1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for bed homer & co....

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Family Guy, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was a time when I would cheer at the prospect of a new episode of The Simpson....not anymor I'm afraid. I've only seen the first of Sundays 2 new episodes (got the other on Sky+) and to be honest, it bored me to tears. It's not only this episode. I think the Simpsons has been going rapidly downhill for the last 2 years. I have been in tears of laughter in the past at Homer's antics but now he puts me to sleep. No more Mr Plow, No more Submarine commander. Just plain boredom.

Message to Matt Groenig.....Give the guys a decent send off now with what dignity they have left - please.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    .....thought it was just me.
    I remember when I first had Sky ( analogue ) The Simpsons were new and different, I was hooked.
    I keep watching but it's going through the motions, it's always on in the pub on the big screen, no-one pays the slightest heed.
    Homer, eat my shorts ( doh ! ).

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm even worse........i basically never bother watching the simpsons at all

ad

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unlike any other show, I'll usually only watch re-runs of the Simpsons. The newer seasons have been awful, so if one comes on that I haven't seen, I turn the channel. It saves me 30 minutes of staring blankly at the screen, and shaking my head in disbelief.

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :( Sad isn't it. 4 years ago, I proudly annonced to a packed pub on my best mates stag night that Homer Simpson was my Mentor! If I did that today, Id get laughed of the whatever I was standing on!!

6. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I seem to remember hearing not long ago that they were planning on putting it to bed because they couldn't come up with new and original story lines.

The Simpsons is wonderful and I can watch reruns again and again (thanks to BBC2), i'd rather they just took a break for a while rather than announce they will never make another again. That leaves them the option of doing holiday specials or coming back in a few years, it'd be a shame to put a lid on that family.

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I watch The Simpsons most nights at 7pm on Sky because there isn't anything else on ANY channel that I would rather watch (even tho' I am a bit tired of re-runs too). What do you guys watch at 7pm instead?

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,960
    i'm still at work!!

9. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry, I'm gonna go against opinion here and say I still love new Simpsons. It's maybe not as good as Futurama, but it's still one of the best programmes on TV and the new series is great.

10. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i think he should bin futurama and get back to the simpsons quite frankly futurama is a 3rd rate simpsons family guy is better than futurama any way.

11. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You are about 6 months behind the times with that one SILVERBACK! :D (Futurama has already been cancelled).

I agree about the Simpsons and have posted about it here before. What made the Simpsons great in its prime was the satirical humour, but now it is just silly (and quite often desperate). The lowest of the low for me was last year’s episode with the Racehorse and the munchkin jockeys – cringe worthy!
    I guess the problem is that they have done everything; they have done all the real life simple satirical family/community/political stories, now all that is left is extreme stuff which just doesn’t work.
    The other problem now is the timescale – so many of their stories refer back to when Homer was young (in the 1970s), or when Bart was younger (in the 80s) but now that the series has been running for over a decade it doesn’t make sense anymore. It all seems somewhat confused.

I agree with the idea that maybe they should take a break, and just do the occasional special episode rather than desperately trying to churn a new one out every couple of weeks!

12. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I thought Futurama was a much better show than the recent seasons of Simpsons, especially where writing was concerned.

The people who think the Simpsons is trash now, just wait until we see them on the big screen. Yes, Matt Groenig has signed on to do 3 full-length Simpsons movies. Expect tons of celebrities, and about 3 laughs in the trilogy. (unless they bring in a new writing team)

I've always graded Futurama, Simpsons, and Family Guy on a scale, as I liked all 3. Futurama had some really great stories, and sometimes sacrificed comedy for the storyline. (much like the first few Simpsons season) Family Guy, on the other hand, only had a story to feed the jokes. In the middle of the two was the Simpsons, which did a great job of playing interesting stories against very funny gags.

But, as Futurama got better, the Simpsons got worse. (IMHO)

As for 7PM, I'm usually trolling through last night's tape of the Adult Channel while I wait for something good to come on. :eek: (it broadcasts until 5:30 now!)

13. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I love Futurama - can't wait for the season two dvd boxset - I think it is a tragedy that the show was cancelled. :(

14. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is shocking news to me. Bender was the best character ever. Period.

[​IMG]

R.I.P.

15. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually thought that Sunday's new epdisode with the screamapilla was a turn to a return to form. Fingers crossed.

17. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Agreed. It was the best 'new' episode in a while. There is hope! :)