Question Time for a new TV

SadEffedTVGuy

Well, I've been reading up more (on other threads here, and other places), and it's looking like the Sony X900h (maybe 950), or a Samsung Q80T or 90T are the way to go...sounds like they all have VRR, local dimming, at least some HDR, and HDMI 2.1 (which is apparently important for reasons). Seems many think the Samsungs are overpriced. I'm thinking maybe a 55" is the right size after, all visualizing on my wall how large a 65 would be. I'll head over to Best Buy and see how they look in person at some point soon.

Dodgexander

In the US all but the X900H are capable TVs with HDR, so if you want the best picture quality when using HDR material I'd consider the other three.

You are correct in your assesment apart from the X950H. The only HDMi 2.1 features that TV has is eARC and ALLM. It doesn't use HDMI 2.1 ports like the others do.

X900H x2 HDMI 2.1 and x2 HDMI 2.0.
X950H x4 HDMI 2.0
Q80T/Q90T 1x HDMI 2.1 and 3x HDMI 2.0

SadEffedTVGuy

Ah ok thanks.

So just did a quick perusal and the internet says, yes, HDR is a big deal and yes, there is progressively more content that supports it as time goes on, including games and streaming content (yes I am way behind the curve...again, last TV was a 2007/8 Panasonic Viera Plasma). so I guess that's thing to care about when making this decision.

SadEffedTVGuy

Still agonizing. It seems like it would be between a 55" Q80 or 90 series, or the 65" X900H (one other choice is a 65" LG Nanocell, but I don't see much about those on here so I don't know how "worthy" they are) due to cost (unless I find a great open box deal). I'm still not sure 65" isn't just too big for my preferences (charts/advice on distance and size aside), even after staring at them at Best Buy for half an hour from the approximate viewing distance in my room.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I'd forget the LG Nanocell. Unless you need extremely wide viewing angles it's nowhere near as good as the others. It has a different type of panel (IPS LCD) that's great for wide viewing angles but poorer for contrast, uniformity and HDR performance.

SadEffedTVGuy

Ah ok thanks. It was hard to tell from the info I’d read whether IPS or VA panels were “better”. Guess that explains why I don’t see the Nano mentioned too much. No, wider viewing angle not a big concern.

SadEffedTVGuy

HA! Fair enough. I havent been researching and waffling since May exactly; I was waiting for a big sale (ie Black Friday etc). I am realizing its never gonna happen, and shiz is only JUST NOW “gettin real.”

Dodgexander

I went for the 65" Hisense H9G, its a great TV but it does have known motion blur which is apparent in about 5% of content.

TCL R635 and Vizio P series are also options.

TVs like the Q80T and Q90T are not worth downsizing for when you can get other TVs that perform almost as good at 65" for less.

The X900H is not a good HDR perormer.

The X950H would be the more premium option if you wanted to spend more money but I wouldn't downsize for it.

SadEffedTVGuy

Ok thanks. I had not thought of that....certain PQ features not being worth it at sizes below 65". A new wrinkle to consider.

RealityDysfunction

Seems that my attempt at humour/humor was not appreciated by the moderators!

So, in a serious attempt to help, I would suggest that, since you have waited so long already, you would be best to wait until the new year in the hope of finding a bargain.

I had a look on what is available at Best Buy in the Houston area and, in my opinion, nothing leaps out. Samsungs look overpriced, the best deal to me would be the 55" Sony X950H at $1200 (maybe a little cheaper open box). This is a well reviewed TV which is reported to deal well with the dark scenes you complained about with some games. If $1000 is a hard limit then look at the X900H which should be plenty bright enough (compared to your old plasma at least) and which Sony seems to be aiming at the gaming market with its HDMI 2.1 compatibility.

SadEffedTVGuy

haha, I took it as humor, but nice to see a mod trying keep a forum super civil.

regarding prices yes that was my impression as well.

Sounded like dodge was saying those Sony models and the samsungs werent worth it at 55” and I should go with something like a Hisense or TCL for that size.

Let me take a different tack... on paper the Vizio Quantum P or X is a good deal at 65”, but I cant stop finding threads about reliability issues with the software, TV rebooting every 20 minutes, taking forever to come on, etc. Serious issue or just a few very vocal complainers?

RealityDysfunction

Vizio not sold in UK, so not so sure on reputation. Customer satisfaction ratings average about 4.2 - which in a sane world would be brilliant, but is actually on the low side compared to the likes of Sony, LG and Samsung. Only a minority seem to suffer a serious problem however.
If you have nagging doubts about them, I would not buy one as you will be kicking yourself if you have a problem. Conversely, if you have a problem with a higher rated TV, you'll just feel unlucky!

My advice is still to keep waiting for 2021 and the vaccine - everything will seem better then!

SadEffedTVGuy

Yeah that’s a big “WE’LL SEE” to that last sentence (the vaccine = everything will be ok part).

I could wait til early 2021 (I just read around Jan-feb prices often go down) but dont really want to hold out til next summer when new TVs come out.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
TVs are at their cheapest in the Spring when new models start coming out.

Normally, when the 2021 models start arriving (not sure how prolific they will be for 2021 taking Covid into account, surely it must have affected development, lead times etc) the 2020 models get their highest discount.
I'd say they've discounted a little heavier, earlier this year, but this is far from a normal year. Who knows what's going to happen.

As to Vizio, they've started to come to the UK with a limited lineup of products. I've paid little attention to them so far so wouldn't like to comment other than they're a budget brand, much like Hisense. Some great value for money with the feature set but there are some issues.

SadEffedTVGuy

Thanks...I kinda had the impression about Vizio but wasnt sure. Was hoping not to wait til Spring so I suppose Im looking at streeeeettcchhhing my budget so I dont have buyer’s remorse.

SadEffedTVGuy

Ok folks. I think my guy is a Sony x950h, between price and features. Im also thinkin 65”. Heres a problem...I have a nice handmade table I want it to sit on (dont want to deal with mounting) but it’s only 4ft wide. The built in stand wont be adjustable (right?) and the feet will be too wide for said table (I think). Are the adjustable third party stands safe for a TV of this size? They certainly exist...but SHOULD they exist?

Dodgexander

Ok folks. I think my guy is a Sony x950h, between price and features. Im also thinkin 65”. Heres a problem...I have a nice handmade table I want it to sit on (dont want to deal with mounting) but it’s only 4ft wide. The built in stand wont be adjustable (right?) and the feet will be too wide for said table (I think). Are the adjustable third party stands safe for a TV of this size? They certainly exist...but SHOULD they exist?
The built in stand is adjustable.

Otherwise, yes 3rd party stands are safe, they fit to the wall mounting holes on the rear of the TV the same if you were attaching it to a wall.

SadEffedTVGuy

Ok thanks. Best Buy employee gave me bad info 'cause I asked if you could slide the feet in at and all and was told I could not. Maybe it's model-specific and she didn't know about the 950h.

Although I see that video is about a different model than the one I'm looking at?

SadEffedTVGuy

he’s baaaaaaaaaaack. so very sorry.

ok so the x950h has a reputedly better overall picture, better hdr, BUT lacks the hdmi 2.1 and vrr that the x900h has. so where would the priority be for gaming? I mean its not like the x900h is terrible right? just not as purty/punchy as the 950h?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I'd rather have the better HDR.

HDMI features are nice to have but you'll appreciate getting the basics right more IMO.

In saying that, I'm not a gamer.

SadEffedTVGuy

I guess what confuses me is if you have hdmi 2.1 but youre using a tv that doesnt have great hdr to begin with, how does that benefit you (or not) vs a tv with better hdr but the older version of hdmi? What would the differences/pros/cons be?

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JBL announces L52 Classic speaker and L75ms all-in-one
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony Bravia XR X95J TV range gets 65-inch model in August
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What was new on Blu-ray for July 2021
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
Samsung QD-OLED TVs primed for 2022 launch?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky to add NBCUniversal's Peacock service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom