Question Time for a new TV

Thanks. It seems silly not to go 4k at this point. I dont have a year/newness preference. Quality/price concerns more a priority.

Still surviving on my donated 32" Samsung. Any worthy deals to look at today/tomorrow? I'm not seeing any enticing discounts on popular OLED or QLED models.

Still surviving on my donated 32" Samsung. Any worthy deals to look at today/tomorrow? I'm not seeing any enticing discounts on popular OLED or QLED models.

QLED is just Samsung's name for LCD so don't limit yourself to just Samsungs. You are unlikely to see any genuine deals until Black Friday onwards.

Thanks. Didn't know that about QLED, guess I thought it was another "type" of TV like OLED (sorry not tech savvy when it comes to TVs). There were several brands/models I was looking at, mentioned earlier in this thread but yes, the internet scuttlebutt is that Amazon Prime Day (and perhaps all the competing days?) are "discounted junk" (with a maybe a few hidden gems).

Only okay deal I saw in the US was the 65" X900H for £950. Given its drawbacks with HDR I think people made a mistake jumping for it. In the USA there are easily much better choices in the Vizio Quantum X, Hisense H9G and TCL R635, even the older R625.

Black Friday will be where the true discounts hit.

Do we like these q80 tvs? I feel like I remember those being well-liked. Looks like one cant really get a decent sized OLED for under $1400 even with a sale?
The Vizio OLED is the same price as the Q80T at best buy currently, good deals come to those that wait.

There's nothing wrong with the Q80T but its really their entry level FALD model in the USA, if you are putting any LCD up against an OLED it would have to be the Q90T or Q900T I think.

You should decide which tech you prefer first though, if you want an OLED hold your guns for an OLED.

Ok thanks. Im pretty sure I want an OLED for the quality but at the same time I have to admit yeah, I like to have the TV on the background for long periods and sometimes long gaming sessions and I worry about burn in and lifespan. Wouldnt want to have to replace every few years...would rather get something “pretty good” that will last way longer of it comes down to choice between lifespan and quality

The market is an interesting one in the US. There's a lot more competition.

I personally wouldn't go for the Q80T unless it was priced only a fraction more than models like the Hisense H9G or TCL R635. There's nothing really about it that warrants the extra compared to those TVs.

If you have a specific requirement for an LCD TV and better viewing angles, maybe. But I think the others are significantly better value for money.

Ok thanks. There are so many models and so many with similar names that it gets really confusing of youre not intimately familiar with this stuff. I was thinking somewhere around $1000 (US) was my limit.

A good resource for comparing TVs. Vizio Quantum is also another option cheaper than the Samsung.

Thanks. I guess Ive always thought of Vizio as a “lower” brand compared to your Sonys, Samsungs, LGs, etc. Maybe thats just elitism based in ignorance.

In some respects they are worse, upscaling is worse which can be a factor if you are using cable TV. The smart TV isn't great. But sheer HDR performance the quantum x is actually better than more expensive TVs. Its a bit like the Hisense H9G in that respect, only even better with HDR.

So it really depends where your priority is, TVs like the Hisense and Vizio are going to impress the most if you feed them with the good stuff, whilst the TCL/Samsung will be more all rounders.

cable is at&t now, currently via a firestick...with a smart tv that’d be obsolete. Gaming via hdmi/ps4.

I have noticed many games are exceedingly dark where theyre dark, despite messing with gamma/blacks etc, and I dont mean in an “intentional challenge” kinda way (like yourre supposed to need a torch in that area), more like a weird design decision. I dont know if hdr would help with that or not. Otherwise Ive lived without it this long and its fine...I would assume it only works properly when fed hdr content?

If you have a firestick 4k that'll do the upscaling too. What you describe in games could be a design decision, or could be because you are playing in bright conditions.

Games developers nowadays will design the game with HDR in mind, so the more capable the TV is with HDR, the better the games will look.

Every TV mentioned recently will work fine with HDR content.

When you say "games...nowadays"...how far back does that stretch? A few years? A decade? I've noticed that issue for years. I consider the room I play in a very regular level of brightness...daylight blocked out, one overhead light using 40ish watt LED

The HDR era, so when they started to make games with HDR in mind.

HDR forces the games console to output a limited range of 16-235 steps which is the same format movies and TV series have always been.

In the past (pre HDR era) games were instead using a full range of 0-255 which meant with the TV set up at the matching range, they could also show black shades from 0-16 which otherwise are missing from video content, and are now missing from HDR games too.

In other words, because the expected level of absolute black is now higher in HDR games, the developers should create games with that in mind. There shouldn't be any lost detail in the low range like there would be if you were still gaming in SDR.

In the past common reasons that SDR games (pre HDR era) would seem too dark would be incorrectly matching ranges set on console and TV, some TVs just not supporting full range, or because the developers intend you to be gaming in a pitch black environment and you're instead playing with lights on.

Because of HDR the minimum black level will be slightly higher, but they can still design games to be used in very dark conditions though, and that can be offset by calibrating the TVs gamma level if you have a bright room.

A TV that has the best shadow detail close to black will be the best at not completing 'blacking out' these moments in games. Sadly its an area that is weak on a lot of TVs, including Samsung. Sony are better in this regard.

With Vizio and TCL shadow detail shouldn't be as bad as with Samsung TVs. With Hisense TVs like the H9G it may be similar to Samsung (eg crushed).

Hi, new member here with what I'm sure is the most asked question on this board. Look like it's time for a new TV, as my old one has developed an issue I'm not capable of fixing (and is probably not worth the money to have professionally done, as this TV is around 13 years old.

So, I'm looking at what's out there, and of course it's overwhelming, with all the review sites with their own recommendations, and who knows who they're all "sponsored" by.

The TV I now is 42", fine for watching, not so great for gaming from that distance. I'm thinking 55" is a good size for a new one, as I sit about 11 feet from the screen. Also I have a custom built (handy girlfriend) table the stand rests on that is 48" wide, so stand footprint can't be wider than that.

I wanted to stay under $1000 (preferably way under. I got my --in my opninion-- sweet Panasonic Viera plasma for around $800 back in 2007 or 8, I would assume there's good stuff for that price these days). I guess OLED is the thing now, but most of those are pricey unless they come with severe compromises (Samsung Q60, from what I've read) that might make an LED the better deal at that price point. Viewing angle can be narrow, it'll just be me or possibly me and the aforementioned girlfriend, no superbowl parties here. Would like nice color and even illumination (I understand the FALD/full array is the way to go here, rather than edgelit or the in-between one), good HDR performance apparently important.

As I mentioned, I do play games and the idea of blurs or trails on movement doesn't sound very appealing, so 120 hz seems like something I'd want.

The one thing I don't care much about (at least I think) is how "smart" it is...I have a PS4 and can do the apps from there if necessary, or mirror from computer, iphone, etc.

So...why are the choices/compromises, given all that? What are some models to agonize over? Any way to get older models from a year or two ago at reduced prices that would be worth it (but somewhere with a warranty/guarantee, not just off of Craiglist etc.)?

Thanks.

Because TV's have VESA mounts there is no need to use the built in stand. You can get a table stand much narrower than the TV. I have my 55" on this stand. It raised to accomodate a centre channel speaker under the TV. If you do no need this it can be much lower.

The tilt can be used to reflect lighting lower than you eyes, which would be ideal if you want high level lighting reflections not being visible.

Amazon product ASIN B07J5LFYY1

Hi again. Sorry to keep harping on the same points. I read in another thread on here that end of the year is maybe the best time to buy, as old (i.e. current year) models drop way down 'cause retailers want to get rid of em to make room for new stuff. So if I were looking at something current, would it be better to wait or are Black Friday prices as low as they're likely to go, period?

I've searched on and off for the models mentioned here, am still not seeing what I'd consider good deals on a B9, C9, or Q80 series. So right now Q90 series and LG CX look like my best bets. All the companies are super "thirsty" so they've been posting their Black Friday deals all month. Still not seeing amazing discounts on anything I'm actually considering.

Last edited:
Clearance discounts start to happen at the end of the year but they are more common before, or as new models come out which is usually between spring and summer. Right now prices are okay, some models being better value than others. If you want to buy from a Korean or Japanese brand then prices are still on the high side with exception to maybe the Sony X900H and X950H. In sheer value for money though those TVs are already beaten by Chinese brands like Hisense and TCL, and in the case of OLEDs, USA & Vizio.

eeesh ...spring/summer. Im thinking maybe I DO want a 65”—I sit about 11 fr from the tv and I strugged gaming on a 42” (former TV, RIP) from that distance, and a 55” is only about 25% bigger. At that size the prices on everything we’ve talked about are too high for me (barring open box/refurb etc) except that Vizio quantum P, which sits right around $1000, so maybe that’s the way to go. A gaming site I visit liked the Sony x900h which is a little cheaper too.

Hisense H9G, TCL R635 and Vizio P Quantum are all good value right now.

The Sony X900H is an option if HDR isn't a priority since it only gets to around 750 nits. The higher end X950H is more comparable to the others above.

Thanks. Not to sound like a dullard but Im not sure how much I care about HDR... was always fine with the dynamics in movies/TV on the plasma, thing that drove (and drives) me nuts is dark as hell (and seemingly not by design) areas in video games. I read and reread and reread again what you or another poster said above about HDR but still not sure its a priority.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom