• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Time for a up - grade !

wawr

After having my PANASONIC PT-AX100E projector for many years ( I had it when it was first released) back in 2008 it's now time for a up-grade my budget it £3000 ishhhhh
I must be honest and say I have thourley enjoyed every single minute it has given me !

I am looking towards the SONY VPL-HW55ES, which is within my budget, it ticks my boxes by the reviews I have read so far, it will be in a dedicated cinema room - bat cave ! - I have a panasonic 3D 55inch TV with about 30 3D movies & I am really looking forward to watching them on a 7 foot screen.
I would love some ideas from other forum members before I take the plunge & purchase the Sony if anyone has any surgestions on any other similar priced projectors -or if you already own the Sony 55 ES please let me know what you think, I also intend to run the OPPO 103D blu-ray player through it

Look forward to hearing from you :thumbsup:

kbfern

Distinguished Member

wawr

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, i will certainly be looking closely at your suggestion , again thank you for your help and advise.

Pecker

Distinguished Member

wawr

I just rang my local R.S. shop and this projector is special order only ! i need to pay for it then demo it ?? - that seems a bit odd to me, :facepalm: anyway I will continue to seek a demo elsewhere !! - thank you again for your help.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I see you are also considering the Oppo 103D which has the Darbee included (I have a stand alone darbee) and do find them a very good sharpening tool. The Sony's have reality Creation and whilst you can run the two together you may find RC good enough on it's own as it does a very decent job. This could save you a few more £££ as the 103 is again a cheaper model.

Any monies saved can be used in other parts of your upgrade, I see you are looking to use a 7ft screen would you consider upping this a bit as 100"+ diagonal is where IMV true home cinema starts. Obviously viewing distance dependent but this could be where you could spend some of the money saved.

What are your room conditions like, is it a normal lounge environment or dedicated room. If the room has ambient light from light coloured walls/large windows etc a Draper ReAct 2 screen would be worth looking at and these are around £1500. In ambient lit rooms these screens can transform the quality of image from washed out with a normal screen to a much more vibrant image with considerably higher contrast and improved black levels.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
It maybe special order as it is not yet released, I am sure you will be able to get a demo soon as I would be certain any pj seller will be having them in stock if they sell Sony pj's. They are going to be a good seller so I doubt they will be special order once they start coming through.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
I remember when the first JVCs appeared and Phil Hinton called them the best projector you could get for under £20,000.

Now we have a Sony which is, to say the least, in the same ballpark, for under £4,000...

...with the DI removed (which most turn off anyway( for under £2,000.

We really do live in a golden age.

Steve W

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I just took a look at your room on your earlier thread so you probably don't need that Draper screen by the looks of the colours in your room.

I would swap out the screen though for something better (if it's still that same screen) you don't need a glass bead screen as they tend to suffer from sparklies and the new pj's are brighter than your current machine so they probably would show up. It looks like a 4:3 screen from the look of your pics so a scope screen (2.35:1) or widescreen 16:9 would be a better choice if it's for watching movies. You could get a decent tab tensioned white 1.1/1.3 gain screen 110"/120" in your room for under £1k and it would look spectacular with the Sony.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I totally agree Steve, things have really moved on since my first pj about 12 years ago. I was gobsmacked when I got my first Sanyo Z1 back in 2002 and paid around £1300 at the time for a 480p machine. Then upgraded up to a Planar PD7010 720p pj around 2008 and that was a huge jump in quality and then 2010 got my current pj's (Optoma HD20/Epson TW3200) and although they are only budget end models they really do throw a superb picture all things considered.

Obviously they are not in the JVC/Sony class but still with a decent room and a darbee and most importantly a removable devore screen mask (no grey bars just a totally black framed image) I am very happy with the image quality my pj throws.Yes a truly golden age and like you said just a few years ago you would have paid £20k for an old CRT machine.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom