Time for an upgrade

Yeah I love the look of the Fuji X cameras, with APC-S sensors an' all... just that there don't seem to be much choice in the lens dept.! a few primes and just 3 zooms in the Fuji X mount range.

Anyone know where these lenses rate, in comparison with the high quality stuff?!

Fuji have enough lenses IMO, they cater for most uses besides things like birding and possibly native lens macro. They make some of the best lenses available both for build quality and optics (Ive had a lot to compare against). They are certainly not even mid range. Also add the Zeiss and Samyang lenses (not listed) and you would be well covered.

10-24mm
12mm
14mm
16mm (coming soon)
16-50mm
16-55mm (coming soon)
18-55mm
18-135mm
18mm
23mm
27mm
35mm
50-140mm (coming soon)
50-230mm
55-200mm
56mm
60mm
90mm (coming soon)
Super telephoto (coming soon) 300mm+?

Lets put it this way, I wouldn't have dumped my entire Nikon full frame setup if Fuji wasn't capable.

Tell us how you cry yourself to sleep every night

Actually, I don't. Ive done the switch so many times I understand the benefits of most systems and the final results. FF is a pita to carry and up to ISO6400 my Fuji is just as good but a ton smaller, lighter and doesnt make me look like a pap.

I did a comparison over on TP, my Fuji kit is 1,45kg without accessories vs Nikon 3kg without even heavier accessories and I can fit 2 1/2 of my Fuji setups into my Nikon setup bag with equivalent fast primes. Both the bags are a good fit for each setup so its a good comparison.

More importantly I enjoy using my Fuji more and take it with me a lot more so the IQ is excellent and I get more pics out of it so don't miss moments.

Thanks mate, I think you've just saved me a lot of fannying about! Though, probably like you, I still like to learn this stuff anyway. So I'll continue to read on, but just won't make it such a critical factor when deciding which cameras to look at.

Yeah I love the look of the Fuji X cameras, with APC-S sensors an' all... just that there don't seem to be much choice in the lens dept.! a few primes and just 3 zooms in the Fuji X mount range.
Anyone know where these lenses rate, in comparison with the high quality stuff?!

Will do, thanks. I'll post them on here once I've whittled it down!
Fuji's are really nice and IQ is amongst the best, but just remember if you go APS-C CSC the overall package can be significantly larger than m4/3. That being said, something like the Fuji X-T1 is aimed at something like the Em-1 which is itself getting pretty large again.

Actually, I don't. Ive done the switch so many times I understand the benefits of most systems and the final results. FF is a pita to carry and up to ISO6400 my Fuji is just as good but a ton smaller, lighter and doesnt make me look like a pap.

I did a comparison over on TP, my Fuji kit is 1,45kg without accessories vs Nikon 3kg without even heavier accessories and I can fit 2 1/2 of my Fuji setups into my Nikon setup bag with equivalent fast primes. Both the bags are a good fit for each setup so its a good comparison.

More importantly I enjoy using my Fuji more and take it with me a lot more so the IQ is excellent and I get more pics out of it so don't miss moments.

I don't you s'pose you did any direct pic comparison shots between the Fuji and the FF set-ups before you got rid of the FF, did you?

This is what I would love to see!! same shot, same camera settings and ('equivalent' length) lenses, where the lens quality's where considered in the same area, and see what we get!!

I have some shots with the Olympus EM-1 75mm 1.8 (150 3.0) versus 5DM3 + 135mm f2, not what you asked for - but just saying :) - not direct comparison either. Just street photos at different times- similar processing

ricoh now up for sale!

Fuji's are really nice and IQ is amongst the best, but just remember if you go APS-C CSC the overall package can be significantly larger than m4/3. That being said, something like the Fuji X-T1 is aimed at something like the Em-1 which is itself getting pretty large again.

These are a better comparison tbh…

Compact Camera Meter

Fuji's are really nice and IQ is amongst the best, but just remember if you go APS-C CSC the overall package can be significantly larger than m4/3.

larger in terms of equipment size and weight, right?

That being said, something like the Fuji X-T1 is aimed at something like the Em-1 which is itself getting pretty large again.

I don't understand this sentence :blush:

I don't you s'pose you did any direct pic comparison shots between the Fuji and the FF set-ups before you got rid of the FF, did you?

This is what I would love to see!! same shot, same camera settings and ('equivalent' length) lenses, where the lens quality's where considered in the same area, and see what we get!!

No, sorry, I used alongside but never at the exact same time to do tests, my LR cat 'tells' me everything I need to know with regards IQ.

All things equal a larger sensor will always offer better IQ (similar generations). FF vs Fuji Xtrans up to ISO 6400 is a lot closer though.

Ive seen fantastic images from all of the mainstream sensor sizes, don't get hung up. Look at camera features and lenses you want and more importantly budget!

I had a quick go at this when I was looking at the Fuji X-M1 I won as a prize vs. the Olympus E-PL5 I already had. It's wildly unscientific and I came to the conclusion that they were both great cameras so I stuck with the one I knew best and had the most extras for.
Olympus E-PL5 vs. FujiFilm X-M1 side by side | AVForums

I had a quick go at this when I was looking at the Fuji X-M1 I won as a prize vs. the Olympus E-PL5 I already had. It's wildly unscientific and I came to the conclusion that they were both great cameras so I stuck with the one I knew best and had the most extras for.
Olympus E-PL5 vs. FujiFilm X-M1 side by side | AVForums

They are both great but to my eyes the Fuji images are better. Sharper, more accurate colours, better dynamic range. Nothing wrong with the Oly though, I liked my e-pl5. You made a good choice based on your requirements.

Last edited:
larger in terms of equipment size and weight, right?

I don't understand this sentence :blush:
It's OK, I don't tend to make a lot of sense. What I was meaning was that with M4/3 I've only really talked about the EM10 as that's what I've had, and the X-T1 is both physically a bigger camera and most lenses are also bigger, mainly due to them having to work with an APS sensor. However, the X-T1 is more aimed at the extreme enthusiast and some would say Pro market, and so to do a fair comparison with M4/3 you would probably have to compare it to the EM-1 and the EM-1 is quite large for a CSC.

Does this make any more sense, or is it still waffle? :laugh:

But as I have said, and now Twist has said, don't get too hung up on it. The overall feel of the camera is far more important. With 2 systems now (DSLR and CSC) I'd gone down to the store to buy a specific camera (Nikon D7100 and Fuji X-T1) and come away with 2 different ones (Sony A77 and Olly EM10) due to my preference for their ergonomics and dial/button placement.

@SteveKelly, this site's quite good if you want to pixel peep, although the range of cameras hasn't been updated for some time.

Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

I did have another somewhere but I've lost the link, I'll see if I can dig it out. Had some good test charts with some more up to date cameras.

Watch out for DPR though, although Fuji images look decent the studio comparison is done using ACR or LR conversions. Most people who use Fuji know that there are far better RAW options out there that handle Fuji files (much) better in terms of fine detail. Adobes not really putting the effort in to maximise x trans RAWs properly. I posted a link a little while back and it was pretty much night and day difference between RAW editors and it surprised a few here.

Watch out for DPR though, although Fuji images look decent the studio comparison is done using ACR or LR conversions. Most people who use Fuji know that there are far better RAW options out there that handle Fuji files (much) better in terms of fine detail. Adobes not really putting the effort in to maximise x trans RAWs properly. I posted a link a little while back and it was pretty much night and day difference between RAW editors and it surprised a few here.

What's DPR?
Ah, that's interesting, as I have LR5 + Nik collection. So are you saying the results of post-processing the Fuji raw files will be sub-par compared to using other raw editing software?
Cos software is one thing I don't want to be spending out on, in both time and money, cos I've been doing a lot of LR tutorials, and really like it, so wouldn't be keen on ditching that!

How about this for a comparison

D810 (The best FF sensor available!) vs XT1 (bear in mind the Zeiss isn't even as good as the Fuji 56mm!)

Best case is C1 vs C2 as theres no movement in the image and the light hits the subject in the same places.

About Photography: Fuji X-T1 and Nikon D810 -- how do they compare?

Nice!
Yeah I prefer the XT1 images I think, in terms of colour/shadows... if only it had the D810's DOF.
Like the guy who commented on the bottom, would've preferred to see it with a more similar spec'd lens.

So do you think with the Fuji 56mm F1.2 lens you can achieve same/similar levels of DOF?... I assume so!

It's OK, I don't tend to make a lot of sense. What I was meaning was that with M4/3 I've only really talked about the EM10 as that's what I've had, and the X-T1 is both physically a bigger camera and most lenses are also bigger, mainly due to them having to work with an APS sensor. However, the X-T1 is more aimed at the extreme enthusiast and some would say Pro market, and so to do a fair comparison with M4/3 you would probably have to compare it to the EM-1 and the EM-1 is quite large for a CSC.

Got it! cheers :)

Holy Moly...the aforementioned Fuji 56mm F1.2 lens is £900! ... I guess this is where one starts to pay for wanting the best IQ!
Still, it's a hobby where you can build up the equipment over time.
Jeez, so much research to do!

http://www.tomgrill.com/A1.jpg

http://www.tomgrill.com/A2.jpg

when I view them at 100%, looking at the face - by comparison the Fuji photo looks oof.

pixel peeping ruins lives people..

Yeah, now that you point it out, one can't argue with that. Same on C1/C2.
So is that purely down to sensor size/pixel count?
Or would/could that have anything to do with the lens? (e.g. not being as good quality) or any other factor(s)?

Holy Moly...the aforementioned Fuji 56mm F1.2 lens is £900! ... I guess this is where one starts to pay for wanting the best IQ!
Still, it's a hobby where you can build up the equipment over time.
Jeez, so much research to do!
Yep, that's the trouble it starts to get very expensive very quickly ;)

Out of interest does the Fuji f1.2 have AF or is it MF only?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom