up to 90% then 40k upto 95%. Came off at that point

Even usi g 50kw rapids are going to make our days quicker with those speeds.

IMG_20211123_173433.jpg

neilball

With high speed chargers still being thin on the ground the EV6 still manages to impress with its charging curve. Pulling 50kW still when reaching 90% is amazing when compared to the charge tapering applied by most other EVs. This new platform will be on my radar when I’m ready to move on from my e-Niro.

D

Deleted member 323322

8 cars in 6yrs, must be really good for the old climate change crap.
Still not convinced one bit battery cars are the future

PRESSTOG

8 cars in 6yrs, must be really good for the old climate change crap.
Still not convinced one bit battery cars are the future

It's not like thry get thrown away it's only by high mileage users turning over cars into the used market that the supply will increase down the used chain

260k miles of electric has to better better than diesel

Last edited:

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Ah, seen your posts about this elsewhere :)

I'm having to wait until March for my EV6 but it's nice seeing people with them on the road already :thumbsup:

PRESSTOG

Ah, seen your posts about this elsewhere :)

I'm having to wait until March for my EV6 but it's nice seeing people with them on the road already :thumbsup:

So far its been brilliant, was odd buying without even seeing one, but was sort of desperate as needed a car in less than a week and there is not much out there, so to stumble over this in stock and ready to go was a god send.

Will see how it goes going forward, but grateful to have the Ionity Kia package now for a year with 25p Ionity Charging, as they are about the cheapest rapid chargers out there for us now at that price.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Do you use Apple CarPlay at all? I'd like to see it in action but never come across any photos or videos of it.

PRESSTOG

Do you use Apple CarPlay at all? I'd like to see it in action but never come across any photos or videos of it.

Vicky Does I use Android Auto.

Will Pop out and take a few photos of it on screen tomorrow when the snow has stopped for you.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I use it on my current hire car, a Pug e208, I like it. I was just wondering how much of the screen and what sort of layout it gets on the larger EV6 screen but never seem to come across any pictures or videos of it.

ashenfie

I use all the time as I like the Absolute radio app and general hand free operation. A satnav and text system you can talk too and it get you location and messages correct nearly every time

PRESSTOG

@Desmo Here you go,

In the EV6 you can use the whole of the Centre Screen

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

Or Reserve 1/3 of the Centre Screen for Car Apps and have Carplay on the other 2/3

IMG_1311.JPG

It plays well with Google Maps Plugshare etc.

IMG_1312.JPG

IMG_1305.JPG

IMG_1304.JPG

In the Kona you needed to run it in the 2/3 1/3 mode as it was the only way to see battery percent, in the EV6 battery is also on the dash screen so easier to use whole screen forCarplay

IMG_1313.JPG

Personally think its a very good implementation

Desmo

Distinguished Member
That's magic, really appreciate the effort. Good that it uses the whole screen, looks a really neat implementation.

PRESSTOG

That's magic, really appreciate the effort. Good that it uses the whole screen, looks a really neat implementation.
No problem at all, I had forgotten to set her phone up for the new car, so at least it reminded me I needed to do it. Nothing worse than having start a long journey and realise its not set up.

The EV6 is also well specced for USBs.

1xC and 1xA on the dash under heater controls
1xC in the glovebox
1x12v and 1xC in the centre console,, and 1xC on the side of each front seat for rear passengers
1x240v 3pin under rear seat for Mains Equipment full 16amp 3.5Kw
1x240v 3.5 Kw via outside charging socket
1x12v in Boot

So making use of the 77kw usable battery should be no issue.

PRESSTOG

It was brass Monkeys in the Garage this morning while trying to sort the place out, but with a 3Kw electric heater plugged into car it was toasty in there in no time..

259571766_451232889703745_746408560711872557_n.jpeg

PRESSTOG

Wow!! what a good idea.

I am in the process of getting a sparky to put an external Commando socket on the side of the house wired back to the Consumer Unit, so basically we can power the house from the car in case of power cut or even use it as part time battery storage when its at home

leedebs

@Desmo Here you go,

In the EV6 you can use the whole of the Centre Screen

View attachment 1610769
View attachment 1610770

Or Reserve 1/3 of the Centre Screen for Car Apps and have Carplay on the other 2/3

View attachment 1610772

It plays well with Google Maps Plugshare etc.

View attachment 1610773

View attachment 1610774

View attachment 1610775

In the Kona you needed to run it in the 2/3 1/3 mode as it was the only way to see battery percent, in the EV6 battery is also on the dash screen so easier to use whole screen forCarplay

View attachment 1610777

Personally think its a very good implementation
nice what map view/setting is that?

ashenfie

I am in the process of getting a sparky to put an external Commando socket on the side of the house wired back to the Consumer Unit, so basically we can power the house from the car in case of power cut or even use it as part time battery storage when its at home
You need a bit more than commando socket, else you will be powering the hole street.:(

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand