Time for an upgrade...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HouseofMu, Nov 30, 2001.

1. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

I've an ageing (thomson) player that I'd like to upgrade and was hoping the forum might help with some advice.

My min spec was:
    Great picture :)
    2 scarts, both rgb enabled (pass-though).
    No decoders.
    Coaxial o/p
    Multi-region (by hack or chip)
    Not bothered about CD replay quality.
    I'm not interested in how it looks.
    budget approx £400

My short list consists of:

Pioneer 545 , best Price: £229 multiregion, techntonics. (eek! I know I've read the threads, know anywhere else that can compete?).

Marantz 4100OSE, best price: £348 RicherSounds (handset hacked), or £380 HomeCinemaHeaven (chipped) Does this player really need to be chipped, I've read some threads stating the Handset hack makes it MR permanently?

Both players have v.favourable reviews/opinions, but has anybody had chance to compare the 2 in terms of picture quality.?

Is the extra cost of the Marantz just in CD reply quality, as if there no difference in picture, I'll save some cash and get the Pioneer.

As another alternative I was thinking of picking up an older Pioneer 737, which can be had (new) for £425. Can this still outperform those on my shortlist or would I be better going for a current generation player?

Thanks.

n.