Question Time for a new TV

I guess what confuses me is if you have hdmi 2.1 but youre using a tv that doesnt have great hdr to begin with, how does that benefit you (or not) vs a tv with better hdr but the older version of hdmi? What would the differences/pros/cons be?

Thanks. That sort of helps, but if I'm reading right it seems like I'd want to (for gaming, though I will certainly use it for streaming and cable TV) prioritize HDMI 2.1/VRR etc over better HDR. In other words, the x900h would be the better TV (for gaming experience)?

On AVForums there are many enthusiasts that embellish the benefits of features. They have to have something to demonstrate their superior knowledge and so they way over state the differences between certain TVs/features.
When your on AVForums any question is going to get varied extreme opinions from a multitude of "experts".

For me I find Dodgexander's input to be the most practical and useful. He is very knowledgeable and presents his information as a way to help individuals make a rational choice rather than trying to impress you with how much he knows by embellishing the differences between features. For me I would read through what Dodgexander has written and make my choice based on his input.

Last edited:
On AVForums there are many enthusiasts that embellish the benefits of features. They have to have something to demonstrate their superior knowledge and so they way over state the differences between certain TVs/features.
When your on AVForums any question is going to get varied extreme opinions from a multitude of "experts".

For me I find Dodgexander's input to be the most practical and useful. He is very knowledgeable and presents his information as a way to help individuals make a rational choice rather than trying to impress you with how much he knows by embellishing the differences between features. For me I would read through what Dodgexander has written and make my choice based on his input.

Note: The only difference of opinions I have with Dodgexander is his views on IPS panels, especially if you don't watch your TV in a dark room, and sometimes he recommends unreliable TV's, such as Vizio TV's.

Is he American?

I saw that zing before it was edited.

Anyway going back it looks like he promotes HDR performances over the HDMI 2.1 capability. I guess then the only thing is how important VRR actually is (present in the 900, not the 950). I've never had framerate issues in games other than slowdown from too much happening/poor optimization... the 30 or 60 locked/max FPS has always been fine BUT it's a new era coming up.

I saw that zing before it was edited.

Anyway going back it looks like he promotes HDR performances over the HDMI 2.1 capability. I guess then the only thing is how important VRR actually is (present in the 900, not the 950). I've never had framerate issues in games other than slowdown from too much happening/poor optimization... the 30 or 60 locked/max FPS has always been fine BUT it's a new era coming up.
Have you looked at Consumer Reports? Consumer Reports is very good for evaluating TV's. They have five experts test, review and rate every TV in every size and then organize them from the best TV to the worst. Makes choosing a TV simple.

I'll check it out. Yes, "he" is American. We are known worldwide for our waffling on lower mid-priced consumer electronics.

I'll check it out. Yes, "he" is American. We are known worldwide for our waffling on lower mid-priced consumer electronics.

It's OK. We make allowances ;)

wipes forhead PHEW!

I guess I need to research how important HDMI 2.1 and VRR really are for the average gamer (not competitive, not "hardcore") in the real world.

wipes forhead PHEW!

I guess I need to research how important HDMI 2.1 and VRR really are for the average gamer (not competitive, not "hardcore") in the real world.

I would suggest they are not.

Well, I feel less dumb. This is apparently one of those highly polarizing topics like "Is Cyberpunk 2077 good?" There seem to be a 100 Reddit threads comparing these two TVs and as soon as you see "don't worry about HDMI 2.1 VRR etc." it's immediately followed by "you're a moron if you think those things aren't important." Over and over, thread after thread.

Well, I feel less dumb. This is apparently one of those highly polarizing topics like "Is Cyberpunk 2077 good?" There seem to be a 100 Reddit threads comparing these two TVs and as soon as you see "don't worry about HDMI 2.1 VRR etc." it's immediately followed by "you're a moron if you think those things aren't important." Over and over, thread after thread.
That is why you should go with Dodgexander's opinion. Talking about TVs is like talking about politics. Everybody is an expert, everybody talks with confidence and overstates things to express their opinions. You know as much about HDMI 2.1 and VRR as 90 percent of the "experts" giving you advice.

Rtings.com in their Best TV reviews says, “Be careful not to get to caught up in the details. While no TV is perfect, most TVs are great enough to please almost everyone, and the differences are often not noticeable unless you really look for them.”

I agree with Captain James when he says, "I suggest they are not",

Heeeeeeeyyyyyy guyyyyyysss. 'Member me? 'Member this thread? Those were the days, eh? So turns out I waffled so long that I figured might as well wait til the 2021 TVs come out and see what's what. Took way longer than I thought but I just kept waitin'. After much (more) agonizing, I finally settled on a 65" X90J.

I'm using a custom profile based on the advice of a couple Youtubers. To me it looks very nice other than slight vignetting in the corners. I don't watch in a darkened room so I don't mind the less-than-pefectly- black blacks. I have noticed sometimes shadow areas in certain shots are lit up more than it looks like they should be, and have coloration to them even though the lack any detail, but this is not consistent, and doesn't even happen in every show (some shows look fantastic). I'm wondering if it's an encoding/compression thing in the streams.

Anyway, generally a nice looking tube I think any but the most anal of pixel-peepers (GUILTY...I work i video production so I'm probably more attuned to this stuff than the average bear) would take an issue with.

I know many of have quit your jobs, gotten divorced, and generally suffered anxiety and night sweats waiting to hear how this all worked out for me, so I thought I'd put your minds at ease and give you some closure.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom