Time for an upgrade

http://www.tomgrill.com/A1.jpg

http://www.tomgrill.com/A2.jpg

when I view them at 100%, looking at the face - by comparison the Fuji photo looks oof.

pixel peeping ruins lives people..
I agree, the Nikon is considerably sharper and more detailed to me. The Fuji looks like it heavily processes its jpegs too looking at this. In that pic it looks as though it's had skin smoothing applied in PP (which I know it hasn't), look at the lines around the eyes.

Watch out for DPR though, although Fuji images look decent the studio comparison is done using ACR or LR conversions. Most people who use Fuji know that there are far better RAW options out there that handle Fuji files (much) better in terms of fine detail. Adobes not really putting the effort in to maximise x trans RAWs properly. I posted a link a little while back and it was pretty much night and day difference between RAW editors and it surprised a few here.

I just read this in a X-T1 review "For raw processing ACR 8.4 (and LR 5.4) are much improved over older versions", so hopefully that's been fixed in LR since the comparison info in the link you posted was gathered.

I just read this in a X-T1 review "For raw processing ACR 8.4 (and LR 5.4) are much improved over older versions", so hopefully that's been fixed in LR since the comparison info in the link you posted was gathered.

I have the 35 and 56, LR processing has improved, not dramatically, fine detail is still smudged.

Lets not forget that its a 36MP FF sensor vs a 16MP APSC.

C is the best example out of that set.

Its also the 85 1.4G vs a 'decent' but not great Zeiss lens. As said the 56 wouldve been a better test.

This is the trouble with these comparisons, they're never a completely fair comparison, and as Twist points out one's half the price of the other.

P.S. As you can see, Twist has a thing for Fuji, I'm starting to think he's affiliated with them in some way :devil: ;)

(Joking. Twist has had about every camera on the planet so should be a good judge on what the camera's capable of)

This thread's great, Steve started off wanting a compact due to size and convenience, but is now looking at one of the larger CSC's. Maybe by tomorrow would could have convinced him to get a FF DSLR :devil: ;) :p

This thread's great, Steve started off wanting a compact due to size and convenience, but is now looking at one of the larger CSC's. Maybe by tomorrow would could have convinced him to get a FF DSLR :devil: ;) :p

Lol, this place is great.

Thanks twist
the pic you took with the 56mm @ F1.2... that didn't use Lightroom, and it's not the RAW file, right?
Just wasn't too sure which point you are highlighting here? Just that the detail is not spot on at 100% ?

I can't see the EXIF data, so not sure what other settings you had (ISO?)

Thanks twist
the pic you took with the 56mm @ F1.2... that didn't use Lightroom, and it's not the RAW file, right?
Just wasn't too sure which point you are highlighting here? Just that the detail is not spot on at 100% ?

I can't see the EXIF data, so not sure what other settings you had (ISO?)

I took it as jpg, into LR, no adjustments, export.

Yes, I see detail issues in the images like others so I posted a half decent size from the XT1 and 56 for others to check. Those halftones are freaking tiny so if my lens can pick them up at F1.2 and MFD I hardly think Ill have issues with not having enough detail from a Fuji file.

56/1.2/200

100% lo-res screen grab crop from the same file. Not the greatest quality file but there you go.

14774689070_c8c0f0fcfc_o.jpg

This is the trouble with these comparisons, they're never a completely fair comparison, and as Twist points out one's half the price of the other.

P.S. As you can see, Twist has a thing for Fuji, I'm starting to think he's affiliated with them in some way :devil: ;)

(Joking. Twist has had about every camera on the planet so should be a good judge on what the camera's capable of)

I wish mate, im looking at getting another lens. Be nice if fuji helped out.

Like i said the bigger the sensor generally the better performance, thats the way it is, we can all go overboard on our hobby tbh, so just get the best that you can afford. Fact is im not saying the xt1 sensor is better than a d810, it isnt, but also weigh up the cost, size and weight of that setup vs performance difference for your needs not printing at billboard size.

So Steve I think the only way you're going to get the IQ you want is either with the Canon 5D3 and 200mm f2, or Nikon D810 with 200mm f2 :devil:

So Steve I think the only way you're going to get the IQ you want is either with the Canon 5D3 and 200mm f2, or Nikon D810 with 200mm f2 :devil:

I think a blad or phase1.

Saw a hasselblad in the window of the LCE, 2nd hand only about £1700... with lens - super cheap that, surely an old one at that price

Just phoned them up, it's the H1 with 80mm lens and priced at £1800 :)

Saw a hasselblad in the window of the LCE, 2nd hand only about £1700... with lens - super cheap that, surely an old one at that price

Yes, body only H5D is like 30 odd grand +. Look at the H5D-60 or 200 :eek:

Last edited:

HA!! you guys are the living end!! :eek:

My current line of thinking is... I want the X-T1, but I also want the excellent Fuji x-mount prime lens(es), so even if I only consider 1 lens to start off with, the budget has pretty much doubled since a couple of days ago!!
Which means unless I can find a good respectable retailer offering interest-free credit, then it goes on hold for a while so I can save some (!) pennies!!

Unfortunately I've got a lot to pay out for the rest of this year, and already got a fair bit of debt on the go, so I'll have to sit down and look at the finances, yawn, bore, etc!!

In the meanwhile, there's a branch of London Camera Exchange in Colchester, so I'll pop up there at some point to have a feel/play of the thing.

So yeah...thanks for that, chaps! ;)
(no really... I think it's pointless me going the 'high-end compact' route, based on my ultimate photographic goals... so I might as well take it to the next level, and start learning my craft properly! :D)

Good choice, great camera with lots of control. The lenses feel really nice quality too. What swung you to the Fuji, the APS sensor?

I was asked to take a pic of my colleague for their website yesterday so I took both my cameras, the Sony A77II with 16-50mm f2.8 and Olympus OMD EM10 with 45mm f1.8 and I have to say I think the images look better from the Olly, which I'm slightly upset about. OK so I'm comparing a zoom against a prime, but the Sony combo is £1300 vs £700 of the Olly. I guess using my 50mm prime on the Sony would've been a better comparison but I didn't have it with me :rolleyes:

Good choice, great camera with lots of control. The lenses feel really nice quality too. What swung you to the Fuji, the APS sensor?

Yeah, without wanting to go full-DSLR-bulk, it's the sensor size/quality & their prime lenses. Size-wise, the whole set-up seems to strike the best balance between quality and bulkiness, for me.
And the prime lenses get nothing but praise, from what I've been reading.
Plus all the positive reviews I've read, plus the EVF. And I wanted phase detection AF and no AA filter...check!
And all of its other capabiliities... so, pretty much everything about it! :)

And the look of it is a factor for me too (albeit a smaller one than 'functionality'), and I think the Fuji-X range are all beautiful-looking cameras. It's one of the things that instantly struck me when I came across the X100S.

Interesting, I thought all mirrorless were contrast detect not phase detect?

Fuji's do look good :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom