Time for an upgrade- opinions please

BionicYeti

Standard Member
Hi folks,

Please cast your eyes over the below spec and let me know what I missed where it comes to value for money.

The computer will be used for everything including playing the latest games as my current set-up has finally started to drop its fps. Not bad for a 4 year old build though :smashin:

I haven't included a hdd, optical drive in the above as I already have these sorted. Though looking into purchasing a SDD. Might wait for these to drop in price and raise in performance.

Looking at the above could my money be spent more wisely ? What about the GPU ? Have always been an Nvidia user but have noticed times are / have changed.

Any opinions as to where to purchase the above ? Would like to order from one company but note this may not get me the best deal.

Many thanks,

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Looking at the above could my money be spent more wisely ? What about the GPU ? Have always been an Nvidia user but have noticed times are / have changed.
nVidia have had a rough patch recently but with the GTX 460 and similar they seem to have regained competitiveness.

I don't think I'd buy a low end Socket 1366 system with only one graphics card when Intel's new generation of processors is so close (5th January launch), while they may well be more expensive for the same performance on most of the chips the i7-950 replacements are likely to be cheaper as you won't need to use an expensive X58 motherboard.

They will only have 1-2 PCI-E 16x slots though so if you're planning to add a couple more GTX 460s as the motherboard and huge power supply suggests they'll be no good and Intel's high end replacement (socket 2011) won't be coming until later in the year (and may well start with £400+ processors).

BionicYeti

Standard Member
Thank you fella's.

Going to wait till after Christmas before buying anything, but now I have the list I can keep my eye out for any real bargains.

I dont plan on going SLI however I like to have the option too. Is there a better valued MOBO for a single card set up but with alot of features ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom