• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Time For An Optoma Upgrade?

pixel8

Hi all
I have a UHD300x in a bright lounge with a 96"React screen. From lens to screen is about 10' 9" (129").
Whilst I mainly use the 300x for movies (4k/BR) I also like the 3D option (my HD25e had that) and as I also play CODMW lots, I'm now considering the UHD30.
Would it be a worthwhile upgrade with any noticeable change in picture quality, gaming response, input lag etc? I've also looked at the UHD 51 and UHD42 but both are priced significantly higher.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 433786

Hi all
I have a UHD300x in a bright lounge with a 96"React screen. From lens to screen is about 10' 9" (129").
Whilst I mainly use the 300x for movies (4k/BR) I also like the 3D option (my HD25e had that) and as I also play CODMW lots, I'm now considering the UHD30.
Would it be a worthwhile upgrade with any noticeable change in picture quality, gaming response, input lag etc? I've also looked at the UHD 51 and UHD42 but both are priced significantly higher.

Hi mate

depending on how You feel about potentially losing warranty then this could be worth a look

pixel8

Hi mate
depending on how You feel about potentially losing warranty then this could be worth a look
Hi and thanks :thumbsdow-So the UHD30 is the UHD300x upgrade then as it includes the gaming enhancement and the 300x is also known as the UHD50? Or is it also the 3D aspect you're pointing me towards?

D

Deleted member 433786

Hi and thanks :thumbsdow-So the UHD30 is the UHD300x upgrade then as it includes the gaming enhancement and the 300x is also known as the UHD50? Or is it also the 3D aspect you're pointing me towards?

Someone in the UK flashed the UHD300X with the UHD50 firmware which then unlocked 3D.

pixel8

Someone in the UK flashed the UHD300X with the UHD50 firmware which then unlocked 3D.
Ah got it thanks...I was gonna ask - The 3D part of these units - Does it only work via PC or do you get it straight out of the box so to speak...There's lots of mention of PC's? Seems quite technical tbh

D

Deleted member 433786

Ah got it thanks...I was gonna ask - The 3D part of these units - Does it only work via PC or do you get it straight out of the box so to speak...There's lots of mention of PC's? Seems quite technical tbh

Hi mate out of the box I believe it supports the PC version only but with this update it supports framepacked 3d from blurays, it was added with firmware c07.

It is possible that sending the uhd300x to optoma for an upgrade will achieve the same thing. From what I have read under the hood it is the same as the UHD50, this is something optoma do quite often, I recall back in the day updating my 131xe by using the HD25e firmware.

I will give this a go when the kids are back in school, Just hope I can find my old glasses :facepalm:

pixel8

Hi mate out of the box I believe it supports the PC version only but with this update it supports framepacked 3d from blurays, it was added with firmware c07.

It is possible that sending the uhd300x to optoma for an upgrade will achieve the same thing. From what I have read under the hood it is the same as the UHD50, this is something optoma do quite often, I recall back in the day updating my 131xe by using the HD25e firmware.

I will give this a go when the kids are back in school, Just hope I can find my old glasses :facepalm:
Give it a go...you mean do the FW upgrade?
My old HD25e did 3D well and i still have my glasses so less future expense. Regards "frame packed" - Does that just mean no PC? If i mess it up can i break my PJ?
Also regards gaming...My set up includes a middle man Yamaha AV receiver - Would that increase gaming lag - Is there any way to tell?
I've just read as well the uhd30 has no lens shift...might be an issue as i think i need that?!!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 433786

If i mess it up can i break my PJ?

Yes mate that is possible, If its something you don’t feel comfortable with then sending to optoma could be a better option but you have no guarantee what firmware they will send it back with

Give it a go...you mean do the FW upgrade?

Correct

"frame packed" - Does that just mean no PC?

Not sure tbh mate, 3D vision is something i never used. Here is the link where the optoma representative posted the update. Some asked regarding the 120hz mode so the answer may be a bit further in the thread

I wouldnt have thought a firmware upgrade would increase lag

I have missed 3D with movies so this is something I am looking forward to rectifying.

pixel8

Thanks for your answers - really appreciated.
Regards gaming lag, I was meaning my set up. I have the PS4Pro connected to the AV amp then to the PJ via fibre optic HDMI cable...would that slow the signal? ;)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom