Time for an upgrade

Nope, Nex6 (poorly implemented), NEX6000, NEX5100, XT1, em1 all also have phase detect on the sensor.
Does this mean C-AF will be better then?

Does this mean C-AF will be better then?

Yes. But only over the phase detect pixels up to okayish light in very low light they default to contrast for better accuracy. The phase pixels are center spread. Fuji has 9 points.

I was asked to take a pic of my colleague for their website yesterday so I took both my cameras, the Sony A77II with 16-50mm f2.8 and Olympus OMD EM10 with 45mm f1.8 and I have to say I think the images look better from the Olly, which I'm slightly upset about. OK so I'm comparing a zoom against a prime, but the Sony combo is £1300 vs £700 of the Olly. I guess using my 50mm prime on the Sony would've been a better comparison but I didn't have it with me :rolleyes:

Focal length is probably what does it mate, 90mm looks better than 75mm - 150mm will look better than 90mm etc for portraits! I used to be addicted to 135mm regardless to how awkward it could be!! I.e I want the Oly 75mmF1.8!!

Focal length is probably what does it mate, 90mm looks better than 75mm - 150mm will look better than 90mm etc for portraits! I used to be addicted to 135mm regardless to how awkward it could be!! I.e I want the Oly 75mmF1.8!!
I thought about that but he overall picture looked better, more detail and sharper. However, I did more of a controlled test last night using the Olly with 45mm, and Sony with 16-50mm and 50mm f1.8 as I realised the 'model' filled up more of the frame and so would explain the extra detail.

I did shoot in jpeg also this time and jpegs from the Olly are better than the Sony overall, although I prefer the colours of the Sony, the Olly was slightly warmer in comparison but also a bit more magenta too. When I processed the RAWs the Sony came out on top this time imo, but only just and I had to go back and forth several times to make my mind up. Detail and sharpness was about on par and it was again the colour of the Sony that swung me. I had to tweak the magenta and WB on the Olly a touch to get it to my liking. There was no discernible difference between the 50mm f1.8 and 16-50mm f2.8 which I guess either means the 50mm prime is not great, or the 16-50mm is very good as many people say. I think it's the latter ;)

Getting right into it now mate!! Good stuff, I remember when you thought a zoom was more important than the sensor or glass :D Get the CZ85mmF1.4 then your Sony will start dazzling!!

Getting right into it now mate!! Good stuff, I remember when you thought a zoom was more important than the sensor or glass :D Get the CZ85mmF1.4 then your Sony will start dazzling!!
I learn eventually :laugh: In my defence I only thought it was more important for what I wanted, but then I got that wrong too
clear.png

That is one of several lenses on my shortlist tbh, but I think it will be a while before I spend any more money on camera equipment :( I think the 70-300G will be next, but I also want the 85mm, 135mm and 70-200G. Possibly even the 70-400G. I think I'll be Jim's age before I get that lot though :devil:

Remember all my kind words when you win the Lottery Snerks ;)

I learn eventually :laugh: In my defence I only thought it was more important for what I wanted, but then I got that wrong too
clear.png

That is one of several lenses on my shortlist tbh, but I think it will be a while before I spend any more money on camera equipment :( I think the 70-300G will be next, but I also want the 85mm, 135mm and 70-200G. Possibly even the 70-400G. I think I'll be Jim's age before I get that lot though :devil:

Save a few quid and get the Minolta or Sigma. Then you wont have to wait as long. +- £450 used.

Save a few quid and get the Minolta or Sigma. Then you wont have to wait as long. +- £450 used.
Which one are you referring to as I listed a few?

Oops, 85 1.4 mate. Also, Sigma 70-200 OS is very good for the money.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom